DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: storage issue

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    razr maxx

storage issue

Wasn't sure if i should post here because it is a maxx, or in the razr issue forum. 50/50 shot.

Anyway. I downloaded 7-ish gigs of content to my phone. To whay i thout was the sd card. Same location its been for all my privious devices. Moto droid, droid x, htc thunderbolt... that mnt/sdcard. Its the default storage location for ttorrent. Anyway, got warning message on phone stating i am low on volume space. Took a look at my storage and it shows the internal storage is almost full and sd card is barely used. Opened astro and i see that everything is under mnt/sdcard. Also just sdcard (i assume these two go to the same place) so i unmounted sdcard for safe removal and removed card. Exited out of astro and back in, files still there, even played a song and viewed a photo. So why is everything stored internally when set to that file path? And how do i actually get it on the card.. my comouter is not running at the moment so i cant view the card seperatly to see if its on there too (im guessing its not)

Please help!

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    razr maxx
    Tried to edit first post but couldnt sxroll to bottom from phone. Sorry for double post. I belive i resolved my own issue. I jave not verified it through testing yet. But it seems they changed the file path to mnt/sdcard-ext..
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2290 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson_es View Post
    Tried to edit first post but couldnt sxroll to bottom from phone. Sorry for double post. I belive i resolved my own issue. I jave not verified it through testing yet. But it seems they changed the file path to mnt/sdcard-ext..
    Yes, sdcard is a partition of the internal 16GB which sets aside 8GB for storage of personal data and files, and splits the remaining 8GB portion into two parts - about half each...one portion for apps and the other for the system I believe. Sdcard-ext is the removable card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    On a related note, it seems there are some apps which use /mnt/sdcard as their default path for sdcard storage. Is there any way to universally set all apps to use /mnt/sdcard-ext instead, for things like backup files, downloads, etc?
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2290 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    On a related note, it seems there are some apps which use /mnt/sdcard as their default path for sdcard storage. Is there any way to universally set all apps to use /mnt/sdcard-ext instead, for things like backup files, downloads, etc?
    That would be a welcome feature as far as I'm concerned. There are advantages to the internal SD card, mainly that it's there sooner upon boot, it's on board, so it's less susceptible to failures, being closer to the processor makes it faster to respond, and it's always there.

Still, the advantage of being removable is very compelling and I believe makes the removable SD card more secure since it can be stored outside the phone, and if the phone completely fails, at least you can still recover the card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAAX 4GLTE
    I was having the same problem. Last night I downloaded the app Storage Analyser (not Analyzer). It showed that I had a huge backup file that I was able to delete. Low storage notification went away, all is well.

Droid Razr Maxx - not rooted.

Sam

Links