DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By valglbgl

Thread: moto print gone since ICS

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx

moto print gone since ICS

since the ICS update I can't find moto print. What happened to the app? I can see it under manage apps but can't see it under apps or find it when i use office on the phone. Frustrated with this.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Go to system settings
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Yes I saw it there but i still can't seem to use it.
    Fvegasjr likes this.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by valglbgl View Post
    Yes I saw it there but i still can't seem to use it.
    I know very frustrating, I downloaded printer share then set my HP printer up to allow for cloud printing, now I can do that, that may be a solution.
    Joseph
    Phone History:
    BB Storm 1: Colossal Failure, Hung it up 06/2009-05/2010
    Moto Droid: 05/2010-05/2012, 3 replacements, Greatful retirement
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx: 05/2012 - 10/2013, Excellent Experience
    Galaxy S4: 10/2013 - Present
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razzr Maxx

Printing using motoprint and ICS

Hello;
    I just got my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx to print directly to my HP 1300 connected to my Laptop via USB cable. I am running Win XP Pro (SP3) on my laptop. I was not to happy with the OLD honeycomb MOTOPRINT. Since, I am a LAN/WAN tech and install, operate and troubleshoot large LAN's with a mixed bag of PC's, laptops and now Smart Devices (phones and tables.) The honeycomb was short changed for large LAN operations.
    Since I upgrade my Razr Maxx to ICS. I am beginning to use it more and more on my LAN as a quick troubleshooting device to assist me. I couple of apps I will recommend any Droid based user are "2X Client" for Remote Desktop Connection to any LAN based PC, Server and of Laptop and "Ping & DNS" to check for connectivity by pinging or trace routing to devices by IP or FQN.
    Why? 99.9% of all networking issues is connectivity!!! If you can not see the other device. Do not expect to connect to it. Here is where your "Ping & DNS" app comes very handy. And the"2X CLient' as well. If you can connect to your PC or Laptop then your printer should do the same....
    My case now:
    When I upgraded to ICS I had MOTOPRINT still on my apps. Probably because never used nor set it up. But, I did get an upgrade notice for this App. After the update was downloaded and installed. I saw the app removed from the main APPs screen!!! So, I started looking for it and found that the Remote Printing Options were moved from an App base to an OS based. I found it under: Menu
    System Settings
    System
    Printer Settings
    Under printer settings you can view your current connected printers "My Printers"; your print job status "Printer Status" and last but not least "Add Printers" Here is were I was able to find and connect to my laptop printer. My first attempt to find them failed. Since my laptop is a very selfish laptop. Maybe by my own doing!!! I did not have enabled File and Printer Sharing under WIn XP Pro. I can explain this but I wan to keep this short. Maybe on my next post... IF needed...
    After enabling "File and printer Sharing" and Sharing my printer I called it "Printer9" I finish the auto-discovery on my Droid by selecting "Printer Shares" Upper left corner has a "Next" It found My "WORKGORUP" then my "LAPTOP" and it listed my printer: Printer9
    \\LAPTOP\Printer9
    Put a check mark on it and done deal.... I am printing directly from my DORID RAZR to my HP 1300 USB printer connected to my laptop. My home/office LAN is a plain Verizon MiFi and 3 laptops and two printers. I just added my Lexmark ink jet to my list of available printers....
    I do have a word of advice. My MiFi is very weak on the WiFi area. If, I move to far into my home. I loose signal strength fast and it will drop the connection!!!
    I am working on this issue right now. But, be aware of your distance and signal strength at all times!!! A few walls, floors and or furniture will drop the signal. So, like in Real Estate... Location, Location, Location....

I hope this helps... My apologies for the lengthy explanation. I guess 30+ years of IT experience forces me to explain all the details....
    Fred...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razzr Maxx
    Hi
    A short addendum: I did not add nor installed any extra software, drivers to my laptop to allow my DORID RAZR to print. As per MOTOPRINT tech notes it supports any HP type printer with PCL5, PCL6 and PS. and a few other main brands. I can say this is better than the iPhone or IPad that only supports PS type printers....

I am sticking to the ANDROID based Motorola`s phones!!!

Fred

Links