DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is the old charger rumor true?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid (1)

Is the old charger rumor true?

Is it true that you have to use the charger which comes with your phone? Would it be bad to use my old Thunderbolt charger on my Razr? Does it even matter? Even if the voltage differs between each charger, they are both pretty big/powerful phones and it shouldn't be that different going from my thunderbolt to my Razr, right? Is there a website or some way I can look up the exact voltage or whatever each phone requires to charge and the voltage each charger puts out? Thanks.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    I use a blackberry charger for my bionic... lol hope that's not bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    No... They're all the same really. The only time different cables matters is sometimes for connecting to the computer.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post
    No... They're all the same really. The only time different cables matters is sometimes for connecting to the computer.
    Not so...there are considerable differences between one and another wall-wart (charging wall blocks). Some are very good at smoothing out the power to eliminate or minimize any fluctuations in voltage, reduce or eliminate any Radio Frequency Interference, and make sure that the current is consistent (Motorola chargers are one of them). Others are much less successful at minimizing these effects. The result for me has been that when using a non-Motorola charger on either the Droid 1 or Droid 2, and if I was trying to use the screen (digitizer) to scroll or select, the dirty power of the non-Motorola chargers caused the screen to be jittery and in some cases downright unresponsive, instead jumping all over the place, selecting things, moving icons, starting apps, etc., all with only one finger trying to scroll the screen. Disconnect the rogue charger, plug in the Moto charger, and the problems disappear.

I believe that for charging only, as long as the charger is rated at 800-850mah, it will do a fine job of charging, but you are likely to have the difficulties described above if trying to use the phone while plugged into one of these non-Moto chargers. It also didn't seem to matter if it was a name-brand charger or a China import no-name.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer6592 View Post
    Is it true that you have to use the charger which comes with your phone? Would it be bad to use my old Thunderbolt charger on my Razr? Does it even matter? Even if the voltage differs between each charger, they are both pretty big/powerful phones and it shouldn't be that different going from my thunderbolt to my Razr, right? Is there a website or some way I can look up the exact voltage or whatever each phone requires to charge and the voltage each charger puts out? Thanks.
    The voltage for the Micro USB is standardized at 5VDC. As for amperage, they are rated in mah, and the standard minimum is I believe 500mah, however most cellular phones need upwards of 800mah or more. The Moto chargers for the D1 and D2 are rated at 850mah, so to be sure it will charge fully the charger should be rated at least 850mah. A car adapter typically puts out considerably more, which is why they charge the phone so much quicker. I don't know the typical rating for car adapters, but it could easily be 1,200mah or higher.

Answers to the other questions are in a reply to rubiksc00p.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Not so...there are considerable differences between one and another wall-wart (charging wall blocks). Some are very good at smoothing out the power to eliminate or minimize any fluctuations in voltage, reduce or eliminate any Radio Frequency Interference, and make sure that the current is consistent (Motorola chargers are one of them). Others are much less successful at minimizing these effects. The result for me has been that when using a non-Motorola charger on either the Droid 1 or Droid 2, and if I was trying to use the screen (digitizer) to scroll or select, the dirty power of the non-Motorola chargers caused the screen to be jittery and in some cases downright unresponsive, instead jumping all over the place, selecting things, moving icons, starting apps, etc., all with only one finger trying to scroll the screen. Disconnect the rogue charger, plug in the Moto charger, and the problems disappear.

I believe that for charging only, as long as the charger is rated at 800-850mah, it will do a fine job of charging, but you are likely to have the difficulties described above if trying to use the phone while plugged into one of these non-Moto chargers. It also didn't seem to matter if it was a name-brand charger or a China import no-name.
    The OP was asking specifically about two quality chargers.

About all chargers though...
    It is really hit and miss... It is very subjective... Some penny chargers from China have great reviews and some nice chargers don't! :P
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post
    The OP was asking specifically about two quality chargers.

About all chargers though...
    It is really hit and miss... It is very subjective... Some penny chargers from China have great reviews and some nice chargers don't! :P
    Agreed, but as I said...even the "quality" chargers may not mate up well with the Droids. I haven't gotten my RAZR yet (expect delivery Monday), so I will be testing the chargers I have home here, which are known to cause interference for me on the D1 and D2. I'll report my findings then.

I do know that Motorola recommends you ONLY use THEIR approved or Verizon's re-branded (Motorola) approved chargers. The interference I have experienced may be the reason. I also know that if the phone fails and it can be attributed to using a non-approved charger, your warranty will not be honored by either Motorola or Verizon.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    Here's how I look at it. I don't think any chargers are going to hurt your device, but some definitely are better than others. Try them out, and see what works. I really doubt that VZ would actually blame a failure on a charger, but it's always possible...
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    ErickKincaid
    Phone
    HTC Hero
    it must be ok....otherwise it may effect on your cellphone
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Apologies if it has been stated already. I didn't read through the whole thread like I should have. Been really busy. But still no excuse. So if you want to flog me afterward, feel free.

But the main thing to look at is the polarity on the charger. Then after that, look ar the max power ratings - input and output volts, amps, mA and Hz. If it is damn close, it should be ok ONLY IF THE POLARITY IS THE SAME (i.e. positive and negative). AND make sure it is not drawing too much output power than the device's charger that it came with (also should be in the phone's manual and also on the charger that came with it. Its all the *funny* writting on the charger). Because if the charger that came with the phone is rated for output 5.1V 850mA and the output power on the charger you want to hook up is anything higher - like 6.4 - just as an example (there may not be such a voltage for the charger) - then you WILL fry your phone. If it is less, it will take longer for it to charge, but it will be ok (like car chargers. It is usually less...kinda... But different story.

Usually mini USB's are pretty universal. But you should make sure about the polarity. Sometimes they are reversed. And just make sure about the input power too, as you might come across a rare occurrence where it is different.

*Edited. I fixed input" to "output" where applocable.

*Further edited. I see that FoxKat had already said what I was saying. So let the flogging begin....

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain
    Last edited by firefighterguy; 11-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Links