DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery goes dead when flying my little plane. - Don't think it's a roaming issue.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAAX 4GLTE

Battery goes dead when flying my little plane. - Don't think it's a roaming issue.

I have been loving my pricey new Droid Razr Maax. I recently upgraded from a Droid X2. With the exception of this odd issue, the battery life has been great, however...

I am a private pilot. On four occasions now I have flown with my MAAX and when I got down the battery was totally drained. DOA. Kaput.

So, I figured it must be that I was high in the air and the phone went into roaming mode and the battery drained. That's what I figured the first couple of times it happened and I was making longer trips at altitudes >5,000 ft.

But, last weekend, I made a short hop at a low altitude, about 1,500 feet AGL. I flew over the Mississippi river and wanted to use the camera, but the phone was now dead. At this point I couldn't have been in the air more than eight or ten minutes. It didn't make sense that it drained so fast. The other crazy thing was the phone was cool to the touch. All my other experiences with rapid discharge of batteries has been that the device generated a great amount of heat.

More crazy stuff to follow.

When I got on the ground for breakfast at a neighboring airport, I plugged my dead phone into a charger. I got the usual battery charging icon that said the battery was <5% charged. The screwy thing was, I checked on it about 30 minutes later and it was apparently fully charged!.. I would expect a dead phone to charge up in three or four hours. Not 30 minutes.

At this point the phone seemed fine and fully charged. I resolved to remind myself to always turn the thing off before aviating. Naturally, 15 minutes later, when I departed to head home I forgot to turn the phone off. I guess I better incorporate it in my engine pre-start checklist.

My destination was literally 5 minutes away from the time I lifted off. (my aircraft cruises at 170 mph). Let's say 6 minutes in the air, allowing time for the landing phase. I wasn't any higher than 1,000 feet agl. On landing the phone was completely dead, and was cool to the touch.

The following Monday I called Verizon, and explained the problem, much as I explained it here. They didn't know what to make of it, so they sent me a replacement phone. A replacement phone with an intermittent speaker (addressed in another thread).

So, what do you guys think? What killed the battery so fast?

Sam

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyQ2 View Post
    I have been loving my pricey new Droid Razr Maax. I recently upgraded from a Droid X2. With the exception of this odd issue, the battery life has been great, however...

I am a private pilot. On four occasions now I have flown with my MAAX and when I got down the battery was totally drained. DOA. Kaput.

So, I figured it must be that I was high in the air and the phone went into roaming mode and the battery drained. That's what I figured the first couple of times it happened and I was making longer trips at altitudes >5,000 ft.

That's plain weird,and I wouldn't know what to suggest, really. Do you suppose something in your avionics might be messing with it? Maybe roaming is more seriously affected when you're not only between towers, but above them as well . . .
    "You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    It does sound like a battery meter problem... That the battery would read 100% when it may really only be 10%. I wonder if altitude would affect that in some way but doubtful because the same would happen when ppl fly. Except usually they would have their phone in airplane mode.

It will also cause excessive drain if the phone is trying to connect to towers or repeatedly switching between towers. But that the phone reported 4% to 100% in such a short period of time points to the battery meter being off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyQ2 View Post

But, last weekend, I made a short hop at a low altitude, about 1,500 feet AGL. I flew over the Mississippi river and wanted to use the camera, but the phone was now dead. At this point I couldn't have been in the air more than eight or ten minutes. It didn't make sense that it drained so fast. The other crazy thing was the phone was cool to the touch. All my other experiences with rapid discharge of batteries has been that the device generated a great amount of heat.

More crazy stuff to follow.

When I got on the ground for breakfast at a neighboring airport, I plugged my dead phone into a charger. I got the usual battery charging icon that said the battery was <5% charged. The screwy thing was, I checked on it about 30 minutes later and it was apparently fully charged!.. I would expect a dead phone to charge up in three or four hours. Not 30 minutes.

At this point the phone seemed fine and fully charged. I resolved to remind myself to always turn the thing off before aviating. Naturally, 15 minutes later, when I departed to head home I forgot to turn the phone off. I guess I better incorporate it in my engine pre-start checklist.

My destination was literally 5 minutes away from the time I lifted off. (my aircraft cruises at 170 mph). Let's say 6 minutes in the air, allowing time for the landing phase. I wasn't any higher than 1,000 feet agl. On landing the phone was completely dead, and was cool to the touch.

The following Monday I called Verizon, and explained the problem, much as I explained it here. They didn't know what to make of it, so they sent me a replacement phone. A replacement phone with an intermittent speaker (addressed in another thread).

So, what do you guys think? What killed the battery so fast?

Sam
    When ever I fly, I put my maxx in airplane mode, and never drop more than 6% on 4-6 hr flight. I would suggest you put in the airplane mode when flying. Unless you're already doing that.
    Improving my RAZR MAXX one thread at a time.

Aaron

"A George divided against himself, cannot stand!
    !
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    I wonder if your radios are chewing through the battery looking for a signal...

Like suggested above, try putting it in airplane mode and see if that changes anything...
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    If any app or hardware would have been using battery at that rate, the phone would've smoking hot to the touch. I agree with the above poster that suggested something in your avionics was interfering with the phones ability to measure the battery. Either that or it was just defective. Anyway keep sending them back until you get a perfectly good device. That's what you paid for and that's what you should have.

GoBears and FU Apple

"Remember, friends don't let friends use IOS"
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Bermuda triangle stuff lol
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAAX 4GLTE
    Thanks for the comments.

As I said in the original post, I have sent that phone back, so it's a little too late to try anything else. I should have consulted this board first.

My replacement phone has an intermittent speaker, so that is getting returned this week. Once I finally get a decent phone, I will calibrate the battery. After that is done, I'll take it flying with me again and see if the problem comes up again and report back to this thread.

BTW, my wife has a Droid Razr (no MAAX) and she is having all sorts of batter issues. I'm in the process of trying to do a meter calibration on hers.

Thanks for the help.

Sam
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    You should have checked to see what was using up your battery.

Battery goes dead when flying my little plane. - Don't think it's a roaming issue.-forumrunner_20120826_221346.png
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX, Droid 1(retired)
    I think his phone was afraid of heights and it literally scared the battery out of it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links