DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DTMF tones while making a call

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    I have to try Go Dialer EX, but I can say that my phone's touch tones at full volume is about as loud as my old D1 when set to a volume level of 5 out of 16. This has been a pet peeve of mine since the D2.

Edit: I was able to find a "Go Contacts EX", and a "exDialer - Dialer & Contacts", am I close?
    HA! I forgot myself how I did this. I was thinking it was an app, but you're right, it's not! After fiddling with it a bit I realized that I did from my home screen Long Press, Shortcut, Go Dialer EX.

Sorry for the confusion I caused. "Getting old is not for sissies" Bette Davis.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr

Problem solved/Case closed

After several phone calls, I have found out that the issue I am having is the way it is. Per Motorola and Verizon, not hearing the DTMF tones (unless its up to your ear) is normal for the new Motorola Razor. (not Motorola Razor Max)
    Very surprised no one else has questioned this. And I have been to many forums till I decided to make some calls. In fact it also seemed no one on any of the forums had this phone, since it was obvious everyone's responses were usually "well their phone does it" (although not the phone I mentioned) or I have a (insert phone brand here) and I hear the tones.

Also, per Motorola, no fix for this is in the works at this time.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Actually, "exDialer - Dialer and Contacts" is much louder than either the stock dialer or Go Dialer EX. You all should give it a try. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    I am more confused now. So only you and I have phones that the DTMF does not work/not loud? I have been to other forums and it seems it works for others. I (and now you) are the only ones with this problem(?) Seems a little weird ya know?
    There are several apps I refuse to update since I don't use them. I am wonder if you have a few you haven't upgraded, and maybe this is what is causing the problem for us.

On a side note, I tried to exchange the phone at the Verizon store, but they wouldn't take it since 14 days had already passed. Guess they are a contracted Verizon store.

Guess I will try this ex dialer and see what happens.

UPDATE:
    installed the ex dialer, and it is no louder for me than what it was before I installed this app.
    Last edited by Robotics; 03-16-2012 at 05:48 AM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Sorry it's still a problem.

My tones seem loud enough for me and I update all apps, even those stock apps I don't use.

Don't know if that's useful information but I pass it on, fwiw.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Sorry it's still a problem.

My tones seem loud enough for me and I update all apps, even those stock apps I don't use.

Don't know if that's useful information but I pass it on, fwiw.
    Thanks Sally.
    Maybe I will update all of the stuff I dont plan on using. Be great if it made the DTMF tones louder. But I have my doubts.

I do have a question or 2 more if you dont mind.

When I got this phone the Verizon store took out my SD card from my first phone and put it in this one.
    Now when I hook the phone up to my pc or laptop, it shows to drives on the card. Like it was partitioned.
    I have MOT E and MOT F now. It is also much harder to find files I am trying to locate. Lots of duplicate folders...like dcim and DCIM. The one in caps is empty,
    the other has my pics in it.
    It is very confusing.

What I would like to do is tell the phone to whipe out everything, including the SD card. (it has already been backed up with what I need)
    Is it advisable to do this? I can't handle all these folders that are duplicates, and wouldnt be suprised if it caused a problem down the road.

Also, I called Verizon on this last week and they had me do a factory reset, trying to correct the no DTMF sound being heard (unless up to my ear) to work.
    Of course it didnt work.

I noticed The factory reset isnt really a factory reset, since I still was up to date on the OS.
    So my next question is, is there a way to whipe the phone back to the real factory settings? I want to try and get the update again, since it acted funny when I originally got the update.

Thanks for your time in this!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotics View Post
    Thanks Sally.
    Maybe I will update all of the stuff I dont plan on using. Be great if it made the DTMF tones louder. But I have my doubts.

I do have a question or 2 more if you dont mind.

When I got this phone the Verizon store took out my SD card from my first phone and put it in this one.
    Now when I hook the phone up to my pc or laptop, it shows to drives on the card. Like it was partitioned.
    I have MOT E and MOT F now. It is also much harder to find files I am trying to locate. Lots of duplicate folders...like dcim and DCIM. The one in caps is empty,
    the other has my pics in it.
    It is very confusing.

What I would like to do is tell the phone to whipe out everything, including the SD card. (it has already been backed up with what I need)
    Is it advisable to do this? I can't handle all these folders that are duplicates, and wouldnt be suprised if it caused a problem down the road.

Also, I called Verizon on this last week and they had me do a factory reset, trying to correct the no DTMF sound being heard (unless up to my ear) to work.
    Of course it didnt work.

I noticed The factory reset isnt really a factory reset, since I still was up to date on the OS.
    So my next question is, is there a way to whipe the phone back to the real factory settings? I want to try and get the update again, since it acted funny when I originally got the update.

Thanks for your time in this!
    I don't know of a way, short of rooting, you can go to a pre-update OS. There are many more knowledgeable than I about that, but I think your reset is "real" which you can verify by seeing if your applications are wiped. So I don't think you have anything to gain by doing that.

As far as duplicate folder names on your internal and external memory, I have that too and mine was a brand new SIM card. I can't remember the names right now but I also show an internal and external drive for my phone.

Some apps will use your external memory but some won't so you'll have some of the same folder and directories. That doesn't hurt anything. Sometimes I delete the empty ones but they reappear, lol.

I doubt updating unused applications will make a difference with your tones either but since I don't know why they are soft and mine aren't, I won't rule anything out.

Edit : I forgot to mention, there's no reason you can't wipe your SD card if you want. That, with a factory reset would put you back to "go" if that's what you want.
    Last edited by SallyC; 03-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    I know its nice to hear the DTMF tones but they only matter when on a call.

I would assume SallyC meant SDcard not sim card, but the 2 drives you see are the internal media area, and the external sdcard. So, you can copy all your pictures to the external dcim folder and go to the camera app and switch the folder to external, or copy all the pictures to the internal and delete the ones on the SD.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
    SallyC likes this.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Thank you for all the info Sally. Guess I will leave it all alone. I have a trouble ticket in with Motorola at their lvl3 tier. I am supposed to hear back from them Tuesday next week. The guy on the phone used the same phone I have and he said he can hear the tones fine on his. I find this pretty strange since mine and now a fellow co worker don't hear the tones (unless already in a call).

Thanks again for your responses.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    I know its nice to hear the DTMF tones but they only matter when on a call.

I would assume SallyC meant SDcard not sim card, but the 2 drives you see are the internal media area, and the external sdcard. So, you can copy all your pictures to the external dcim folder and go to the camera app and switch the folder to external, or copy all the pictures to the internal and delete the ones on the SD.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for explaining why I'm seeing the 2 drives (partition).

I just want to get to the bottom of this DTMF thing. It works on some phones but not others...this just isn't right, and points to an issue somewhere.

Its like Samsung telling me, well yeah we have a mute option on that TV, but since it doesn't work on yours, you still can use the vol. down button.

I cant wait to hear what Motorola has to say since I have a lvl 3 tech/dev working on it. now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links