DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Razr Maxx Battery Issues?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Battery seems back to normal today. I still have 1.5 to 2 hours of keep awake time though. No big drop offs or anything today.

Razr Maxx Battery Issues?-screenshot_2013-04-08-18-11-36.png
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Awesome! I always have some awake time...if you use the phone you will but mine was running like 9 hours of awake time! Your stats look good!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by GotnFX View Post

Awesome write up skibum! Not challenging you in anyway as I have no clue when it comes to UNIX or programing in general, but weird the tweaks put in JB has caused OS to be higher than ICS..I think this the concern.
    Challenge away. The Android OS is based on Linux, not UNIX, but the basic principles are the same. My guess is that you are looking at it backwards. JB is smoother, and snappier. To me, it seems that they optimized JB so that it makes processes get on and off of the processor more efficiently, which leaves more time for the OS to do the basic work of running the phone. My phone has been on for 31 hours and the Android OS has only used 4.5 hours of CPU time. That tells me that for about 26 hours, the CPU was free to do other things. Pretty good by most OS standards.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Blows Windows out of the park!!!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by _skibum View Post

Challenge away. The Android OS is based on Linux, not UNIX, but the basic principles are the same. My guess is that you are looking at it backwards. JB is smoother, and snappier. To me, it seems that they optimized JB so that it makes processes get on and off of the processor more efficiently, which leaves more time for the OS to do the basic work of running the phone. My phone has been on for 31 hours and the Android OS has only used 4.5 hours of CPU time. That tells me that for about 26 hours, the CPU was free to do other things. Pretty good by most OS standards.
    Wait..I honestly think I understand you believe it or not.lol...I remembered you had said that if everything is off on the phone..not running, then OS would be 100% of battery...but as apps are turned on or used, then the processor basically forgets about OS and focuses on the app or apps turned on, thus lowering the battery percentage used by OS and increases for the app or apps in use...then as apps turn off or are pushed aside (maybe not the best wording), then OS starts back up again..taking charge or should I say discharge of the battery..is this right or am I still way off?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by GotnFX View Post

Wait..I honestly think I understand you believe it or not.lol...I remembered you had said that if everything is off on the phone..not running, then OS would be 100% of battery...but as apps are turned on or used, then the processor basically forgets about OS and focuses on the app or apps turned on, thus lowering the battery percentage used by OS and increases for the app or apps in use...then as apps turn off or are pushed aside (maybe not the best wording), then OS starts back up again..taking charge or should I say discharge of the battery..is this right or am I still way off?
    Sounds like you're on track. What skibum and I are trying to say is that JB is so good at shutting stuff off that doesn't need to run when the phone is asleep that it reports the os as being the process that uses the most battery % (bold) of the battery consumed during that time (close bold). Not much battery was consumed when the phone was asleep.....but of that low battery consumption, a high %age was the os.
    _skibum and GotnFX like this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    That is exactly what I am saying!

Easy test. Start up the phone and run some apps for a while. If the OS is running properly, they will end up above the OS in the list. After you stop using the apps, let the phone sit idle for a while. The OS should gradually climb towards the top again. It should not jump right back up to the top immediately.

I had to edit this because I re-read your post and saw: "...but as apps are turned on or used, then the processor basically forgets about OS and focuses on the app or apps turned on"

No.. .the OS is never forgotten. It is the one thing that absolutely must run all the time. There is an application, process, or service associated with every little thing that your phone does. Many of them are actually a part of the OS, and the rest are associated with apps you have installed, or hardware that is unique to the device that it is running on. When apps are started, they become a process. That process might launch additional processes to do some background work, or activate system services that will allow it to interface with specific pieces of HW in your phone. You can see these under manage apps as "running" or "cached" processes. Cached processes are loaded in memory, but not actively being used. This allows them to start very quickly when needed because the OS does not need to load them into memory and create "contexts" for them. To understand a context, you need to remember that a CPU core can only run 1 process at any point in time. How can the phone do so many things at once? Easy, it runs some of each process or service for a little bit of time (called a time slice) in rapid succession. Kinda like those little books that show a movie when you flip the pages. Each page is a still image, but by giving each page a brief slice of time in rapid succession, we see a movng image. Same concept. The OS controls task scheduling. Every process that needs to run gets a context. The context contains a chunk of memory, which holds the program code, any data that the program uses, as well as a copy of the CPU core's registers. To make everything run, the OS makes a list of contexts, and simply jumps from one to another doing a little bit of work on each one. To us, it is all happening at the same time. On a 2 core CPU, the OS will manage 2 task lists, and all of the contexts associated with the processes running on each core. The OS is working its ass off all the time. If you are not running any apps, the OS is still bouncing around running all of the processes that do the basic stuff, but there are lots of empty time slices between the ones that the OS uses for itself. As you run apps, the OS simply does more stuff by filling in the empty time slices with processes.
    Does that make better sense?
    Last edited by _skibum; 04-09-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Further explanation...
    GotnFX likes this.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Wow. I actually understood that explanation! Guess that also explains why task killers are battery killers too...the OS has to keep starting the processes it needs when the task killer shuts it down. Pretty fantastic little device we have here.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    I would pay good money to hear FoxKat and skibum argue
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    No way. Foxkat knows a lot more about Android phones than I ever will. I'm just an old computer geek that happens to know OSs.

And yeah, task killers really can screw with the OS. If you do not want something running on your phone, remove it, or find a way to stop it from running.
    Last edited by _skibum; 04-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Links