DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you use?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The one time I.used my.Google maps app for a long trip, I had a generic Car charger that put out under .5A while charging, rather than the oem 1A.

Needless to say, my phone, after 1.5 hrs was down to 40%. I won't use it without a better charger or ill use my standalone unit.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalDreams
    I use Google maps when I am local but for long drives (we drive cross country one a year or more) I like to use a 3rd party app that doesn't require data. For some reason we ALWAYS find a stretch of road that doesn't have service. Years ago when we just had dumb phones we found a 4 hour gap of road with no cell service, FF to first trip with my droid x we found a 2 hour gap of no internet service. Another benefit is it doesn't chew your data for those that are on limited data, you download the maps to your phone/SD card (using WiFi). The map updates are normally a small amount of data but you can still opt to use a WiFi connection for that.

I have CoPilot and Syngic both offer different ways to customize them.

Sirius/XM

You may also want to get a battery meter. I use Battery Indicator, I have heard Battery Circle and BadAss Battery are good.

Welcome to the Maxx and the forums there is no dumb question here so feel free to ask anything, use the search options, and enjoy yourself
    Both, Copilot & Sygic look tons better than google maps. Do you find that you ever use google for anything or do you just stick with these? They look like excellent apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Both, Copilot & Sygic look tons better than google maps. Do you find that you ever use google for anything or do you just stick with these? They look like excellent apps.
    Google Maps is free, and the others are pretty pricey. I also have yet to be in an area without at least decent 3G service, and you can now precache maps in Google Maps.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back to CA or somewhere away from snow!!
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone
    Note II, Razr Maxx
    I would say I use Google maps 1 out of 10 local trips that I am unsure where I am going. Main reason is I forgot to type in the address in to the app before leaving the house. With GMaps I can press the address from my email and it takes me to Gmaps... I haven't tried to see if I can set that up for the other apps as it doesn't happen often enough for me to think about it

EDIT for price. Yes they can be pricey but
    1) Garmin - TomTom and other GPS stand alone units charge you a yearly update fee, these do not.
    2) 3G/4G coverage area may or may not effect you (It has effected me and getting lost in the mountains at night was not fun!)
    3) without unlimited data you will end up paying more over time for Google Maps than you will to buy a GPS app that doesn't use data.
    Last edited by MysticalDreams; 06-05-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    How People Treat You Is Their Karma
    How You React Is Your Karma
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Some of the reviews on the new version of CoPilot Live (on Google Play) are BRUTAL.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back to CA or somewhere away from snow!!
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone
    Note II, Razr Maxx
    NavFree is a free GPS App that doesn't use data. I have not tried it so if it doesn't work please don't get mad at me, if it does work you can thank me for finding it. Just Kidding

EDIT: I downloaded NavFree to try it. IMO its not as user friendly and when I try to put in addresses I KNOW exist (my old addy in CA, my parents addy, my high school addy) the app couldn't find any of the streets... maybe someone else will have better luck.
    Last edited by MysticalDreams; 06-05-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    How People Treat You Is Their Karma
    How You React Is Your Karma
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I agree. I have used navfree for when I go to canada or if I am traveling where data is sketchy. It works great but not user friendly at all. Everytime I go to use it, I have to re-learn it again. And it doesn't have nearly the features that copilot or sygic has.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    I have found NavFree to work pretty well. I use it when I'm in Europe and the only problem I have is that the keyboard doesn't have all of the characters I need to spell some locations. I haven't tried any multilingual keyboards. It seems to find addresses pretty well, but far from perfect.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    To the Op (and whoever else) ICS is around the corner (I guess) but for some fun and excitement in customization the GoLauncherEX, GoLocker, GoWidgets stuff is fun and free.
    mysticalmalissa likes this.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I tried NavFree, and...

The OSM data is not bad, though behind reality. My old elementary school closed years ago, yet it is still listed. (It is now a community center.)

A new freeway exit not far from the house that opened nearly two years ago is not depicted.

But the bigger knock is the navigation itself.

I tried my route to work, and NavFree took me nearly 3 miles out of the way, because it routed via our nearest freeway...out of the way. (The shortest and quickest way is via local side streets, which Google Maps got nearly 100% right...only missing the final side street in favor of going directly to the main drag my work is on.)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links