DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FoxKat

Thread: Data Storage for Droid RAZR MAXX

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Optimus V

Question Data Storage for Droid RAZR MAXX

I know little to nothing about data storage in cell phones, so I have no idea what to do if I try to get this phone. Could somebody explain to me exactly when data storage is charged? Am I just charged for a certain amount of downloaded materials? When I download an application, does it charge me? When I use an application to download a song, does it charge me? This probably sounds like the dumbest question ever, but I don't know much about it.
  2. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    "Data storage" isn't charged. That's the amount of storage you have on your phone for saving things (music, movies, photos, etc.).

If you're on a tiered data plan, they keep track of your 3G/4G data usage. So if you download an app over Verizon's network, that counts against your allotment of data. If you use an application to download a song, that counts against your allotment of data. Anything that uses the internet when you're connected to Verizon's data network will count against your allotment of data. You're already paying for a certain amount each month, so you won't get "charged" anything beyond that unless you go over the amount you're paying for.

However, any internet usage via WiFi does not count against your allotment of data.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    "Data storage" isn't charged. That's the amount of storage you have on your phone for saving things (music, movies, photos, etc.).

If you're on a tiered data plan, they keep track of your 3G/4G data usage. So if you download an app over Verizon's network, that counts against your allotment of data. If you use an application to download a song, that counts against your allotment of data. Anything that uses the internet when you're connected to Verizon's data network will count against your allotment of data. You're already paying for a certain amount each month, so you won't get "charged" anything beyond that unless you go over the amount you're paying for.

However, any internet usage via WiFi does not count against your allotment of data.
    So if I use the browser to read something using the 4G internet connection without downloading anything, it would still count against me? Also, does that mean that if I use my WiFi connection to download an app, song, etc., it won't have any effect on my data allotment?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    motorola droid 2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by IleDile

So if I use the browser to read something using the 4G internet connection without downloading anything, it would still count against me? Also, does that mean that if I use my WiFi connection to download an app, song, etc., it won't have any effect on my data allotment?
    Yep, use Wi-Fi whenever possible!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    razor max
    If u read news online thru 4g u are using data and it counts as data. The data that displays that website has to reach your phone. Using wifi connection to download app won't count as data used.
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IleDile View Post
    Yes. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over 3G/4G will count against your allotment of data. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over WiFi will not count against your allotment of data.

You can keep track of your 3G/4G data usage with the My Verizon Mobile app.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Yes. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over 3G/4G will count against your allotment of data. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over WiFi will not count against your allotment of data.

You can keep track of your 3G/4G data usage with the My Verizon Mobile app.
    100% correct! But I expect nothing less from bsweetness!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.
    bsweetness likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Links