DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: International travel with Razr Maxx

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid maxx
    I will bring a copy of your post with ma. Thanks.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD

Success in Thailand

@ littman - Thanks for your help. Using the info that I read on this thread I was able to successfully use my Droid Razr Maxx HD in Thailand. I simply swapped out my Verizon SIM for a prepaid from Happy/Dtac. (and followed the directions from littman) I had ample talk minutes for my trip plus unlimited data for 7 days. They even included access to their wifi hotspots which was very fast. (Total price ~$10)

It is really great to have a phone that keeps a charge and adapts overseas. Makes travel much more enjoyable. Now if they'd only improve the camera....
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfsmc View Post
    I spoke with a Verizon agent last week about the update. She said that you can not remove the SIM card inside the Razr, and replace it with a local lower cost European SIM. If I want use my phone I must use Verizon's expensive plan. My other concern is that the ICS update does not go through before I need to leave.

Thank you both for your advice.
    That is frankly a lie from the rep.
    The Razr and all other LTE phones that support GMS are unlocked for local international SIMs once on ICS.
    I have forgotten more about technology, than most people will ever know in their lifetime.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post

The Razr and all other LTE phones that support GMS are unlocked for local international SIMs once on ICS.
    yes, verizon will usually tell you that because they want your money but foreign sims do work.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    There is a BIG caution to that statement. While it is true all of the Verizon ICS phones are unlocked and have removable sims, and while it is also true that they can be used for making calls using foreign sim cards, it is not quite the whole story. As usual Verizon got very cute and with some of their phones like the Galaxy Note 2 they made it impossible to add APN information for any carrier other than Verizon which means that even if you put in a foreign sim, you can make calls but you cannot get data even on 3G when using a foreign sim. The only way to get around it is to root those phones. Once again Verizon has gone out of its way to figure out a way to squeeze more money out of their customers. By the way, the Galaxy Note 2 is carried by every single other carrier and on all, except Verizon you can add whatever APN information you want. So much for the meaning of the term "global phone" at Verizon.
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by beefchopper View Post

There is a BIG caution to that statement. While it is true all of the Verizon ICS phones are unlocked and have removable sims, and while it is also true that they can be used for making calls using foreign sim cards, it is not quite the whole story. As usual Verizon got very cute and with some of their phones like the Galaxy Note 2 they made it impossible to add APN information for any carrier other than Verizon which means that even if you put in a foreign sim, you can make calls but you cannot get data even on 3G when using a foreign sim. The only way to get around it is to root those phones. Once again Verizon has gone out of its way to figure out a way to squeeze more money out of their customers. By the way, the Galaxy Note 2 is carried by every single other carrier and on all, except Verizon you can add whatever APN information you want. So much for the meaning of the term "global phone" at Verizon.
    Wow, very sneaky of verizon. Currently you can access the apn settings in the Razr and Razr Maxx but wonder if Verizon will change that with the Jelly Bean update.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Wow, very sneaky of verizon. Currently you can access the apn settings in the Razr and Razr Maxx but wonder if Verizon will change that with the Jelly Bean update.
    I certainly would not bet against that happening. This was no accident. It is clear Verizon went out of their way to eliminate a feature on every other carrier's phone and remember the Verizon version was the last one released.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by beefchopper View Post
    What about WiFi - does that still work with foreign SIM cards?
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ggeinec View Post

What about WiFi - does that still work with foreign SIM cards?
    WiFi still works without any SIM card (foreign or domestic), without service and even in airplane mode.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR Maxx (4.2.1 rooted)
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    I'm running the leaked JB 4.1.2, and it appears to be possible to add new APNs in Settings.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Links