DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SallyC
  • 1 Post By CMDRSTP
  • 1 Post By wxman2003

Thread: hi speed SD card

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

hi speed SD card

Im looking for a 32g High speed sd card for my Maxx. I want to get the fastest possable. I see that Samsung and Patriot make class 10 MicroSDHC cards. The Samsung rated at 13mbps and Patron at 10mbps. Im thinking of getting the Samsung. any input? also is a class 4 really fast enoph to record 1080p video?

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by ford7379trucks View Post
    Im looking for a 32g High speed sd card for my Maxx. I want to get the fastest possable. I see that Samsung and Patriot make class 10 MicroSDHC cards. The Samsung rated at 13mbps and Patron at 10mbps. Im thinking of getting the Samsung. any input? also is a class 4 really fast enoph to record 1080p video?
    The SD Association recommends the following:
    Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
    Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting
    Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera
    Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting
    Per Motorola, "Android also supports high speed SDcards. High speed means that the bus runs up to 50MHz, which is 25MBytes per second.A rough understanding of the class system, is MBytes per second. So a Class 10 card will write up to 10 MBytes per second. Since the high speed bus can transfer data up to 25MBytes per second, we can support a class up to Class 25 (when those cards are available)."

I had a discussion on the subject of class 10 cards and the Droid Razr with Matt (moderator at the Motorola forums) and he said the Class 10 card will work at rated speed for video recording. But if you were loading the SD card with media from your PC, it would transfer at the Class 6 speed of about 8 MB/s.

I have the Transcend 32GB class 10 ($26.98) on my phone and have no complaints at all with HD recording or playback.
    goddess17 likes this.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    MOTOROLA DROID RAZR MAXX
    Thank you, SallyC.
    SallyC likes this.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    thanks. I was reading the specs for the cards and they say a minumum of 10mbps not up to. of cource this would be what the card is capible to do not the divice.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    The SD Association recommends the following:
    Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
    Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting
    Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera
    Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting
    Per Motorola, "Android also supports high speed SDcards. High speed means that the bus runs up to 50MHz, which is 25MBytes per second.A rough understanding of the class system, is MBytes per second. So a Class 10 card will write up to 10 MBytes per second. Since the high speed bus can transfer data up to 25MBytes per second, we can support a class up to Class 25 (when those cards are available)."

I had a discussion on the subject of class 10 cards and the Droid Razr with Matt (moderator at the Motorola forums) and he said the Class 10 card will work at rated speed for video recording. But if you were loading the SD card with media from your PC, it would transfer at the Class 6 speed of about 8 MB/s.

I have the Transcend 32GB class 10 ($26.98) on my phone and have no complaints at all with HD recording or playback.
    Do you have the link for the microSD card? The link you provided is for the larger SD card and will not fit in MAXX.
    SallyC likes this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Do you have the link for the microSD card? The link you provided is for the larger SD card and will not fit in MAXX.
    Oh sorry! That's the one I got for my camera. For the phone I got this PNY 32 GB Class 10 which is $35.36. I've had it since last November - no problems or issues.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Oh sorry! That's the one I got for my camera. For the phone I got this PNY 32 GB Class 10 which is $35.36. I've had it since last November - no problems or issues.
    +1
    Same card, no issues. I actually bought it for my old phone, stored my music (mp3@320kbit) on it and streamed it through my stereo via tape deck adapter (my van doesn't have an AUX). It worked, but the sound quality sucked. After getting my MAXX, I transferred the card over and played it, and the sound quality was much better, still on the tape deck adapter. So it was the fault of my old phone. Of course, then I discovered Google Music, uploaded all of my music to it and stream it, since I have unlimited data, anyway. I haven't used it to record video.

Links