DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Excessive Battery Drain

  1. Droid Newbie
    Langer6431's Avatar
    Member #
    329883
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #1

    Excessive Battery Drain

    In the past two weeks my phone`s battery has taken a crap all over the place. When it was a couple months old it would typically last two days on one charge with 5 or 6 hours of screen time by the end of day 2. Now I can barely get through the whole day even on mostly wifi. Last night in a matter of 20 minutes it went down from 50% to %30 from just sending a couple text messages alone. The crazy thing is I look under settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Screen is right where it should be, Android OS is at 14% and everything else is perfectly normal. I truly don`t get it! I bought the Maxx for battery life. If I didn`t care about battery life I would have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. What do you guys recommend a factory reset or a trip to the Verizon Store?
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    aarong03's Avatar
    Member #
    270369
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    355
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Langer6431 View Post
    In the past two weeks my phone`s battery has taken a crap all over the place. When it was a couple months old it would typically last two days on one charge with 5 or 6 hours of screen time by the end of day 2. Now I can barely get through the whole day even on mostly wifi. Last night in a matter of 20 minutes it went down from 50% to %30 from just sending a couple text messages alone. The crazy thing is I look under settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Screen is right where it should be, Android OS is at 14% and everything else is perfectly normal. I truly don`t get it! I bought the Maxx for battery life. If I didn`t care about battery life I would have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. What do you guys recommend a factory reset or a trip to the Verizon Store?
    Have you done battery training for your phone? Sounds like that might need to be done. Foxkat's battery training is a method for calibrating the battery meter itself.

    1. Charge phone while off with wall charger to 100%.
    2. Then unplug and use phone till you reach 10% and then shutoff phone and charge again with wall charger.
    3. Then use phone again. This should help with your battery issue, if there is nothing else running the battery down.

    You can find his method here in more detail, but I think I covered the important steps.
    Improving my RAZR MAXX one thread at a time.

    Aaron

    "A George divided against himself, cannot stand!
    !
  4. Droid Newbie
    Langer6431's Avatar
    Member #
    329883
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #3
    I always charge my phone with it powered off.
  5. Master Droid
    aarong03's Avatar
    Member #
    270369
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    355
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Langer6431 View Post
    In the past two weeks my phone`s battery has taken a crap all over the place. When it was a couple months old it would typically last two days on one charge with 5 or 6 hours of screen time by the end of day 2. Now I can barely get through the whole day even on mostly wifi. Last night in a matter of 20 minutes it went down from 50% to %30 from just sending a couple text messages alone. The crazy thing is I look under settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Screen is right where it should be, Android OS is at 14% and everything else is perfectly normal. I truly don`t get it! I bought the Maxx for battery life. If I didn`t care about battery life I would have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. What do you guys recommend a factory reset or a trip to the Verizon Store?
    I found it,

    Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

    Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;

    Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
    Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
    The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
    After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
    Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
    Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
    After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
    Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.

    Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).
    Improving my RAZR MAXX one thread at a time.

    Aaron

    "A George divided against himself, cannot stand!
    !
  6. Droid Newbie
    Langer6431's Avatar
    Member #
    329883
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aarong03 View Post
    I found it,

    Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

    Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;

    Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
    Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
    The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
    After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
    Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
    Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
    After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
    Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.

    Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).
    That is what I do every time I charge my phone. I honestly think I have a bad battery.
  7. Master Droid
    aarong03's Avatar
    Member #
    270369
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    355
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Langer6431 View Post

    That is what I do every time I charge my phone. I honestly think I have a bad battery.
    Then I may have to agree with you.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
    Improving my RAZR MAXX one thread at a time.

    Aaron

    "A George divided against himself, cannot stand!
    !
  8. Master Droid
    moset's Avatar
    Member #
    119707
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rural South GA
    Posts
    872
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    #7

    Re: Excessive Battery Drain

    Just a thought and I think I heard you mostly use WiFi, but has anything changed as for radio signal?
    There's an app, Gsam battery monitor that will give you some interesting stats.
    Maybe an app is keeping the phone awake?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Phone discharging at excessive rate; calendar using 45% of battery
    By grizcoach in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 03:10 AM
  2. Circular battery meter, low battery drain, no root needed
    By mountainbikermark in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
  3. Battery drain not linear?(good battery life though)
    By dpaine88 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
  4. Normal Battery Drain vs. Faulty Battery
    By blunta in forum Droid 2 Tech Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
  5. Excessive battery use after Lookout anti-virus update.
    By DesktopDevin in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Search tags for this page

android battery drain virus

,

android virus battery drain

,

android virus drains battery

,

android virus kills battery

,

battery drain virus

,
does lookout drain battery
,

lookout battery drain

,

phone virus drains battery

,
razr maxx battery drain
,
virus that drains battery
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+