DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: International travel with Razr Maxx

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by heantune View Post
    Testing in USA, Verizon Droid Razr Maxx, Android ICS

1) Tru micro SIM arrived (Tru - the global mobile network).
    2) Tested SIM in an unlocked GSM phone as a full sized SIM, worked Ok, connected to T-Mobile and I was able to call out and receive calls.
    3) Put micro SIM into Verizon Droid Razr Maxx and switched it on.
    4) Message "The SIM card is from an unknown source"
    5) No cellular or data connection.

I would be interested to hear if other non-US micro SIMs do the same in this phone when located in the USA. Anybody?
    I will take the SIM on my next out of the USA trip and see if it works in the Droid, but it could be next year before that happens.

Currently discussing with Tru help desk.

H
    I found sometimes you had to tweak the apn settings in order to get data to work. It could be that we actually have to unlock our phones, though.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by heantune View Post
    Testing in USA, Verizon Droid Razr Maxx, Android ICS

1) Tru micro SIM arrived (Tru - the global mobile network).
    2) Tested SIM in an unlocked GSM phone as a full sized SIM, worked Ok, connected to T-Mobile and I was able to call out and receive calls.
    3) Put micro SIM into Verizon Droid Razr Maxx and switched it on.
    4) Message "The SIM card is from an unknown source"
    5) No cellular or data connection.

I would be interested to hear if other non-US micro SIMs do the same in this phone when located in the USA. Anybody?
    I will take the SIM on my next out of the USA trip and see if it works in the Droid, but it could be next year before that happens.

Currently discussing with Tru help desk.

H
    Based on some additional research on xda developers site, the "The SIM card is from an unknown source" message is to be expected and can be ignored. However, it appears to be the case that although the Verizon Razr Maxx is unlocked for international use, there is an additional lock in there that prevents it from connecting to any US GSM provider. In conclusion myTru SIM should work in Europe even if it doesn't work here in USA - I will just have to wait until I get over there to be sure.

H
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Thanks for that update heantune. It is amazing that they are able to prevent it from using on a Us GSM but not on a foreign GSM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    So the i don't need to unlock my Droid razr maxx?

Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razor max
    No u don't I just went through the same thing in Afghanistan mine is a lil weird tho. I had to get the mtn sim then buy 1000 afg's (30$) then set my apn manually witch is (internet.mtn.af) no username or pass needed then send a text to 668 saying "m" u might have to do the same for where ur going but Idk about that for sure
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Blade
    Ok guy's. So on Oct 14th i am going to Uganda, I will first fly to Rome and then to Entebe in Uganda. My questions are thus. I know if i make any change to my VZW acount i lose my unlimited data, which i cannot afford to do. I really wouldn't mind swapping to the vzw international plan, even though the rates are high, i will only use it for emergencies, and a daily txt to my wife. But to keep my unlimited it seems easier to just get a sim once i get there. So 1 can i get a sim in rome that will work in rome and uganda, or should i wait till i get to uganda to get a sim. 2 will doing vzw notice that i have bypassed them and used a foreign sim and take away my unlimited data? 3 will this even work in my vzw Razr maxx, i am seeing mixed reviewed of working and non. Would i be better off to just purchase another phone off contract and use it? the trip is only 3 weeks but i would much rather use my maxx if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!!
    My blade cuts Deep.... Maybe deep enough to forget about that Nex.....
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Hi everyone, new to posting in the forums but have read them a lot in the past. I'm in London right now and am about to throw the Razr out of my hotel window. I have Verizon and a global plan, but can't seem to get it to connect. I've changed to the GSM settings, the switched it to not allowing data just to check if it could connect. No matter what I do - nothing. I've seen suggestions on doing APN networks, but not sure if I need to do a verizon one while overseas or like a vodaphone - i tried doing Vodaphone, but it won't save. I just want the phone to work as I pay for it. When my company was on ATT, this never happened and probably why I'm so frustrated right now.

Thanks in advance.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwuthen View Post
    Hi everyone, new to posting in the forums but have read them a lot in the past. I'm in London right now and am about to throw the Razr out of my hotel window. I have Verizon and a global plan, but can't seem to get it to connect. I've changed to the GSM settings, the switched it to not allowing data just to check if it could connect. No matter what I do - nothing. I've seen suggestions on doing APN networks, but not sure if I need to do a verizon one while overseas or like a vodaphone - i tried doing Vodaphone, but it won't save. I just want the phone to work as I pay for it. When my company was on ATT, this never happened and probably why I'm so frustrated right now.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure if this is helpful, but here are some instructions from the Verizon website. I had a friend who had a similar problem and he had to call Verizon in the US to have them make some sort of a change in their computer to make it work for him (he did not have a Razr, just another Verizon global phone).

From the VZW website:

Effective June 22, 2012, select 4G smartphones can roam on both CDMA and GSM networks at 2G/3G speeds. (There is no roaming on 4G service outside the U.S. at this time).
    • The 4G device must have updated global software and establish a data session on the Verizon Wireless network prior to leaving the U.S.
    • Before you travel, contact Verizon Wireless by dialing *611 from your wireless device or (800)922-0204 from any phone to enable international roaming.

If you have previously added global features you can add/change global features via the Change Features and My Device screens in My Verizon.

Business customers can add/change global features via My Business.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    If you are unlocked, swapping out sim. Cards shouldn't affect your unlimited plan.

10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr xt 912

razr xt912

Hi expert,
    I'm using motorola razr XT912 in Portugal, but I can connect Internet by Portugal 3G, the phone is Verizon version, can u tel me why and how to slove it?

thanks.
    Joao
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Links