DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Updates

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Updates

I am new to a Droid and new to this forum. My question is about updates to Apps. I keep getting notifications that there are updates to apps that I will never use. Is there anyway to make those update notifications for certain Apps go away? If I hide the apps, will I still get the update notifications? For example, I do not use ANY MUSIC apps although they were installed on the phone when I got them which is fine. I don't mind them being there just don't want to receive notificaitons that use up my data for installing updates for something I won't use.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    703 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    When you have the Play Store open if you hit the menu button and go into the settings, you can uncheck to send you notifications on updates. Then for the APPS you do want updated you can go to them one by one and tell it to do auto updates, that way you never get notified and all your APPS you want to use are always updated.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back to CA or somewhere away from snow!!
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone
    Note II, Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
    When you have the Play Store open if you hit the menu button and go into the settings, you can uncheck to send you notifications on updates. Then for the APPS you do want updated you can go to them one by one and tell it to do auto updates, that way you never get notified and all your APPS you want to use are always updated.
    You can also check update over WiFi only
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I don't like auto updating, since a lot of the updates don't apply to my phone, I don't want to mess with them. So, if I keep notifications on, is there any way to make a particular notification go away until there is another update to that app that I may want to download?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back to CA or somewhere away from snow!!
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone
    Note II, Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by gohoosiers View Post
    I don't like auto updating, since a lot of the updates don't apply to my phone, I don't want to mess with them. So, if I keep notifications on, is there any way to make a particular notification go away until there is another update to that app that I may want to download?
    Not sure I know the answer to your question but I was curious how there could be an update that you are getting a notification for that doesn't apply to your phone.
    How People Treat You Is Their Karma
    How You React Is Your Karma
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    I agree with the question by MysticalDreams, but if you mean that sometimes the updates "fix" things that are related to some phones but not yours, that's OK. As long as the "fix" doesn't "break it" for your phone. There is no way that I know of to install an app from the Play Store that is not compatible with your phone, as the system knows what phone you are sending it to and all apps have to register what phones they are compatible with.

Also, MysticalDream's valid and helpful suggestion of WIFI only for updates will curtail your Data Usage by limiting updates to only WIFI, which may eliminate any concern you have for auto-updating.

But to answer your underlying question, no there is no way to turn off notifications on just certain apps, and hiding them does nothing to prevent them from notifying, AFAIK. It's all or nothing, however the solution put forth by Sydman is not only a good one, but I plan on implementing it right now! Thanks, Sydman! This is great...some people come here looking for help, others to give help, and some for both reasons, but it often winds up that the help-giver becomes the help-receiver unknowingly! That's what makes an open forum so powerful! Power to the people!!
    Last edited by FoxKat; 06-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalDreams View Post
    Not sure I know the answer to your question but I was curious how there could be an update that you are getting a notification for that doesn't apply to your phone.
    The update will be for an app that I have, but will say something like "Fixes issues with tablets" or whatever. I don't want to mess with it because it doesn't apply to my phone and I believe in - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, it would be nice if you could eliminate that notification until the next time there is an update for that app. But, apparently this isn't possible, so I will follow the previous recommendations.

It also appears that setting an individual app to auto update changes the global setting, so that all apps will auto-update. I'm on a D2, gingerbread.
    Last edited by gohoosiers; 06-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Links