DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_G View Post

If I am correctly reading what you typed, Titanium Backup will essentially make an image of my phone and store it on my SD card? What if I did a backup and then a FDR, reverting back to Ice Cream Sandwich and ran the restore for Titanium Backup? Would it put my phone back to Jellybean and restore my software and settings to when I did the initial backup? Keep in mind I do not have root access now, but as long as this backup restores Jellybean and my apps then I have no worries.
    Keep in mind i am pretty fresh at this myself, but that is the way it is supposed to work. Some of the more senior guys would be able to give you alot more info, but essentially thats it. The only part i dont believe is true is the part about about reverting back to ics. Im assuming you upgraded to jb on an ota upgrade. If you factory reset, it is still gonna be on jb because the system was over written unless you did a backup while on ics. If, however, you were on ics and did a backup, then installed a jb rom, and decided you no longer wanted it or it wasnt working properly, then you could use the back up to restore the ics. This would also work if you backed up then did the ota update. As stated earlier on the posts though, titanium only works if rooted. Rooting razrs is really simple though. There is a gui someone made that you basically plug in your phone to your pc and hit enter in the cmd prompt.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post

Actually, no....well, sort of...In order to do a FULL backup (apk's/data/SMS/call logs.... everything) you must be rooted. My Backup Pro will backup without being rooted, but not data and settings.

The free version of TiBu will back up everything, but the added features of the pro version make it worthwhile. The batch restore feature alone is worth it. Otherwise, you are restoring every application and data of that application individually. Also, paid version allows backup to your DropBox account.

As far as working if your phone gets bricked, well ...you have to be able to power phone on with an operating system. You can" restore" the phone using Matt's Utility, and once it is functional, use TiBu to restore set up, data, apps, etc...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you Sherri. I think my one big question is this: lets say my phone is soft bricked. I can get to recovery, and i have everything backed up to my sd card. Using the update.zip file, can i get past the soft brick and make the phone boot up so i can add everything back using titanium. I guess i should really call it boot loop instead of brick, but from my limited experience, its the same thing

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD w/JB
    Double posted by accident
    Last edited by Idaho_G; 01-27-2013 at 03:19 PM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD w/JB
    Quote Originally Posted by newbroot83 View Post

Keep in mind i am pretty fresh at this myself, but that is the way it is supposed to work. Some of the more senior guys would be able to give you alot more info, but essentially thats it. The only part i dont believe is true is the part about about reverting back to ics. Im assuming you upgraded to jb on an ota upgrade. If you factory reset, it is still gonna be on jb because the system was over written unless you did a backup while on ics. If, however, you were on ics and did a backup, then installed a jb rom, and decided you no longer wanted it or it wasnt working properly, then you could use the back up to restore the ics. This would also work if you backed up then did the ota update. As stated earlier on the posts though, titanium only works if rooted. Rooting razrs is really simple though. There is a gui someone made that you basically plug in your phone to your pc and hit enter in the cmd prompt.

I did a OTA upgrade to JB and I thought doing a FDR put it back to stock software, which in this case is ICS. Am I incorrect? If so, can I not root my Maxx HD?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Idaho
    It looks like there is a method some have used to root it on phandroid. Its a little quirky, but seems simple

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    http://androidforums.com/razr-razr-m...ow-rooted.html

Sorry this is the link.

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Re: suggestions?

If you did the OTA to Jelly Bean, you can NOT go back to ICS.. If you were rooted on ICS, there was a method to dual boot into the 2 different kernels, but once you did the OTA (without using the dual boot utility), you are on JB.

At one point, when the "leaked" JB kernel came out, there was an issue with maintaining root. However, since then, root has been achieved on JB.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1

Quote Originally Posted by newbroot83 View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion on the best and safest way to create a full backup of my razr maxx. Just in case it ever gers bricked....

To the initial post. I'm pretty sure there is no way to back up your system (operating system/firmware).
    You can "brick" by messing with those files if you don't know what you're doing, and even if you do sometimes.
    There are files from Moto (SBF) that may restore your OS if things go wrong but as far as I know they are not available for JB. Because of the locked bootloader the kernel cannot be changed without the "key" which Moto holds.
    So, there is no "backup" you can do to prevent bricking your phone.
    As far as I know there also no way back to ICS from JB.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by moset View Post

To the initial post. I'm pretty sure there is no way to back up your system (operating system/firmware).
    You can "brick" by messing with those files if you don't know what you're doing, and even if you do sometimes.
    There are files from Moto (SBF) that may restore your OS if things go wrong but as far as I know they are not available for JB. Because of the locked bootloader the kernel cannot be changed without the "key" which Moto holds.
    So, there is no "backup" you can do to prevent bricking your phone.
    As far as I know there also no way back to ICS from JB.

Im not looking to keep from bricking. All im looking for is something like a nandroid backup. If i do something, and dont like it or i lose some availability on my phone, i would like to basically have a restore point. Im not sure if i am conveying what i mean correctly....

The whole reason i want this is because i was using bootstrap to create a backup on an x2, and it went into bootloop. If i had made a backup (nandroid I believe its called) i would have simply been able to load that backup and wouldnt have lost the phone.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1

Ahhh!
    I think things have changed. There are many far more learned than I.
    I've been much more cautious since the days of Og Droid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links