DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: No HD video playback with ICS?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX

No HD video playback with ICS?

So I installed the ICS update yesterday on my Droid RAZR MAXX. I watch a lot of video on the phone. I went to watch some anime in Netflix and immediately said "WTF?" The quality is horrible. The best word to describe it would be "fuzzy." I tried rebooting, and clearing the cache and data for Netflix, but no dice. Then I had a thought. I launched YouTube, and... same problem. HD videos are not playing the same quality they were under GB in YouTube, either. They almost look as if they have some kind of fuzzy filter on top. Not quite the same as the low quality version I remember seeing if I was on a slow connection (I was on WiFi, cellular data connection at my home is practically non-existent).

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there any obscure settings I can look into to try to solve the problem, or is my only hope a factory reset? *shudders*

Edited to upload a side-by-comparison screenshot showing the problem, with Netflix playback on my computer on the left, and on my Razr on the right (click for full view!):

No HD video playback with ICS?-comparison01.jpg
    Last edited by silverdreams; 07-05-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
    jroc likes this.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Yea....I experience this as well. I think there might need to be a patch, update for this one...
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    Hmmmm... I've been continuing to search for others with the same problem, and so far have only found one aside from jroc. The possibilities seem thus: 1) Nobody uses their Razr to play HD video so they haven't noticed a problem (...unlikely?), 2) People watch HD video but just haven't noticed the drop in quality (also seems unlikely), 3) This is a rare glitch that requires a factory reset to fix. Number 3 seems the most likely answer to me, sadly. I have the day off, so I guess I'm off to try a factory reset. I will report back.

For what it's worth, the GPS stopped working a few weeks ago, and a factory reset fixed that for me. Fingers crossed it will fix this other critical problem.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Phone
    note 2
    Premium Member
    There was another thread on this and we are all experiencing the same poor pic quality on netflix, they need to fix this problem soon, this was one of the selling points on the razr when it first came out, i for one want it back, factory reset will not fix the problem

point of origin
    jroc likes this.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    From what I've learned, the problem is due to flash not working properly. I've heard people saying that FDR's have worked and that they haven't worked.

With me, my flash is working on and off and its just the luck of the draw on what site it works. But I know the flash is working, b/c it plays in HD. When flash isn't working, the ****ty picture will play. I have done everything short of a factory reset, and was goin to do that, but I heard that wasn't fixing the issue either, so I decided not to go through the hassle for not fixing the problem. However, I would do it if it would fix the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    I'm back. Add me to the list of people who were not helped by a FDR. :P

Could you please share the link to that other thread, xtor?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Netflix
    Just my 2cents. I'm thinking this is a cache problem . I tried the movie Starship Troopers and it was fuzzy at first then cleared up. This was over 4g .
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Netflix
    Just my 2cents. I'm thinking this is a cache problem . I tried the movie Starship Troopers and it was fuzzy at first then cleared up. This was over 4g .
    I don't think it's a cache problem. I grit my teeth and watched a full episode of a webshow on YouTube, and the quality never improved.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Netflix
    Same thing happened to me....over Wifi in my apt. But....Lets Golf 2 starts with a video clip. Same fuzziness. I already did a factory reset and its still there.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Same thing happened to me....over Wifi in my apt. But....Lets Golf 2 starts with a video clip. Same fuzziness. I already did a factory reset and its still there.
    Can u clear cache from stock recovery?? Or for u have to be rooted and do it form clock work or whatever it is with the RAZR?? I have only had my phone for 2˝weeks, and I haven't attempted to go there yet with this phone like I did with my X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links