DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: International travel with Razr Maxx

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

International travel with Razr Maxx

I am traveling to London, Paris, and Amsterdam next month. Does anyone have advice about using my Verizon Razr Maxx in Europe?

My other option is to purchase an inexpensive prepaid phone with a European Sim card. Does anyone know of a good carrier?

Thank you.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I was in England last month for work. One think I found was that Europe has lots of free WIFI areas. I just used the Viber ap to make free calls over WIFI.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Ice cream sandwich should gsm support to the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I spoke with a Verizon agent last week about the update. She said that you can not remove the SIM card inside the Razr, and replace it with a local lower cost European SIM. If I want use my phone I must use Verizon's expensive plan. My other concern is that the ICS update does not go through before I need to leave.

Thank you both for your advice.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquill1 View Post
    I was in England last month for work. One think I found was that Europe has lots of free WIFI areas. I just used the Viber ap to make free calls over WIFI.
    Thank you nyquill1.
    Have you compared Viber to Skype? I have been using Skype for about 4 years.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid RAZR MAXX
    I had traveled to europe thrice in 2011, each time taking my droid 2 along for the ride. I used skype through wifi to make calls to family/friends. Also facebook was a big plus to send and receive messages. Though people could not reliably make calls to me(because i had to be connected to wifi). Theres wifi everywhere in Europe, though I did find that half the time it was a service that i had to lease by the hour. Though it was a common name with these wifi hotspots, comparable to Optimum wifi. Which is good if you buy an hour pass and change locations half way through your session(just find another hotspot with the name of the provider). Countries I visited, Germany, France, Italy, and Hungary.

My question!!: Anyways, since April I've had the Droid RAZR MAXX and I love it (of course). Now that ICS is rumored to come out within the next few days (or even tomorrow, fingers crossed) I am excited for the GSM capability being expanded to the Verizon phones. Now, I am leaving for Europe tomorrow evening once again and I was really hoping to just drop a pre-paid card into my phone for the 3 weeks I'll be there. Once ICS actually does come out for the RAZR MAXX, will I have to get it unlocked(providing me with the code) by either Verizon or another service? And once doing so, can I then just pop in a pre-paid SIM? Then put the original Verizon SIM back in when my flight lands back in the USA?
    -What pre-paid service provider can I use across Europe?? some more info: driving around Europe, sight seeing mainly for two weeks, and a week in Hungary for sure.
    leaving tomorrow!! a quick reply and answer is much appreciated!!!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    The Razr's are already unlocked. It is my understanding that once the ICS update adds Global, one can use a prepaid SIM.Anyone else?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    So, if VZ releases ICS w global ability, all we need to do is buy an additional Sim card? Do we buy it in USA, mail order, or a street store in Europe? Which is safest, cheapest way to go? Also, if SIM purchased in Country A, can it be used in Country B or C? Thanks for any feedback.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank you for your replies, and advice.

According to the Verizon International support person I spoke with, after the update, Razr Maxx will support global GSM, using Verizon's expensive rate structure. I asked her if I could remove the SIM card and replace it with a local prepaid European SIM. She said that would deactivate the original Verizon SIM, and that they do not support it with the Razr.

I also asked if I could change SIMs on my son's iPhone. She said that iPhone can be unlocked and used with a prepaid SIM by calling Verizon, but the Razr can not.

Based on her response, I will call Verizon again and talk to a different agent for clarification.

Brawn80 should call Verizon support today to try and get the latest information.

Thanks!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    SDFSMC: Very interesting response... So, ICS will allow global, but RAXR wont accept global SIM. Can anyone advise of other options for European travel? Pls keep me in the loop!
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Links