DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: possible water damage

  1. Droid Ninja
    SallyC's Avatar
    Member #
    238799
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,212
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukee View Post
    If you subscribe to motorola news feed for tips and tricks for your razr maxx they tell you point blank about the phone being protected from water spills and getting it wet if you get caught in the rain with it. They also tell you the limits of that protection. More than likely if they find that the phone has water damage they are going to claim that you exceeded the water protection by keeping the phone submerged in water for a long period of time which they state in black and white its not water proof. How will they know that it stayed submerged i have no idea nor do any of us on this forum. Only you know what happened.
    The info I posted above (post #44) is from that feed. It would seem to me that what the OP said occurred specifically was mentioned in the feed - "spilled drink" - and should be covered. But how they can tell a spilled drink from the other things they mentioned, I don't know. Perhaps there are indicators whose sensitivity don't turn color until a longer period of time or degree of wetness.

    Hopefully dropzone will post us an update on how it turned out.
    FoxKat likes this.
  2. Droid Ninja
    xmguy's Avatar
    Member #
    65364
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    RURAL TN
    Posts
    1,070
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4 | Commando 4G
    #52
    When I got caught in the rain last year with my then Droid X. The water sensor got tripped and all. However it worked great for a few months then started to mess up. The day it happened, I called Verizon and told them what happened exactly. Asked since was unforeseen and it was not intentional would they allow a swap. They said no. So long story short on the warranty side. I got a replacement Droid X via Asurian. Paid the deductible and moved on.

    Here is the kicker. The RAZR and RAZR maxx have no visible stickers on the phone. Most phones the sticker is visible. So if you trip it you know you have to call Asurian or look on the auction sites if you have no insurance. However with the RAZR all the stickers are INSIDE and (without voiding the warranty more with opening it) can't be accessible. So you have 2 options both have the same outcome. Open the phone see if the sensors are tripped then call Asurian. Or call Asurian right away.
    Verizon told me even if I don't know the sensor was or wasn't tripped if they catch it they hit me up with full retail cost. I even worry if my jeans get sweaty with the phone in my pocket. Don't take the chance. Don't commit fraud either. Call Asurian if you have it. Paying $100 is a heck of alot cheaper than paying full retail for sending to Verizon and them seeing (whether you knew or not) that the phone sensor was tripped and getting hit up for the full cost of the phone. Not even sure they'd replace it or just charge full retail for trying to scam them. Go to Asurian and be done with it. Best way...even if you don't want to.

    Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
    Last edited by xmguy; 05-08-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    FoxKat likes this.
    (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
  3. Droid Newbie
    dropzone's Avatar
    Member #
    260800
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #53
    i got my new phone from insurance and all is well. i said that i was going through insurance back on page 3 but it seems to have been over looked. im to old to be worried about what if's.

    i did take the back off the phone and even removed the battery. there are two indicators on the phone. one on the edge and one on the bottom. both are fully intact(bright white with red three Red X's on each). i dont know how they would ever be able to prove water damage but the risk was enough for me not to want to find out. even opening the phone i dont see how they could know you did. it was much easier then i thought it would be.
  4. Senior Droid
    crxlsturbo's Avatar
    Member #
    232190
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    226
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by dropzone
    i got my new phone from insurance and all is well. i said that i was going through insurance back on page 3 but it seems to have been over looked. im to old to be worried about what if's.

    i did take the back off the phone and even removed the battery. there are two indicators on the phone. one on the edge and one on the bottom. both are fully intact(bright white with red three Red X's on each). i dont know how they would ever be able to prove water damage but the risk was enough for me not to want to find out. even opening the phone i dont see how they could know you did. it was much easier then i thought it would be.
    Good to hear that. Same as me also. 3 weeks ago I sent my wife's nexus in cause she accidently put it in the washing machine with her clothes. Told Verizon that it stopped working. They sent me a refurb. Well 2 weeks later it crapped out and just rebooted itself over and over. Plus the volume went to crap. So I called them back up, went through 1hr out them giving me BS troubleshooting tips and they asked me if I wanted them to send me another nexus. Told them well no cause I don't get really good 4g signal at my house. Tech asked me what my signal strength was on my Rezound and nexus to compare. And here is where the nexus has a pink pony for 4g antenna. My Rezound was -85dbm and my wife's nexus was -120dbm. What a huge difference. Well the tech told me I could choose between a Razr or Rezound. Well no brainer there. Choose to replace my wife's nexus with a refurb Rezound. It will just come with the phone and no beats or battery. No matter cause I my stock battery with cover for my wife.

