DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Update

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr

Update

I have an original razr maxx running on gingerbread. I had another that I upgraded to ics and had nothing but trouble. Verizon replaced the phone 4 times - all had the same problems - they eventually gave me a galaxy s3. I miss the battery life of the maxx. If I upgrade will it go right to jellybean or to ics? I am terrified to upgrade it and ruin another maxx (the others were useless after the ics upgrade). Any suggestions or should I just play it safe and stay with gingerbread and keep selecting "install later" every day?

Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I have a Droid Razr Maxx with JB on it and it is a fantastic phone. If it were useless I wouldn't have it. GB, ICS and JB all have their pros and cons but this phone has been the best phone I have ever had especially with JB on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by SJsRazr View Post
    I have an original razr maxx running on gingerbread. I had another that I upgraded to ics and had nothing but trouble. Verizon replaced the phone 4 times - all had the same problems - they eventually gave me a galaxy s3. I miss the battery life of the maxx. If I upgrade will it go right to jellybean or to ics? I am terrified to upgrade it and ruin another maxx (the others were useless after the ics upgrade). Any suggestions or should I just play it safe and stay with gingerbread and keep selecting "install later" every day?
    It won't skip. My guess if it never had ICS, it is then ICS. Once on ICS, then JB gets pushed. The file that is being pushed looks at the current software version on the phone and makes sure you have all the system files present. If a system file is missing or not active, the upgrade will fail. If the push sees you are not on the previous version, it will fail. So the JB OTA is looking for ICS or a leaked JB, so it will fail if it sees you are on GB.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Darn, looks like I will be stuck on gingerbread forever . I had gotten two razr maxx phones when they were originally released. When the ics update came out I only updated the one line. After the update the phone overheated, kept rebooting itself, you couldn't enter text in most things, you couldn't download apps from the play store. Verizon replaced the phone many times. As soon as I received the replacement phone I had to upgrade it to ics, every phone had the exact same problems as my original one. Eventually verizon admitted that they had problems with the upgrade and replaced it with a galaxy s3. My concern is that if I upgrade to ics I will have the same problems and either will it be able to upgrade to jellybean or it will still be ruined even if I can get jellybean to install.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    It should update you to ics then to Jelly Bean, just make sure phone is charged.

If not, then I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to manually update to ics then ota update to jb

We are the Droid!!
    You will be assimilated!!
    Resistance is futile!!
    Droid Razr Maxx

We are the Droid, Resistance is Futile
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I got the notification today for the JB update but I delayed it. MY husband has a razr m and I do not like the changes for JB. So for now I am not updating my phone. I am currently on ICS.
    Cons for me
    Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics
    google search bar on every screen
    chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me)
    Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie2057 View Post
    I got the notification today for the JB update but I delayed it. MY husband has a razr m and I do not like the changes for JB. So for now I am not updating my phone. I am currently on ICS.
    Cons for me
    Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics
    google search bar on every screen
    chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me)
    Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB
    I agree with your thinking. I'm running my maxx on the .215 leak and get great battery life and phone performs good. I did see you can still run the hotspot if you follow the info in this thread:
    Rooting with new JB update?
    Improving my RAZR MAXX one thread at a time.

Aaron

"A George divided against himself, cannot stand!
    !
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I upgraded to JB from the 215 using the link above.
    I have not had any problems and my battery life is about the same as it was before.
    I also use the SQLite to get wifi working. No problems at all. 1 difference I had was that my change was online 79 not 66 like in the video. Find it by name.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by 2razrmaxx View Post
    I upgraded to JB from the 215 using the link above.
    I have not had any problems and my battery life is about the same as it was before.
    I also use the SQLite to get wifi working. No problems at all. 1 difference I had was that my change was online 79 not 66 like in the video. Find it by name.
    I have not managed to get any other hotspot wifi app working. I get the error message that directs me to call a phone number. Foxfi was no issue when I added it months ago.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie2057 View Post
    Cons for me
    Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics (WallpaperWizardii fixes this)
    google search bar on every screen (You can remove the search bar)
    chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me) )You can download another browser to use, and not make Chrome your default even though it is great)
    Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB(Simple root + a WiFi app and you will have your hotspot back, works fine for me)
    My thoughts in bold.
    Last edited by Redsnk95; 03-21-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links