DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Exercising with Droid Razr Maxx and it no longer works

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx

Exercising with Droid Razr Maxx and it no longer works

Is it that the Droid Razr Maxx and sweat dont mix? No hard jarring involved.

Had my new (less than 18 hours old) Droid Razr Maxx next to my skin while I was doing a 3 mile walk this morning. I sweated alot. Slacker Radio played during entire walk, had GPS on with a fitness app, and not much else other than usual email/text apps. When I finished the walk and retrieved the phone, the screen would not respond to my touch and it was flickering. Phone did not respond to the power key but later the screen went black. What could the problem be? I assumed the problem was too much moisture so I removed the SIM and SD card and have had it in rice bag 24 plus hours. I've tried several times during day and the screen still does not recognize my touch and the power key has no response. I done a forced reboot several times and it will power off/on and the screen will show, but touch not recognized and the power key down has no reaction. Battery decharged and plug it into charger and it was booted up when I checked on it later. Today I've tried a factory reboot and it is hung up and will not complete the reboot. I've exercised many times with my old Droid 3 next to my skin and never had any problems. Is the Razr Maxx so sensitive that the least bit of moisture will cause problems of this magnitude? Any suggestions?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Droid Razr maxx bathtub water test check it out ....... Seems like sweat wouldn't be a problem. Maybe you have a bad seal. I have never exposed mine to sweat or moisture so I can't relate. Hope the link works. I found it under General Discussions.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    RazMaxx
    Sounds like its brand new and a dud of sorts. Why not return it for a fresh Maxx. I'd be concerned that if it started working again it would possibly mess up again later.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1421 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Hmmm, welcome to the droid forums. I would bring it back.... its supposed to withstand sweat. Be polite and explain the situation... see what happens.

If they try saying otherwise, then politely push the situation...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
    cobravnm13 likes this.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Thanks for input. I appreciate your posts/input. I've contacted sales rep and meeting with them first thing Monday morning. Hoping for a positive outcome. And purchasing a protective case within the first hour of owning it. And no more exercising with it next to my skin. Any suggestions for an accessory to hold the DRMaxx during exercise/walking?
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxwabbit View Post
    Droid Razr maxx bathtub water test check it out ....... Seems like sweat wouldn't be a problem. Maybe you have a bad seal. I have never exposed mine to sweat or moisture so I can't relate. Hope the link works. I found it under General Discussions.
    I would tend to disagree. Sweat contains salt, both a corrosive and makes water conductive.

To the OP, I wouldn't say that the RAZR/MAXX is particularly more susceptible to moisture, but it's very thin design leaves almost no open space in the interior, and the various layers are in a sandwich configuration which leaves very thin pathways between the motherboard and battery, and between the motherboard and the display, which will create "capillary" channels for water to travel through. If any of that sweat makes it to the motherboard it can cause irreparable damage. Also, the sweat may trigger the moisture detectors and that would void the warranty.

It's best to be completely honest with the warranty claim and simply hope for the best. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    cobravnm13 likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I am currious to know FoxKat are you familiar with conformal coating? The motherboard in these phones is covered with this you might find it useful to educate your self on what that is before responding to threads like this in the future. Have a nice day.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    The Razr's are supposed to be water resistant and are advertised as such. For some reason it seems you did get moisture-sweat inside your phone which I don't think should happen so easily especially on our Razr's. Go to verizon, explain what happened, explain that you expect that your phone should be capable of surviving this kind of typical use (especially given that motorola has bloat apps loaded on the phone specifically for the purpose of exercise) and because you are within your 14 days, you should get a brand new phone (not a refurb-clnr).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Ag3nt X View Post
    I am currious to know FoxKat are you familiar with conformal coating? The motherboard in these phones is covered with this you might find it useful to educate your self on what that is before responding to threads like this in the future. Have a nice day.
    yes, but unless you know how the coating was applied (spray, brushed, dipped, etc) and the conditions of the unit when applied, you really cannot make the argument to educate someone else if you aren't educated your self.
    If they are applied by a person, no one is perfect. There are lemons in every electronic company. Heck, I've even read of lemons with cars that cost $250k+ and for that price you'd expect there wouldn't be.

Before you cast stones as others, please look in the mirror first.

To the OP issue, I might also wonder if the heat caused an issue. I had an electronic on a walk also next to the skin, and my body heat heated the item up. The display was on my skin and it was dark for a nice long time. Cooling the unit off got it working again. i put it on the AC vent of the car for a while. Took the better part of the day to get back to normal though.

i'm thinking, unless you sweat like a popsicle on a hot summer day, this may be the issue. It may also have overheated enough to have fried something.
    94lt1 and FoxKat like this.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  10. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ag3nt X View Post

We are not all experts here, this is a hobby. If a person is trying to help, that's what matters. There are civil ways of correcting someone, no matter who it is, without a sarcastic echo.

BTW, Your self is 'one' word, Yourself.

Think of others feelings before posting...
    Last edited by Shadez; 06-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Sydman, CJM, 94lt1 and 5 others like this.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links