DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI tether app?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Iphone 3G

Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI hotspot tether app?

Hi:
    I just found out this morning that my phone auto-updated to a ver of FoxFi that is now usage limited. That sucks.
    Since FoxFi was always a little spotty for my on my RZR Maxx on Verizon (I would have to connect/disconnect a few times), I'm not terribly keen on paying them $7 for the paid ver.
    Also, it sounds like FoxFI won't work with Android 4.1 (JB) so whenever that ver is pushed OTA, I'll be SOL until a new version is release.
    For a free app, I could live with that. For a paid app, my expectations would be higher.

So, is there any WIFI tethering app that works well on a RAZR Maxx on VZW on an stock, unrooted phone using WIFI as a connection to the PC (WIFI hotspot vs USB tether) besides a) FoxFI and b) the VZW supplied tethering app?
    Any downsides to these apps?

I figure I might ask because there seems to be 170+ apps in the Google Play store and most of which either a) require a USB link vs WIFI to tether b) just a fancy shortcut to the default VZW tether app and/or c) require root.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Regards,
    -g
    Last edited by gunn; 11-28-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    BaSHa likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn View Post
    Hi:
    I just found out this morning that my phone auto-updated to a ver of FoxFi that is now usage limited. That sucks.
    Since FoxFi was always a little spotty for my on my RZR Maxx on Verizon (I would have to connect/disconnect a few times), I'm not terribly keen on paying them $7 for the paid ver.
    Also, it sounds like FoxFI won't work with Android 4.1 (JB) so whenever that ver is pushed OTA, I'll be SOL until a new version is release.
    For a free app, I could live with that. For a paid app, my expectations would be higher.

So, is there any WIFI tethering app that works well on a RAZR Maxx on VZW on an stock, unrooted phone using WIFI as a connection to the PC (WIFI hotspot vs USB tether) besides a) FoxFI and b) the VZW supplied tethering app?
    Any downsides to these apps?

I figure I might ask because there seems to be 170+ apps in the Google Play store and most of which either a) require a USB link vs WIFI to tether b) just a fancy shortcut to the default VZW tether app and/or c) require root.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Regards,
    -g
    I don't know of any WiFi tethering apps that work...and I think I've tried them all. I look at it this way...if you do a lot of tethering or rely on tethering then the $7 is not a bad price for an app that potentially saves you $30 or more month in data charges from Big Red. One time $7 or $30 a month for 12 months...not a bad deal when you think of it.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Iphone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    I don't know of any WiFi tethering apps that work...and I think I've tried them all. I look at it this way...if you do a lot of tethering or rely on tethering then the $7 is not a bad price for an app that potentially saves you $30 or more month in data charges from Big Red. One time $7 or $30 a month for 12 months...not a bad deal when you think of it.
    Yeah, I suspected as much but before I pulled the trigger on FoxFi, I wanted to hear if anyone else had positive feedback on another app first. Anyone?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn View Post
    Yeah, I suspected as much but before I pulled the trigger on FoxFi, I wanted to hear if anyone else had positive feedback on another app first. Anyone?
    I have been connecting my tablets to my phone with Bluetooth and using my phone for Internet access. It has worked well, I loaded Foxfi to try it but stick with Bluetooth. I don't know if it works with PCs, my laptop is so old it doesn't have Bluetooth. With ICS on my phone it is still working well. Big Red isn't blocking it even though I still have unlimited.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Casio Commando
    I have a coworker who has been sucking over 130 gb of data per month for the last 5 or 6 months..... initially on a RAZR Maxx & this month on a RAZR Maxx HD. He uses the phone all day, then goes home & starts the BT & wifi where it connects to a few different devices.... a BT handset, a Roku & a laptop.... all over Foxfi. He did say he had some issues with the free version, but that he bought it & that it was now a lot more stable.
    --
    Bill
    - formerly using the Casio Commando & the Motorola RAZR Maxx. Now running it right with the Motorola RAZR Maxx HD w/ Jelly Bean.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Connect your phone to a cradle point router, enable tethering on your phone and wallah your whole house is a hot spot. Or just plug it into your computer directly, either way it uses your data plan so you can stay connected!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX, Droid 1(retired)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    I have a coworker who has been sucking over 130 gb of data per month for the last 5 or 6 months..... initially on a RAZR Maxx & this month on a RAZR Maxx HD. He uses the phone all day, then goes home & starts the BT & wifi where it connects to a few different devices.... a BT handset, a Roku & a laptop.... all over Foxfi. He did say he had some issues with the free version, but that he bought it & that it was now a lot more stable.
    Yeah I got a buddy like that too but he has been using it to connect his xbox to the internet He has been streaming netflix and playing Call of Duty multiplayer for a good 9 months now. He said he used to have connection issues with foxfi even before they went to limiting access. Since he has paid he hasn't had an issue. If I am not mistaken before they went to the paid app weren't they in beta?

As far as another app for non root goes...There isn't one that is any good in my opinion. You could go try and see if you can find an old foxfi apk and install that just don't update it. Though if you have auto updates on then that could be a pain. Honestly I think you are better off supporting an app that is worth the one time $7. I only use it every now and then and even coughed up the money. lol
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    i was looking for a similar free app but couldnt find one so i coughed up the $7. i honestly think its worth it!!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Are you sure Amazon hasn't updated yet? Better check.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX

Re: Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI tether app?

Does foxfi work with jb?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links