DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I turn on GPS?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

How do I turn on GPS?

I'm new to the Smart actions thing and would like to know how to turn on/off the GPS. Isn't there a toggle for this?
    I want to set a rule that knows when I'm at work or at home or in the car. At work, I simply want to turn off the ringer and wifi. In the car turn on Bluetooth and the ringer and turn off Wifi. And, once I'm at home, turn on Wifi for use on my home network. I just can't get anything to work because I don't think smart actions knows where where I am.
    I'm also using Beautiful Widgets.
    Last edited by EA.Droyd; 07-08-2012 at 07:39 PM.

3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    There's a toggle on the Power Control Widget for GPS. There are many other widgets in the Play store for it if the included one isn't to your liking. You can also turn GPS (and other location-based services) on/off here: Settings -> Location services.

To add location as a trigger in Smart Actions, just tap the + beside triggers, selection location, tap the + sign at the top right, and then choose how you want to add the location. After you've added locations, you'll be able to choose them as a trigger for the different things you want to do.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Thanks for the reply but where do I find the built in widget for God?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Just go to system settings, location services and select your GPS there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    ....and turn your wifi on for better accuracy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I have everything checked in location services but still I have no icon indicating GPS is on and no smart actions are active. Why isn't there a built in way to turn on/off the GPS and 4g like wifi and Bluetooth? Perhaps I'm missing something. I just want smart actions to work. It won't unless it knows where I am at.
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EA.Droyd View Post
    I have everything checked in location services but still I have no icon indicating GPS is on and no smart actions are active. Why isn't there a built in way to turn on/off the GPS and 4g like wifi and Bluetooth? Perhaps I'm missing something. I just want smart actions to work. It won't unless it knows where I am at.
    If you selected everything under location settings, then GPS is on. That is the built-in way to turn it off and on (specifically Standalone GPS). You can also, as I already mentioned, use the Power Control Widget to toggle it. If the toggle switch is lit up, then it's on, just like if you have it checked under location settings, it's on. There isn't a constant icon in the notification bar for GPS like there is for Bluetooth or WiFi. An icon only appears in the notification bar for GPS when an app is actively using it. When the GPS is turned on, it's not always being used (that would drain your battery in no time). It's on stand by until something wants to use it. If your smart actions are set up properly, it will use it when it needs to, and it work just fine.

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    It doesn't work. Smart actions is not active and I'm at home, no wifi or Bluetooth is running as I have set up. The phone does not know where I'm at. The GPS has to be on and it is not. There is no icon. Smart actions is a fail.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    With GB I could turn GPS on and off easily.
  11. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    It doesn't work. Smart actions is not active and I'm at home, no wifi or Bluetooth is running as I have set up. The phone does not know where I'm at. The GPS has to be on and it is not. There is no icon. Smart actions is a fail.
    With GB I could turn GPS on and off easily.
    Ok, you don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying. There is not a constant GPS icon in the notification bar. There was not a constant GPS icon in the notification bar with Gingerbread either. You can turn GPS on and off just as easily in ICS as you could in Gingerbread, and I've told you exactly how to do it twice. If you've checked all of the boxes under location services in the settings, your GPS is on. Double check that with the Power Control Widget. If the GPS icon in the middle is lit up, GPS is on. There won't be a constant icon in the notification bar. There has never been a constant icon in the notification bar for GPS on the RAZR/MAXX. Even though you don't see a constant icon, that doesn't mean it's not on and available for use.

To me, it sounds like you don't have your smart actions set up properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links