    In all do what you want. That's why we pay for insurance to cover things that happen. As goes for a car. Glad everything worked out for you.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound
    Last edited by Vulcan1600; 05-09-2012 at 06:12 AM.
  5. Droid Newbie
    valenzetti's Avatar
    Member #
    263890
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    #55
    i know i'm about two weeks late on this but i just want to dispel the notion that putting a phone in a bag of rice is a good idea. i understand why it makes sense but the thing most people don't understand is that the water evaporation is what causes corrosion on the motherboard. if you accelerate the water evaporation, it's not like it happens less, it happens faster.. so guess what also happens faster? i know there are people who do the bag of rice thing and their phone works afterward, but it will guarantee more corrosion. so will heating it up with a hairdryer. anything that causes the water to evaporate, at any speed, will cause more corrosion. they best thing you could do would be to blow it off with an air compressor. the water isn't evaporating then, it's rapidly being removed. there was a guide someone posted a few pages back that seemed somewhat decent and it recommended soaking the phone in alcohol, which is close to true because the alcohol dispels the water and will not cause corrosion upon evaporation.. but the alcohol can soak into your lcd/digitizer and ruin your display.

    just some thoughts.
  6. Master Droid
    Ghostwheel's Avatar
    Member #
    29757
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    395
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by valenzetti View Post
    i know i'm about two weeks late on this but i just want to dispel the notion that putting a phone in a bag of rice is a good idea. i understand why it makes sense but the thing most people don't understand is that the water evaporation is what causes corrosion on the motherboard. if you accelerate the water evaporation, it's not like it happens less, it happens faster.. so guess what also happens faster? i know there are people who do the bag of rice thing and their phone works afterward, but it will guarantee more corrosion. so will heating it up with a hairdryer. anything that causes the water to evaporate, at any speed, will cause more corrosion. they best thing you could do would be to blow it off with an air compressor. the water isn't evaporating then, it's rapidly being removed. there was a guide someone posted a few pages back that seemed somewhat decent and it recommended soaking the phone in alcohol, which is close to true because the alcohol dispels the water and will not cause corrosion upon evaporation.. but the alcohol can soak into your lcd/digitizer and ruin your display.

    just some thoughts.

    As an engineer and a former physics TA, you are absolutely incorrect about evaporation and corrosion. Oxidation occurs while water is in contact with the metal. The quicker water is removed from the metal, the less oxidation. If you spill water on a steel plate and use a blow dryer to dry it off quickly, it won't rust instantly before your eyes. But if you let the same amount of water evaporate over a couple of days, you will get a nice rusty patch.

    As far as using a hair dryer or an air compressor on a Droid, I'd advise against both - you could end up doing more damage than the water itself would have done.
  7. Droid Newbie
    ScaryRobot's Avatar
    Member #
    272796
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    #57
    Im new here im sorry can anyone help me too??? I water tested my Razr in a faucet of running water.For about 5seconds...It's still working after around 20 minutes my volume down rocker became faulty. And suddenly It shut down by itself. I turned it on and it went to the Boot screen with "Device: Locked" I turned it off again decided to boot it by pressing Volume Down + Up together with Power Button. It went to the boot screen again for recovery. I tried to scroll thru volume down rocker it doesn't work. Then I hold the power button tried to turn it on normally. It turns on but all my downloaded apps were gone and my downloaded widgets says "problem loading the widget". And there is prompt on the left bottom of the screen saying "Safe Mode"..... Im thinking is my volume rocker already damaged? Please I need help on this. Thank you.
  8. Rescue Squad
    TisMyDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    171269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,462
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #58
    Wow! Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I am in shock that you put your phone under running water. Not on purpose, right?

    The phone is water resistant but not water proof... so you still want to protect it from water (even though there are crazy youtube videos that try to demonstrate otherwise).

    The very first thing you want to do is turn the phone off because there is water in there somewhere and the water mixed with the phone being on can short it out and cause more damage.

    The second thing is to get your phone 100% dry before you do anything else. Put it on rice. Throw in some silicon packs if you have them and let the phone sit there in a sunny warm spot for at least 24 hours. Don't touch it.

    Then before turning your phone on, you want to charge it. Plug it in to the wall using the charger that came with the phone... for several hours.

    Once charged and if the phone is not ruined, hopefully we can help you film there.

    I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
  9. Droid Newbie
    ScaryRobot's Avatar
    Member #
    272796
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    #59
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Wow! Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I am in shock that you put your phone under running water. Not on purpose, right?

    The phone is water resistant but not water proof... so you still want to protect it from water (even though there are crazy youtube videos that try to demonstrate otherwise).

    The very first thing you want to do is turn the phone off because there is water in there somewhere and the water mixed with the phone being on can short it out and cause more damage.

    The second thing is to get your phone 100% dry before you do anything else. Put it on rice. Throw in some silicon packs if you have them and let the phone sit there in a sunny warm spot for at least 24 hours. Don't touch it.

    Then before turning your phone on, you want to charge it. Plug it in to the wall using the charger that came with the phone... for several hours.

    Once charged and if the phone is not ruined, hopefully we can help you film there.

    I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Got it... Thank you :-)
  10. Rescue Squad
    TisMyDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    171269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,462
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #60
    Let us know how it goes. We're rooting for you and your Razr!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Water Damage?
    By faeryfyre in forum Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
  2. Water Damage
    By AngelOfAnger in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
  3. water damage please help
    By riddlebox420 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
  4. water damage?
    By Skullx in forum ChevyNo1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
  5. Water damage
    By DAFISHER in forum Droid Incredible Tech Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM

Search tags for this page

droid razr maxx water damage

,
droid razr maxx water damage indicator
,

droid razr water damage

,
how to check droid razr for water damage
,

how to check for water damage on droid razr

,

how to tell if a droid razr has water damage

,

how to tell if droid razr has water damage

,

how to tell if your droid razr has water damage

,
liquid damage indicator droid razr
,
razr maxx water indicator
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+