DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxx, ICS, Google Nav, no longer gives upcoming turn warnings

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

Maxx, ICS, Google Nav, no longer gives upcoming turn warnings

Haven't been able to find thread on this issue here, but there are on other forums. It seems with ICS that Google Navigation lost the ability to give upcoming turn instructions. I must watch the screen in order to know whether I'll be turning left or right. The voice instructions come only when immediately at the turn, too late to move across 4 lanes to turn left instead of right. This is very frustrating and has only happened with the ICS update. I don't mind the voices changing along the route but not having turn warnings makes GN useless to this grandma.

Wondering if it's a new Razr Maxx problem, an ICS problem, or a Google problem? Anyone else notice these changes in navigation? Please help if you have a solution.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by CaGaPeach
    Haven't been able to find thread on this issue here, but there are on other forums. It seems with ICS that Google Navigation lost the ability to give upcoming turn instructions. I must watch the screen in order to know whether I'll be turning left or right. The voice instructions come only when immediately at the turn, too late to move across 4 lanes to turn left instead of right. This is very frustrating and has only happened with the ICS update. I don't mind the voices changing along the route but not having turn warnings makes GN useless to this grandma.

Wondering if it's a new Razr Maxx problem, an ICS problem, or a Google problem? Anyone else notice these changes in navigation? Please help if you have a solution.
    I used mine yesterday and I had no issues. It gave me turn warnings and I noticed there were two different voices in the Nav. It was as if it was mad at me for re-routing.
    Razr Maxx
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    I noticed that the chick on mine started talking really fast, sounds like she had about 4 Red Bulls. Other than that though it still works fine.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
    I noticed that the chick on mine started talking really fast, sounds like she had about 4 Red Bulls. Other than that though it still works fine.
    I now have 3 chicks, the old one that's not too good, a new younger-sounding one that pronounces the Spanish names correctly and is a little more pleasing to listen to, and then one that sounds like she may be a country western singer, a little throaty-sounding. In a 30 minute trip, the voices change automatically from one to the other.

My real problem is not receiving the upcoming turn notifications until I am already at the intersection. The other forums are full of these complaints but no one here is complaining. This is my go-to forum for problem-solving so I thought you guys could help or confirm that it's an ICS, a Google, or a Maxx problem and I have to wait for a fix.

Anyone? Is there something I can do?
    Last edited by CaGaPeach; 07-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by CaGaPeach

I now have 3 chicks, the old one that's not too good, a new younger-sounding one that pronounces the Spanish names correctly and is a little more pleasing to listen to, and then one that sounds like she may be a country western singer, a little throaty-sounding. In a 30 minute trip, the voices change automatically from one to the other.

My real problem is not receiving the upcoming turn notifications until I am already at the intersection. The other forums are full of these complaints but no one here is complaining. This is my go-to forum for problem-solving so I thought you guys could help or confirm that it's an ICS, a Google, or a Maxx problem and I have to wait for a fix.

Anyone? Is there something I can do?
    I know its pain in the butt, but factor data reset. I have had to do it twice since the OTA.
    Razr Maxx
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by cbroussard99 View Post
    I know its pain in the butt, but factor data reset. I have had to do it twice since the OTA.
    First of all, this is my first post to the forums after reaching quite a lot. Thanks for the info here! I processed my OTA upgrade Tuesday and am noticing a few weird things.

Google Nav is one of my absolute favorite apps. I use it on a regular basis. I fired it up today and not only have the street names stopped working, ALL voice has stopped working. Not a single word from ethel. I -really- hate the idea of a complete factory reset...is this the only way to correct?

There are a couple other things like some missing widgets (namely the 1x1 sized on/off controls for GPS, Wifi, airplane mode) but I will dig around to see if there is anything else mentioned about that.

Thanks!
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    U could try going into app manager and clearing data for maps and nav. Just a thought.

I have used google nav a few times since the update and works fine. I use nicole from ivona text to speech
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR Maxx
    Clearing data seems have given me some voice. I need to get it on the road tomorrow to see what happens with street naes. Thanks for suggestion.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by CaGaPeach View Post
    I'm 99% sure this is a Google Maps problem. Not only did I start having it over a month before the ICS OTA, but my wife's old Droid X running Google Maps has the exact same issue. Either wait for a fix, or spend a few bucks and try Verizon Navigator, I guess.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    ChuckHareRef
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    After reading these posts yesterday I used Goodle Nav on my way home from work and it worked fine for me. I didn't have different voices though. The voice I did have was very soft though, almost couldn't hear it. I did get upcoming turn warnings as one would expect.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links