DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Signal Strength

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Signal Strength

The signal strength on my Maxx is 1/2 of what it was pre-update. My wife's Maxx is still on GB and has 5 bars vs my 2.

Anyone experience this or have a fix ?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Bars mean nothing. Check the actual numbers..they are available in the settings somewhere.

The nexus went through this...

Here is an explanation: AnandTech - Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue

And here are the bars recalibrated in 4.0.4 on the Nexus: AnandTech - CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Update Changes Signal Reporting

So yeah, check the actual signal numbers and see if there is a drop. There may be (I don't know), but I bet you they just scaled the bars differently. Curious to see your findings.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Found signal strength in "About Phone" under Settings. The signal strengths ranged from -108dBm (2 bars) to -78 dBm (3 bars). My wife's phone, still operating GB, reflected -90 dBm (5 bars) to -85 dBm(5 bars) for the same period.

Sounds like there may be a change in the scale used to calculate the number of bars from GB to ICS.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Yea, GB was always really optimistic about singal level in regards to the # of bars it displayed. I think they've actually gone to a more usable scale in ICS.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Cant even go by the numbers anymore. ICS shows LTE bars and decibels more accurately.

I have seen in the exact same spot 1x, 3G and 4G all have different bars and decibels. 4G looked worse now than on GB too. Easy way to see this is in the About Phone or Network areas. On 3G, it should show 1x and 3G readings at the same time and it they be different. The bars will represent 3G if the phone is connected to 3G.

I think on GB and before...it was showing the 1x readings, cant remember now. Either way....on GB and before it wasn't showing the accurate 4G bars and decibels.
    Last edited by jroc; 07-01-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    Based on download/upload speeds this ics update ruined Motorola reputation for having best reception in business.

For example: I have nexus, wife has maxx. Her d/u speeds were always 2-3x of my nexus. After the update its same or worse then nexus. On both 4G and 3g.

I used to be able to watch espn over 3g on high definition with her phone, now it can hardly keep low def going without buffering. Motorola really ****ed up the radios with this update.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    Based on download/upload speeds this ics update ruined Motorola reputation for having best reception in business.

For example: I have nexus, wife has maxx. Her d/u speeds were always 2-3x of my nexus. After the update its same or worse then nexus. On both 4G and 3g.

I used to be able to watch espn over 3g on high definition with her phone, now it can hardly keep low def going without buffering. Motorola really ****ed up the radios with this update.
    After a few days of settling it should get better. I factory data reset and all is ten times better...my issue now is browser hanging occasionally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Phone
    note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droid2drummer

After a few days of settling it should get better. I factory data reset and all is ten times better...my issue now is browser hanging occasionally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    How do you do a factory data reset on ics?, what will i loose?

point of origin
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post

After installing ICS, my Maxx seems to run faster. I guess different strokes for different folks (as with most any Operating system update/upgrade)
    jroc likes this.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiesrul8 View Post
    After installing ICS, my Maxx seems to run faster. I guess different strokes for different folks (as with most any Operating system update/upgrade)
    Yea....cuz I havent had any better or worse battery life or worse data speeds after the ICS update. Those 2 things I have seen some ppl complain about.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links