DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Is it the RAZR MAXX's video recording or is it my computer?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    I just recorded a video with my RAZR MAXX for the first time, and I've run into a problem.. I find it a little annoying because I'm not sure where the problem is coming from..

When I record the video, it does it just fine on the phone itself. However, when I go and transfer it to the computer, it's displayed sideways and I find myself having to download third party programs in order to rotate this (very very annoying).

What do you all use to rotate videos?
    Last edited by altjx; 05-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Any suggestions? Thread title is irrelevant to my question, but that's beyond my control using the DROID forum app.
  4. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by altjx View Post
    I just recorded a video with my RAZR MAXX for the first time, and I've run into a problem.. I find it a little annoying because I'm not sure where the problem is coming from..

When I record the video, it does it just fine on the phone itself. However, when I go and transfer it to the computer, it's displayed sideways and I find myself having to download third party programs in order to rotate this (very very annoying).

What do you all use to rotate videos?
    How are you holding the phone when you record video? In portrait or landscape? The stock camera app is designed to take video in landscape mode, so video taken in portrait mode will be turned sideways when viewing on another device or with a different app. I'm not aware of a way to change that in the stock app.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness

How are you holding the phone when you record video? In portrait or landscape? The stock camera app is designed to take video in landscape mode, so video taken in portrait mode will be turned sideways when viewing on another device or with a different app. I'm not aware of a way to change that in the stock app.
    I'm holding it straight upwards as if I'm looking at everything normally. So I need to hold it sideways for it to display correctly?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    Quote Originally Posted by altjx

I'm holding it straight upwards as if I'm looking at everything normally. So I need to hold it sideways for it to display correctly?
    Yes.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie

Yes.
    Interesting. Thank you.
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by altjx View Post
    Yep. The stock camera app is designed to be used in landscape mode, which is holding it sideways (have you noticed how the on-screen controls remain sideways on the screen when holding the phone normally?). I'm sure there are third-party camera apps on the market that will allow you to record video in portrait mode ("straight upwards") and will keep the video in the proper alignment.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness

Yep. The stock camera app is designed to be used in landscape mode, which is holding it sideways (have you noticed how the on-screen controls remain sideways on the screen when holding the phone normally?). I'm sure there are third-party camera apps on the market that will allow you to record video in portrait mode ("straight upwards") and will keep the video in the proper alignment.
    Oh ok. Yeah this is fine, I just didn't know it was supposed to be held sideways lol.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    I know this is a little over a year old but I just realized that I had the same issue and had not been holding the phone in landscape. I found out that with Windows Movie Maker which is free and comes with windows you can rotate the movie so it displays correct on the computer. All I did was add the file in Widows movie maker clicked rotate right then clicked the drop down menu to the left of Home and clicked Save Movie. Select the setting you want for the movie I did for High Definition Display and typed in the name I wanted to save it as and it saved it as a Windows Media Video File and now it no longer displays sideways.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR Maxxx
    Same for me. I posted here a loooong time ago. No help.

Links