DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Root for Jelly Bean is here!!!!!!

  1. Master Droid
    JOSHSKORN's Avatar
    Member #
    140567
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    406
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Redalert View Post
    Its a easy process. I've rooted before so ask and I can help. Plug or phone into PC. Then pull down notification tray and tap on the connection type and put into MTP mode
    How does the general user experience change when you root? Or, does it? I'm referring to calling/texting/other apps/widgets. If I root, can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM? What's MTP mode?
  2. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #12
    Well folks, it works!! I have root again!

    One thing...it LOOKED LIKE it failed, but it didn't fail. The specifics were that while running the exploit, it displayed the following:

    [*]
    [*]RazrBlade:MotorolaDroidRazr4.1RootExploit(Windows version)
    [*]byDanRosenberg(@djrbliss)
    [*]
    [*]Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
    [*]
    [*]Note:this will not work on Razr HD,Razr M, etc.
    [*]
    [*]Before continuing,ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
    [*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed,and that your phone
    [*]is connected via USB.
    [*]
    [*]Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
    [*]
    [*]Press enter to root your phone...
    Press any key to continue...
    [*]
    [*]Waitingfor device...
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    [*]Device found.
    [*]Phase one...
    [*]Rebooting device...
    [*]Waitingfor phone to reboot.
    [*]Phase two...
    [*]Complete the following steps on your device:
    [*]1.Open the SmartActions application.
    [*]2.Select"Get Started".
    [*]3.Select"Battery Saver".
    [*]4.Select"Save".
    [*]5.Press the Home button.
    [*]
    [*]Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
    Press any key to continue...
    217 KB/s (0 bytes in3477.000s)
    [*]Rebooting device...
    [*]Waitingfor phone to reboot.
    [*]Phase three (this will take a minute)...
    [*]Rebooting device...
    [*]Waitingfor phone to reboot.
    [*]Phase four...
    1916 KB/s (0 bytes in91992.000s)
    2431 KB/s (0 bytes in1867568.000s)
    2392 KB/s (0 bytes in574184.000s)
    1994 KB/s (0 bytes in63838.000s)
    [*]Cleaning up...


    The reason I thought it had failed is that every time it tried to write, it showed 0 bytes. Strangely enough at the end, while the "Cleaning up..." was still on the screen, my phone kept waking and going back to sleep every 10 seconds or so. So I picked up the phone and hit the Power button, and to my surprise was SuperSU asking if I would Grant Root access to ADB shell! So, I've confirmed root with Root Checker! Now to do the tether hack and I'll be able to give my new tablet internet access!

    YAY!

    Great find The Stig 04!

    I'm going to implement this into my FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends so that it will be complete. Also, anyone who benefits from this exploit, as well as from Matt L Groff's Droid RAZR Utility, you should consider buying them a beer or three!
    JOSHSKORN and The Stig 04 like this.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Master Droid
    JOSHSKORN's Avatar
    Member #
    140567
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    406
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    #13
    Thanks FoxKat. Can't wait to see how you implement this into your other thread. Wish I knew I needed root before going to JB but that's life. Your tutorial for that seemed very easy to follow, but I saw no need for it at the time for me. :Sigh: (Sarcasm) I love how some people write out instructions around here and assume we're all very savvy with each iteration of Android OS. You make it easy. Love it. Thanks. I'll await your update.
    FoxKat likes this.
  4. Senior Droid
    Redalert's Avatar
    Member #
    147616
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx & Droid2
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post
    Thanks FoxKat. Can't wait to see how you implement this into your other thread. Wish I knew I needed root before going to JB but that's life. Your tutorial for that seemed very easy to follow, but I saw no need for it at the time for me. :Sigh: (Sarcasm) I love how some people write out instructions around here and assume we're all very savvy with each iteration of Android OS. You make it easy. Love it. Thanks. I'll await your update.
    I had no issues with this install and the set up. Uninstall updates to smart actions. Put smart actions in batt save mode. Made sure my drivers were correct. Took it of mass storage. Click the .bat file. It went through its thing. Hit enter to finish. And root was there. DL titanium and WiFi tether tested both. Shutdown phone cleared cache. All smooth.
    FoxKat likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    JOSHSKORN's Avatar
    Member #
    140567
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    406
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Redalert View Post
    I had no issues with this install and the set up. Uninstall updates to smart actions. Put smart actions in batt save mode. Made sure my drivers were correct. Took it of mass storage. Click the .bat file. It went through its thing. Hit enter to finish. And root was there. DL titanium and WiFi tether tested both. Shutdown phone cleared cache. All smooth.
    OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

    Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

    Does that make sense?
  6. Senior Droid
    Redalert's Avatar
    Member #
    147616
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx & Droid2
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post
    OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

    Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

    Does that make sense?
    Josh, I can give you a step by step of what I did. If u want? I just have to log onto my PC later to type it out, easier for me.
  7. Droid Ninja
    jpcalhoun's Avatar
    Member #
    148338
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,570
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post
    OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

    Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

    Does that make sense?
    To uninstall updates go to menu>system settings>apps>all and look for SmartActions. Select Smart Actions and press "Uninstall updates...that's it. To get to battery savings mode, open SmartActions by pressing its icon in your apps drawer. I don't remember exactly how to select battery saving mode but it can't be difficult...just look for it. When you plug your phone into your PC with the factory provided USB cable, and with USB Debugging selected, pull down your notifications bar on the phone and select USB connections then select Media device (MTP). You mentioned earlier "can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM?" If you root DO NOT delete any pre-installed app!! If you download an app like Titanium Backup you can freeze the app, but you don't want to delete any pre-installed app that you could not delete from a stock configuration (there are a few apps that came with the phone that you can uninstall without root and it is ok to delete them, but only them). If you uninstall a pre-installed app that required root to uninstall then you're going to have a problem getting an OTA update when the time comes. Keep in mind that rooting your phone does nothing...it won't run faster, smoother, use less battery, be more sexy, run better or anything like that. Root allows you access to settings and functions that you normally do not have in a stock configuration. Root also allows you to install and run customized ROMs and some apps that require root access.
  8. Senior Droid
    Redalert's Avatar
    Member #
    147616
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx & Droid2
    #18

    Re: Root for Jelly Bean is here!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    To uninstall updates go to menu>system settings>apps>all and look for SmartActions. Select Smart Actions and press "Uninstall updates...that's it. To get to battery savings mode, open SmartActions by pressing its icon in your apps drawer. I don't remember exactly how to select battery saving mode but it can't be difficult...just look for it. When you plug your phone into your PC with the factory provided USB cable, and with USB Debugging selected, pull down your notifications bar on the phone and select USB connections then select Media device (MTP). You mentioned earlier "can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM?" If you root DO NOT delete any pre-installed app!! If you download an app like Titanium Backup you can freeze the app, but you don't want to delete any pre-installed app that you could not delete from a stock configuration (there are a few apps that came with the phone that you can uninstall without root and it is ok to delete them, but only them). If you uninstall a pre-installed app that required root to uninstall then you're going to have a problem getting an OTA update when the time comes. Keep in mind that rooting your phone does nothing...it won't run faster, smoother, use less battery, be more sexy, run better or anything like that. Root allows you access to settings and functions that you normally do not have in a stock configuration. Root also allows you to install and run customized ROMs and some apps that require root access.
    Nice write up J.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
  9. Droid Ninja
    Droid Firefighter's Avatar
    Member #
    130981
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet) ;-)
    Posts
    1,622
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #19
    Good to see this! I am due for my upgrade in 2 weeks. Snooping around for a new phone.
  10. Junior Droid
    redrat302's Avatar
    Member #
    182487
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #20

    Re: Root for Jelly Bean is here!!!!!!

    Sorry for my confusion as I am new to this forum a and rooting in general but I have a question. In the beginnng of this thread you mentioned that this rooting procedure for jellybean does not work on the RAZR maxx but I thought we were in the RAZR maxx forum....I'm confused. I'm trying to rood jelly bean on my RAZR maxx. Should I follow these steps?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM
  3. Root now or wait for Jelly Bean?
    By RaveD in forum RAZR HD and RAZR HD MAXX Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM
  5. Jelly Bean Download without root?
    By gmen1818 in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Search tags for this page

droid 4 jelly bean root

,
droid 4 root jelly bean
,

how to root jelly bean

,

jelly bean root

,
jellybean root
,
razr blade.zip
,

root droid 4 jelly bean

,
root for jelly bean
,

root jelly bean

,
root jellybean
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+