DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: RAZR Maxx screen is a bummer....

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    I have to agree with BSweetness on the screen brightness, I have mine set to the lowest 11% and it is too bright still in low light. I have a toggle to kick it up to 100% when I am outside and I can see the screen well enough.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    RazrMaxx/Droid1(retired)/dinc2
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    You make that sound easy for a phone that most stores can't even get in stock much less have one to show people
    True that... but most should at least have the razor on the display...

----posted maxx'ed out----

new server if any of my links are dead notify me, I got new links!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    My screen looks great. I have it set to 50% brightness because at low brightness it tends to look greenish. By the way, the DX has a lower res screen than the Razr.
    jroc likes this.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I put a brightness toggle on home screen just tap to adjust 3 levels works great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    For what it's worth, some of the differences people are seeing is b/c they're going from one screen type, pixel layout, etc., to a completely different one. And if you haven't used the new device extensively, you're going to be VERY used to the older style (such as the LCD on the Droid X) since you look at it every single day, and probably have been for a long time. Then you throw into the mix this pentile pixel layout that Moto has been using (both RGBW on the D3, DX2, and Bionic, and RGBG on the Razr/Maxx), and it can be quite a shocker. LCD tends to be more accurate in colors, but toned down a bit. Therefore when you go from looking at that every day, to looking at something that has to cope with an extra green pixel (RGBG) or white pixel (RGBW), it can be a tough adjustment initially. RGBW on the Bionic, etc., makes the screen very bright and by far the best to use outside thanks to that extra white pixel. But it also makes things look more pixelated, at times. RGBG tends to have a tint to it, and the whites aren't as white as RGBW (obviously) or LCD/Super-LCD. It also tends to look "warmer" with the colors "popping" more. With Super AMOLED, blacks tend to be true black as well, instead of that black with a glow that LCD and RGBW has.

I didn't elaborate real well on that, but look at this thread (not to tout my own post!): Rezound / Razr / Bionic - Side by Side Pics and Videos . The Rezound is going to be the most similar to the DX, but with a much higher resolution. In these pics you can really see the differences in the brightness of RGBW, the warmth/pop of RGBG, and the accuracy of SLCD. As has been stated, each has their benefits and drawbacks, but I can understand someone having a negative reaction moving from the more accurate LCD to something like Super AMOLED with RGBG pentile...

Oh also, the Gnex basically has the same screen as the Maxx/Razr, it's just 720p instead of qHD. I think the brightness issues on the Gnex are more related to the fact that the auto-brightness in that phone just has a tendency to think too dimly, b/c once it's turned up, it's fine.

And the bottom line, again as has been stated, is it's all extremely subjective. As soon as I get on here and tell you Super Amoled with RGBG has a "tint", someone will come here saying "you're crazy man, I see NO tint on mine!"
    Last edited by jntdroid; 04-09-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    jroc likes this.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Ahhh one of these threads again....lol

And I keep hearing the Bionic has probably the best screen for viewing outdoors right now.

Of course...all this is just my opinion.
    My Bionic is way brighter than my RAZR, but it only matters in direct sun and even then the RAZR is usable. Otherwise, the Bionic screen is pale and boring compared to the RAZR, and the pentile matrix is more obvious to me on the Bionic.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    Just got a Razr Maxx last week and I'm really bummed out by the display quality The phone is mega fast and very snappy but I just can't get past the screen... My old DX makes this thing look pitiful. Guess I'm going to take it back
    I did not read all the replies but I to came from a DX, (bought it the day it came out, same with the razr maxx), and I can absolutely tell you after almost 2yrs with the DX which I loved and now my wife uses, that the screen is in every way better than the DX including brightness so you might need to get you phone checked out
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Phone
    Moto RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Are you using the stock browser? If so try this:

Open the browser. Hit the Settings key. Hit More. Hit Settings. Scroll all the way down til you see Enable Battery Saving Mode. See if the box is checked. If it is uncheck it, back out or exit the browser and see if that helps.

Thats assuming you are using the stock browser.
    Thanks for the tip jroc. The display brightness flare was bugging me for more than a month.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, DX2, D1 & DroidX
    I am psyched about the Razr Maxx outside usability. I have a outside gig this Saturday and being able to see the screen better than my failed DX2 is good news.

As far as colors and screens... I am color blind. Not like a dog.. but certainly have color issues. I liked all my screens D1, DX, DX2.. and Razr Maxx today. But I am easy! lol
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    After playing with this phone for 5 days I'm adjusted to it better. Still not thrilled about the brightness but I think I can get use to it. After thinking it over I don't want to give up the battery in this thing
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Links