DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Battery Training for Dummies, That's Me!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    ziggswife
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX

Battery Training for Dummies, That's Me!

Please clarify again for the slower children...After I've done my drain the battery to 10%, turn off the phone and charge it to 100% thing (2 days in a row) can I plug it in when I go to bed if it's at, say 50%? And actually leave the phone on so calls could come in if needed? I am loving the .215 upgrade, but my battery got to 10% at 2pm and I missed an important call cause it was charging while off. I get so worried that I will do something wrong because I didn't understand the instructions. Help please! (You can just call me Martha because I worry about so many things...)
    Thanks in advance,
    Wendy

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR MAXX
    Yes..if you allowed your battery to hit 10% and charged it back up to 100% while the phone was powered off twice..your battery should be calibrated.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I am sure FoxKat will be along at some point to expound on it, but in short, yes. If you do that twice your meter should be calibrated. And you don't have to do that every single time you charge it
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    And to clarify, you actually don't have to drain to 10% twice. The METER (not battery) training only requires the phone to be charged with power off to 100%, THEN drained to the "Low battery" warning (ICS it's 10%, Gingerbread it's 15%), then powered off and charged to 100% again. The first 100% charge can start from essentially ANY battery level, even 90%. It's the fact that the battery hits the 100% target initially that starts the ball rolling on the meter training. It recognizes that the battery has topped out and places a marker in its registry. Then as the power depletes and the battery reaches the "Low battery" warning, it then places a "Low level" flag in its registry. Finally it then waits till the battery reaches 100% again at which point it compares the level with the marker in its registry to see if the level at 100% matches the last 100% charge. If it does, it then sets the "Fully charged" flag and the process is complete.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-15-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    MattyP and SammyQ2 like this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    And to clarify, you actually don't have to drain to 10% twice. The METER (not battery) training only requires the phone to be charged with power off to 100%, THEN drained to the "Low battery" warning (ICS it's 10%, Gingerbread it's 15%), then powered off and charged to 100% again. The first 100% charge can start from essentially ANY battery level, even 90%. It's the fact that the battery hits the 100% target initially that starts the ball rolling on the meter training. It recognizes that the battery has topped out and places a marker in its registry. Then as the power depletes and the battery reaches the "Low battery" warning, it then places a "Low level" flag in its registry. Finally it then waits till the battery reaches 100% again at which point it compares the level with the marker in its registry to see if the level at 100% matches the last 100% charge. If it does, it then sets the "Fully charged" flag and the process is complete.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-15-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: minor correction (in my quote)
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    Finally picked up a Nexus 7 tablet late last night, and was good enough not to open until this morning so I can plug it in to charge before playing with it.

Feel like I should get a medal for that kind of self control, it was not easy.
    jaybogg likes this.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    ziggswife
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Am I hearing you say that since I calibrated my meter, I can charge any time I need to, but I should always charge to 100%?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wendee2150 View Post
    Am I hearing you say that since I calibrated my meter, I can charge any time I need to, but I should always charge to 100%?
    I have the same question so watching this also
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    And in comes dummy #3...what if i have never calibrated the meter...is it still possible to do so after a few moths or so??

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by wendee2150

You can. BUT....these types of batteries actually prefer short charge cycles.
    Once you calibrate the meter, charge anytime from any level for a short time (like 20-40%). Charge as often as you please. An example would be: charge for 30 minutes while you read the news in the AM. Charge for a while on USB at work, etc. I keep my battery at between 40-80% all the time, I try not to go under or over that ( not obsessively).
    Read FoxKat's posts on the battery forum. Lotsa good info.
    The meter calibration should be done about every 2-3 months
    Last edited by bruben7886; 08-17-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links