DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: White LED of death on a rooted phone--can I get a warranty/insurance replacement?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx

Question White LED of death on a rooted phone--can I get a warranty/insurance replacement?

I plugged my rooted Razr Maxx into a car charger the other day, and it zapped it. I tried plugging it into multiple other chargers and it would not turn on at all. Plugging into a PC USB port gave me the white LED on the face of the phone. Researching this finding led me to believe the phone is toast. Verizon store rep couldn't get the thing to turn on either, so she had a replacement shipped to me. Phone was under both warranty and covered by the insurance plan.

I haven't sent back the dead phone. It's rooted and flashed to the leaked 215 version, and since it won't come on, I can't go back to stock.

Here's my question: Can anyone guess whether a phone with this problem (won't come on, white LED of death) can be ID'ed by Verizon as an altered phone? What are my chances of getting a nasty letter and billed 'up to $500' for sending back an altered phone? Will they be able to tell?

Also, if they do bill me, can I demand they send back the bricked phone?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    I plugged my rooted Razr Maxx into a car charger the other day, and it zapped it. I tried plugging it into multiple other chargers and it would not turn on at all. Plugging into a PC USB port gave me the white LED on the face of the phone. Researching this finding led me to believe the phone is toast. Verizon store rep couldn't get the thing to turn on either, so she had a replacement shipped to me. Phone was under both warranty and covered by the insurance plan.

I haven't sent back the dead phone. It's rooted and flashed to the leaked 215 version, and since it won't come on, I can't go back to stock.

Here's my question: Can anyone guess whether a phone with this problem (won't come on, white LED of death) can be ID'ed by Verizon as an altered phone? What are my chances of getting a nasty letter and billed 'up to $500' for sending back an altered phone? Will they be able to tell?

Also, if they do bill me, can I demand they send back the bricked phone?

Thanks in advance.
    Question...how discharged was the phone when you plugged it into your car charger? If the phone was fully discharged before you tried to charge it...when I say fully discharged I mean FULLY, then it won't turn on and boot, but there are a couple of things you can try if that is the case. To answer your questions...yes they will be able to tell that the phone is rooted and that you have a leaked system version. And, yes you will probably get a bill from them. Yes you can demand they send back the bricked phone, but you have the replacement, yes? I'm not sure how successful you'll be getting your brick back but you can try...but for sure they are not going to let you keep the replacement without a cost to you.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    I doubt Verizon will be able to tell, if the phone is even touched by verizon, they will do basic checks to see if the phone even turns on, if they can't get the phone to turn on, which they might not be able to, they will send it to Motorola and they will fix it, and in doing so, wipe the phone clean during the process, erasing anything you did. Because the issue seems hardware related, since it won't even turn on or charge, I doubt they will even think to look at signs of it being rooted and go through the process of proving it and then charging you.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    I doubt Verizon will be able to tell, if the phone is even touched by verizon, they will do basic checks to see if the phone even turns on, if they can't get the phone to turn on, which they might not be able to, they will send it to Motorola and they will fix it, and in doing so, wipe the phone clean during the process, erasing anything you did. Because the issue seems hardware related, since it won't even turn on or charge, I doubt they will even think to look at signs of it being rooted and go through the process of proving it and then charging you.
    Well I hope you are right, but I've seen and personally experienced the opposite. Good luck to Byzantium.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Well I hope you are right, but I've seen and personally experienced the opposite. Good luck to Byzantium.
    It depends on the symptoms I would imagine, we need to remember that they are a large company and they have processes and procedures that they most likely follow for certain scenarios to make sure they are maximizing their time/cost ratios, cause we all that's what its all about... cost effectiveness.

So I would imagine, in this case, phone won't even turn on or charge, Verizon would skip their checks and just send to Moto cause it appears to be hardware issues, and it more than likely is due to the fact that the OP said his charger may have zapped the phone. So then when moto gets it, i'm sure they are able to test what hardware is zapped, then they replace it, and when the phone comes alive, they probably just wipe the phone and start over, all in part of the refurb process, certify it as like new, double check things, and then resell as a certified like new replacement to VZW.

Had the phone still booted and the issues claimed to be software related and they get the phone and see the phone rooted with mods and what not, and if they can prove that the issues the user experienced were in fact due to the fact they rooted and modded, then yeah, they would charge the user cause there is no reason that phone should be in the shop because the user wasn't able to fix his/her own issues that they more than likely caused.

Tis my view on how this may or may not work based on my experience and knowing how most businesses operate on wanting to maximize cost effectiveness.

Base point here is though, if the OP can't by any means get the old phone to turn on and clear it out, there really is nothing he/she can do but send it on and hope for the best...
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    What you say (from a cost effective/business perspective) makes sense. I guess there aren't many options for the OP.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    My first Maxx was rooted and on .215 before I dropped it and shattered the screen.
    I sent it back for insurance replaced but I forgot about it being rooted. I never got charged just the new phone in the mail.
    Good luck.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Since Motorola installed the "root checker" on phones if they can
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Since Motorola installed the "root checker" on phones if they can boot it up they can tell if its been rooted ...
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Question...how discharged was the phone when you plugged it into your car charger? If the phone was fully discharged before you tried to charge it...when I say fully discharged I mean FULLY, then it won't turn on and boot, but there are a couple of things you can try if that is the case. To answer your questions...yes they will be able to tell that the phone is rooted and that you have a leaked system version. And, yes you will probably get a bill from them. Yes you can demand they send back the bricked phone, but you have the replacement, yes? I'm not sure how successful you'll be getting your brick back but you can try...but for sure they are not going to let you keep the replacement without a cost to you.
    Thanks for all the replies.

The phone had about a 50% charge when I plugged it in, and it subsequently died.

If they were going to bill me anyway, then I might just keep the bricked phone and see if I can fix it. That way I could sell one of the two and recoup some of my losses. If I send it back to them, they bill me, and then refuse to return my bricked phone, then I lose that chance.

I guess since I still have a chance of not getting billed, I'll send it on and hope for the best. For the edification of the community, I'll post here to let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again for the helpful responses to a noob
    Last edited by Byzantium; 11-29-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links