DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaseman

Thread: Location Services Differences

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

Question Location Services Differences

Under <settings> <location services> there are:

Google location services

Standalone GPS services

VZW location services

I'm not sure which of these, or combination of these, that should be running? According to the blurb under each one it sounds like they all do the same, or a similar thing.

I thought I might save some battery if I didn't need all of these running concurrently.
    Gregg

What do you mean mean I mispelled it......I just now made it up

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    I have mine all off all of the time, if I need to use the maps I turn on Standalone GPS and turn that back off when I am done. You need Verizon one on when using Verizon services such as VzNavigator, and Google one on for stuff Google specific.

Honestly I don't notice any battery difference when I accidentally leave Standalone on after using it. If you don't have a map program open it shouldn't ping the GPS.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    thx.....
    Gregg

5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    You can leave the top three in the list checked all the time. I also check the "Location and Google Search" check box. I do not share pictures. This DOES NOT mean the GPS radio is actually running. It just means that when it does need to run, or when you choose to have it run, it will use whichever services you have checked for it to use. You will know when the GPS radio is actually running by seeing a little icon in your status bar show up. It looks a little bit like a small snow flake. When that icon is in your task bar then the GPS radio is running and using battery juice. So go ahead and check all three if you want to (I do as it makes it work more accurately) then turn on your mapping or navigation application and you will see the snow flake (GPS) icon turn on in the task bar. Close the mapping or navigation application and the GPS icon will disappear thereby turning off the GPS radio.
    bsweetness likes this.
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    You can leave the top three in the list checked all the time. I also check the "Location and Google Search" check box. I do not share pictures. This DOES NOT mean the GPS radio is actually running. It just means that when it does need to run, or when you choose to have it run, it will use whichever services you have checked for it to use. You will know when the GPS radio is actually running by seeing a little icon in your status bar show up. It looks a little bit like a small snow flake. When that icon is in your task bar then the GPS radio is running and using battery juice. So go ahead and check all three if you want to (I do as it makes it work more accurately) then turn on your mapping or navigation application and you will see the snow flake (GPS) icon turn on in the task bar. Close the mapping or navigation application and the GPS icon will disappear thereby turning off the GPS radio.
    Absolutely correct. Even with all of the location services enabled, they only run when an app is actively using them, as indicated by the crosshairs in the notification bar. It's not like leaving WiFi on, which constantly scans for available networks. The GPS will only run when something is using it.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    What he ^^ said... with the exception of the new "where's my significant other" app.. then when you stray outside your boundaries, your phone starts screaming a high pitched alarm until you call home. I kid...
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    What he ^^ said... with the exception of the new "where's my significant other" app.. then when you stray outside your boundaries, your phone starts screaming a high pitched alarm until you call home. I kid...
    Gregg

Links