DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Jelly Bean and Battery Life

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member
    One thing I always recommend after an OTA is a FDR... yes it is a pain in the butt, but usually clears up any issues your system is having because of old files merging with the new ones... My 2 cents.
    TisMyDroid likes this.

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    My battery life is fantastic with the JB update. The original JB rollout dropped it from about 18 hours with ICS down to 12 hours with version .211. At that point I used Matt's fix and brought the battery life with .215 up to 22 hours. Then for the latest JB stock update, my battery life is over 30 hours, without doing an FDR. I don't use Google now, and keep away from most widgets. I also keep my location and bluetooth off with the power strip, except when I have the need to use them, and I disabled some unnecessary bloatware.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig 04 View Post
    This is weird. When ICS came out people complained about horrible battery life. Now JB comes out and they complain about worse battery life than when on ICS!

Crazy as it may seem to y'all my battery life increased quite a bit after JB. Now it did run my media server pretty high at first for the first few days but it cleared up and I super satisfied with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I put the phone on a charger at around 2pm yesterday. Used it very little. It was 'inactive' from 10pm to 8pm. GSam says I'm down to 64%. Application Usage constitutes 50% whith the Kernel the biggest offender - 37.4%. I'm not happy at all. Here is what I am thinking about doing. Desperate times require desperate measures. I thinking about going into Settings>Privacy>and doing a Factory data reset. Then re-install only the applications that I need and see if I can improve battery life. First though, I’d like to know if whether battery life may be compromised by the fact that Google apps access to my location is switched ‘on’. Notes indicated that while switched on Google apps access locations even while not in use. Non –Google apps are turned off in Settings>Location access. Will turning these things off have an effect on battery consumption? What if anything is the downside? Will I no longer be able to use tools like Car Home Ultra and Google Maps/Navigation tools?
    Telescopist
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I too have seen about a 20% drop in battery life since the JB update. Kernal rules the heap with over 60% most of the time. Maps 2nd. It seems to be settling down over the past day or so. FDR, clear Cache and battery monitor calibration hasn't affected it in the least. At least with the Maxx, I still get through the day fine.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX
    I guess I am one of the few who have seen an increase in battery life... went from aroudn 14 hrs avg to nearly 20 hrs pn charge and I have changed nothing other than the update. I did clear the cache after the update though.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam74 View Post
    I too have seen about a 20% drop in battery life since the JB update. Kernal rules the heap with over 60% most of the time. Maps 2nd. It seems to be settling down over the past day or so. FDR, clear Cache and battery monitor calibration hasn't affected it in the least. At least with the Maxx, I still get through the day fine.
    Fed up, I just performed a factory reset. Currently loading only those apps I need. I'll probably follow Little Missy's tutorial on recapturing the tethering experience that was lost with the the JB 'upgrade' Too funny calling this an upgrade.
    Telescopist
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I don't consider myself a heavy user. Pre JB, my average was 2 days 22 hrs according to GSam. Now, it is under 48 hours. So, it's not a huge issue for my needs.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam74 View Post
    I don't consider myself a heavy user. Pre JB, my average was 2 days 22 hrs according to GSam. Now, it is under 48 hours. So, it's not a huge issue for my needs.
    Well, by my reckoning you just got wacked for @31% of your battery juice. It took forever before Verizon decided to 'release' this latest and greatest version to those of us who own Razr's. I'd like to know what we got for the upgrade besides a 31% decline in battery life. Google Now? What else that I didn't know I was missing? I just got done loading some of my apps after doing a factory reset. I'm charging again now. Will be interested in seeing my bright move made any difference in consumption of resources.
    Telescopist
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Odd I get much better battery life on JB. ICS was nearly a complete failure for me. Slow, I had lots of pauses and the dreaded redraw, where the home screen would be empty and then slowly add icons one at a time them finally my weather widget.

JB snappy fast on WiFi I can get two days on my phone, 4G at work is another story but I still can go all day. Every one at work has the same problem, iPhone users included. There are several dead zones on the building I work and the phone struggles to get signal.

This was yesterday at my GF's house.
    Jelly Bean and Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1363884666586.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Your reckoning is correct... I hope your factory reset does more for you than it did me. A bright spot is that as I recall, I had the same battery decline when I first went up to ICS. Over a few weeks, it improved significantly.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links