Interesting, my phone started malfunctioning when I did the OTA jelly bean. I called, they sent me the "like new", I didn't like the way it looked initially(not bad, but not "like new"). Called again, they sent me another one. In the meantime, I had started setting up the 1st replacement, rooted, restored some apps. Not bad, but doesn't seem quite right, not downloading my most important database for HanDBase, other small differences. Thinking of going to the 3rd phone, but the set up (again) is such a pain...
So, yeah just got the 3rd replacement today....... External speaker is messed up! Can't even understand a voice when put on speaker phone when taking a call. I am getting sick of hearing that ridiculous speech about a 100 point inspection. Really? I think I can recite it by heart now. Unreal. Just got off the phone with VZ and now they say they can't sent out another phone until at least 2 phones come back. This has all taken place in a week and a half mind you and I think it takes at least 4 days to get a package to wherever is going. What's it going to take to get a new freakin phone? I don't get it.
Also, always use the original cords..I know one night I used my wife's blackberry charger on accident and my phone went crazy...
Last edited by GotnFX; 04-05-2013 at 08:27 AM.
I just literally turned on my second replacement, going through the setup process, now. It came at least 80% charged.
Edit: Got the Re-replacement turned on, went to settings and I've been seeing "Just a few moments while we prepare this application for use" for the last 10 minutes at least.
Edit #2: I hit the home button, went back to home and it went away. Went back to Settings and it wasn't there. BTW, the second replacement came with the official .16 JB OTA.
Last edited by JOSHSKORN; 04-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
I asked about an "updated" phone as long as I had to get a replacement anyway, I was told it had to be the same Razr Maxx. Didn't like the 1st one I got...didn't look "like new", though there was nothing specifically wrong, just felt cheated. I called again, they sent a 2nd replacememt (I've already partly set up the 2nd in the meantime. Oh well). This one really does seem "like new", at least in appearance. Later I'll start the whole transfer pain in the behind resetting up of it (thought Titanium Backup would make it easy, must have done something wrong, didn't get much help from it). Anyway, it did pay to try again, wasn't much push back at Verizon.