DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Factory Reset...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Verizon)
    Okay, I have System version 6.16.215.XT912.Verizon.en.us on my Razr Maxx, which means that I will have to go back to version .211 before I can get the JB OTA update (WHENEVER it finally comes out). I am confused, however, by something in FoxKat's instructions for doing this...

In step 13, after flashing the .211 file back onto the phone, he says that I don't HAVE to erase the user-installed apps or my personal data! Obviously, I'd love it if that is true, since I wouldn't need to re-install all my apps, pictures, data, etc.!

Could someone please tell me if this is truly the case, can I really reset back to the stock .211, so that I can get the JB OTA update, WITHOUT erasing all the existing stuff on my phone?!?!

Thanks in advance for any and all help here!
    Last edited by Raven1155; 02-20-2013 at 09:40 AM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    It is really the case, though for optimum performance I'd recommend a Factory Reset in any case. If you use Titanium Backup it's mostly a breeze to get all your stuff back afterwards in any case; the biggest headache is reinstating your system settings.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Verizon)
    Thanks, but this just adds to my confusion... Are you saying that it's not a "Factory Reset" if I don't delete the apps and data?

Oh, also, Titanium Backup it's only for rooted phones, isn't it? I'm not rooted and I don't really plan to be.

Thanks for helping!
    - Jim 8^)
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Factory reset erases everything and makes it like it was out of the box, but with ics installed.

We are the Droid!! You will be assimilated!! Resistance is futile!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
    Droid Razr Maxx

We are the Droid, Resistance is Futile
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven1155 View Post
    Thanks, but this just adds to my confusion... Are you saying that it's not a "Factory Reset" if I don't delete the apps and data?

Oh, also, Titanium Backup it's only for rooted phones, isn't it? I'm not rooted and I don't really plan to be.

Thanks for helping!
    - Jim 8^)
    As mentioned above, a Factory Reset will delete your apps and data stored on your phone (not on the SD). That's why it's called a Factory Reset; it restores your phone to "just out of the factory" condition.

TiBU is only for rooted phones, yes. Frankly I'd root my phone just to have it. It saves apps and data to your SD, so if you do an FDR all you need to do is reinstall TiBU and start the restore.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by doniago View Post
    TiBU is only for rooted phones, yes. Frankly I'd root my phone just to have it. It saves apps and data to your SD, so if you do an FDR all you need to do is reinstall TiBU and start the restore.
    I appreciate the responses, though I have to admit that I still don't understand why we are given the option to NOT erase everything (in the instructions about rolling back to .211) if it's basically required, or at least recommended, to do so...

The idea of rooting scares me, to be honest. At the very least, I can't see doing it until after Verizon and/or Motorola sends out the OTA JB upgrade. Even after that, I'm not sure if the advantages of rooting outweigh the risk of bricking my phone or being cut off by Verizon for having rooted. My problem, I suppose...

Thanks again for your help!

- Jim 8^)
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven1155 View Post
    I appreciate the responses, though I have to admit that I still don't understand why we are given the option to NOT erase everything (in the instructions about rolling back to .211) if it's basically required, or at least recommended, to do so...

The idea of rooting scares me, to be honest. At the very least, I can't see doing it until after Verizon and/or Motorola sends out the OTA JB upgrade. Even after that, I'm not sure if the advantages of rooting outweigh the risk of bricking my phone or being cut off by Verizon for having rooted. My problem, I suppose...

Thanks again for your help!

- Jim 8^)
    I think you have the solution/answer to your concern...if you're scared then don't root. I think it wise to wait for the official OTA update to JB, but you will have to restore your phone from .215 back to .211 as you have discussed earlier...using the RazrUtility. Doing a factory reset after that process (restoring to .211) is recommended...not required...just recommended. Many users do a factory reset prior to taking an OTA update and one immediately after a OTA update. The factory reset, although a PITA, is the best way to clean out all the "trash" that can accumulate in your phone over time...particularly if you have downloaded and installed and then uninstalled ROMs, apps etc.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Good thread, I was wondering the same. Thanks.
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    The factory reset, although a PITA, is the best way to clean out all the "trash" that can accumulate in your phone over time...particularly if you have downloaded and installed and then uninstalled ROMs, apps etc.
    Thank you very much, you've been most helpful!

- Jim 8^)
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    I keep reading that we must go back to .211 from .215 (which is installed on the pohone in question) in order to receive the OTA. How do we know that this is the case unless someone has already experienced NO OTA because they had .215 on their phone? Did someone then go back to .211 and then receive the OTA? I've read everything I could find on the subject and have yet to see any convincing evidence that we must go back to .211...unless of course I've missed some piece of clear documentation to this effect. Any help would be appreciated as I would prefer to NOT have to go back to .211 unless it's absolutely necessary. I suppose if by the end of March I still do not get the OTA that this would clearly show that a return to .211 is necessary.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links