DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Razr maxx durabilty and case questions

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    razr maxx

Razr maxx durabilty and case questions

Hi everyone I am new here and have a few questions. I just got a razr maxx phone and so far the battery is great and 4G is fast but the phone itself is big. I have been reading on how the screens crack if stressed from being in a pocket. I always carry my phone in front pocket and I am wondering if this is a isolated issure or not? I was looking at getting a trident kraken case but that looks like it adds quite a bit of size to phone. I am wondering if I should keep this phone or take it back for something smaller because it will almost always be in my pocket and a belt clip holder is not really a option for me. Thanks

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    I carry mine in front LOOSE pockets, but ya if you sit down and it gets pressured I wouldn't have too much faith in a thin piece of glass. Probably won't be an issue, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. If I was that worried about it, I'd buy a cheap case/holster :-)

Also welcome to the MAXX club :-)
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mod381
    Hi everyone I am new here and have a few questions. I just got a razr maxx phone and so far the battery is great and 4G is fast but the phone itself is big. I have been reading on how the screens crack if stressed from being in a pocket. I always carry my phone in front pocket and I am wondering if this is a isolated issure or not? I was looking at getting a trident kraken case but that looks like it adds quite a bit of size to phone. I am wondering if I should keep this phone or take it back for something smaller because it will almost always be in my pocket and a belt clip holder is not really a option for me. Thanks
    What's your history with phones??? Are you rough on them??? Do you have insurance on your device???

I run all of my devices in otterbox defenders. Just because I want that added protection. That's just me.

Think about it.... a device this thin gives up quite a bit in structural rigidity.

Want to see how its put together??? Go on you tube and search for videos where they take them apart.....

That being said.... I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it....

This is just my opinion though.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    I always carry mine in my left front pocket. Always. Holsters and belt clips just look ridiculous to me. No offense to the holsters and belt clip crowd. I have mine in the Diztronic case (which I can't recommend highly enough if you want decent protection with minimal added bulk) with a screen protector. I also go without a case on many occasions. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I don't think what you're referring to is a widespread problem. But of course, as has already been said, if you put a lot of pressure on it, it could crack. But that's the case for many phones.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it...unless you always wear skinny jeans...but then you should probably be more worried about the fact that you're always wearing skinny jeans.
    mike770 likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Baahahahahahaha... nice comment about the skinny jeans lmao...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    mike770 likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I can't stand holsters or clips either and almost always carry my phone in my front pocket, but they are loose. Mrs. Trash Can likes to carry hers in her rear pocket. I've been warning her that it's not a good idea, but so far so good. Both of us have the Otterbox Commuter.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Can
    I can't stand holsters or clips either and almost always carry my phone in my front pocket, but they are loose. Mrs. Trash Can likes to carry hers in her rear pocket. I've been warning her that it's not a good idea, but so far so good. Both of us have the Otterbox Commuter.
    I didn't mention, I never use my clip.....

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    razr maxx
    Thanks for the replies. NO skinny jeans for me. My history on phones is so so. I try to be gentile but I do work in a shop so stuff does happen. I am just concerned because while searching for a case I have come across quite a few complaints of the screen just cracking from the inside on this phone. I go bike riding,snowmobiling etc so phone is in my front pocket and probably will get flexed some due to its size. That is why the belt clip is not a option because I want to be able to just put in my pocket and go. I am strongly considering returning it because of number of complaints I have read but it would be a shame because the battery is great.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mod381
    Thanks for the replies. NO skinny jeans for me. My history on phones is so so. I try to be gentile but I do work in a shop so stuff does happen. I am just concerned because while searching for a case I have come across quite a few complaints of the screen just cracking from the inside on this phone. I go bike riding,snowmobiling etc so phone is in my front pocket and probably will get flexed some due to its size. That is why the belt clip is not a option because I want to be able to just put in my pocket and go. I am strongly considering returning it because of number of complaints I have read but it would be a shame because the battery is great.
    The cracking isn't all that common. Just a thought... for all of the posts you see about the screen cracking, there are alot more that haven't cracked.

For exercise, you might think of an arm band to hold the phone. That's what I do when i run....well did. I decided that I didn't want to sweat the phone to death.

I'm considering a moto active for myself and the wife.... but I'm not sure yet.

There are people that do just shove these phones in their front pockets with no problems... then others have them break when they look at them..... I'm exaggerating..... but I think the strength of this device is relative....

A person who is gentle may think its strong, an active person may think its a little fragile... a carpenter may think its a terrible hammer..... so the decision lies with you...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    bsweetness likes this.
  11. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    The cracking isn't all that common. Just a thought... for all of the posts you see about the screen cracking, there are alot more that haven't cracked.
    Exactly. Like with most anything, it's a minority of people that have problems, and of course they're going to be the most vocal. No one thinks to go online and say "This phone is great because it hasn't broken under the pressure of being in my pocket!" That's the sort of thing you don't expect to happen, so if it does, you're likely to make your issue known. If it was a widespread problem, many more people would be talking about it. I frequent several of the more popular tech forums, and I've seen very few instances of it. And in most of the situation I've read about, I'd say there was often quite a bit of user error involved as well. I really don't think it's a problem to be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    I'm considering a moto active for myself and the wife.... but I'm not sure yet.
    Not to get too far off track here, but I've got to give a major plug for the MotoACTV. I'm continually amazed by how much the device is capable of doing. And Motorola keeps updating it, adding new features and extending the battery life even further. It's been one of most pleasantly surprising purchases I've made in a long time. I very highly recommend it.
    94lt1 likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links