DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Are there any downsides to ICS?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR

Are there any downsides to ICS?

Are there any downsides to ICS other than the 3g option being cut from the roster or is it all sunshine and gazebo baskets?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Only bummer for me is likely just a temporary setback til app developers sort it out. Seems that no 3rd party apps can toggle GPS ON/OFF (and possibly other functions) yet due to changes in direct calls in ICS. :/
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Themer Launcher
    Stock ROM (JB 4.3) -- awaiting KitKat

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Will the SmartActions app still be available in ICS? I have it set perfectly on my Razr and get 2 days between charges. I would be sad to lose that!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by selectgt View Post
    Are there any downsides to ICS other than the 3g option being cut from the roster or is it all sunshine and gazebo baskets?
    The only drawback I have found is the inability to keep your phone in CDMA/3g. Now with ICS it is LTE/4g, the option to select CDMA/3g in network settings is gone. Don't get me wrong, if you are not in a 4g area yet, or you loose 4g, the phone will revert back to 3g...you just can't "force it" into 3g. Other than that ICS is smooth, fast and has some very nice touches to the UI.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by NickNacNo View Post
    Will the Smart Actions app still be available in ICS? I have it set perfectly on my Razr and get 2 days between charges. I would be sad to lose that!
    Yes SmartActions is in ICS. Will it keep all your Smart Action settings after the upgrade...I don't know for sure but I would expect it will.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    melting in the heat outside.
    mysticalmalissa likes this.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    The only drawback I have found is the inability to keep your phone in CDMA/3g. Now with ICS it is LTE/4g, the option to select CDMA/3g in network settings is gone. Don't get me wrong, if you are not in a 4g area yet, or you loose 4g, the phone will revert back to 3g...you just can't "force it" into 3g. Other than that ICS is smooth, fast and has some very nice touches to the UI.
    I'm a little confused. According to this thread, there's an app called "LTE OnOFF" for the Thunderbolt that provides quick access for putting it in CDMA only.

ics and switching from 3g to 4g manually

Anyone know if this works or not?

Also, I read somewhere that it is "not healthy" for the phone to leave it in CDMA only. If true, what's the basis for that?

More than anything else, it seems to me this is Verizon's way of forcing people to use their LTE network. They spent major bucks on it and want people to use it to relieve 3G congestion.
    Last edited by Trash Can; 06-26-2012 at 08:57 AM.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Download the "LTE OnOff" app from the Google Play store. Once you download it and launch it, it takes you into a "hidden" section of phone settings, one of which is radio. There is a pull down menu where you can choose "CDMA auto (PRL)". Choose that and your phone will work in 3G exclusively. Change it back to "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" if and when you want to use 4G LTE.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Call me dumb...but, my Maxx is at home while I make my way to it. (Truck driver)...why would you want to force 3G over 4?
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
    I'm a little confused. According to this thread, there's an app called "LTE Switch" for the Thunderbolt that provides quick access for putting it in CDMA only.

ics and switching from 3g to 4g manually

Anyone know if this works or not?

Also, I read somewhere that it is "not healthy" for the phone to leave it in CDMA only. If true, what's the basis for that?

More than anything else, it seems to me this is Verizon's way of forcing people to use their LTE network. They spent major bucks on it and want people to use it to relieve 3G congestion.
    I don't know if the 3g/4g switch for the Thunderbolt works or not...I haven't tried it. As far as forcing people to 4g, that's a possibility. Verizon has for months been encouraging 4g users to keep their phones in 4g to free up their "very crowded" 3g network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links