DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Beware Killer Screen Protectors

Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Beware Killer Screen Protectors

Had an interested experience yesterday that I am going to share with Razr Maxx users, as a warning when choosing a screen protector. I bought mine at a Verizon store in the Mall in Kennesaw, Georgia. It was a Professional ScreenGuard made for the Razr. I was told that it would also fit the Maxx. The next day I found that I could hear my callers fine, but the person I was trying to talk to couldn't hear me! I called Verizon tech support, they told me to take my phone to a Verizon store, it was probably a defective speaker. When I took it to the Verizon store, the first thing they asked was where I bought the screen protector. I found that this "killer screen protector" was, in fact, covering (killing) the microphone! The mic is a hole located in the lower left of the glass, so if you buy a screen protector for your Maxx, make sure there is a hole or slot that allows the mic hole to be clear.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I don't think the average person needs a screen protector. Glass is hard to scratch, I don't care what anybody says.

I've never used a screen protector on any touch screen phone I've had and never got a scratch on the screen. Is it impossible? No. But I think the odds of it happening are very slim.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I don't think the average person needs a screen protector. Glass is hard to scratch, I don't care what anybody says.

I've never used a screen protector on any touch screen phone I've had and never got a scratch on the screen. Is it impossible? No. But I think the odds of it happening are very slim.
    People generally fall into two categories - those who have and those who will.

I can't stand fingerprints, smudges, etc. that come along with screen protectors, but I'd much rather deal with those than a scratched screen that never goes away. It only needs to happen once to ruin your day. As always, YMMV.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Apologies OP, I didn't mean to take your thread off topic. Thanks for mentioning the blocked microphone.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Apologies OP, I didn't mean to take your thread off topic. Thanks for mentioning the blocked microphone.
    Well, you certainly practice what you preach (in your signature: "Please be respectful.")! Honestly, I like having a screen protector on my devices more for there anti-glare/fingerprint properties, than fear of scratching.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Had an interested experience yesterday that I am going to share with Razr Maxx users, as a warning when choosing a screen protector. I bought mine at a Verizon store in the Mall in Kennesaw, Georgia. It was a Professional ScreenGuard made for the Razr. I was told that it would also fit the Maxx. The next day I found that I could hear my callers fine, but the person I was trying to talk to couldn't hear me! I called Verizon tech support, they told me to take my phone to a Verizon store, it was probably a defective speaker. When I took it to the Verizon store, the first thing they asked was where I bought the screen protector. I found that this "killer screen protector" was, in fact, covering (killing) the microphone! The mic is a hole located in the lower left of the glass, so if you buy a screen protector for your Maxx, make sure there is a hole or slot that allows the mic hole to be clear.
    Thanks for the tip! I noticed mine is covered up! Must fix that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cece5702 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I noticed mine is covered up! Must fix that.

Curious, can you be heard with it covered, I couldn't! It's an easy fix, just cut out a slot with an xacto knife or cut it out with a scissor.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Curious, can you be heard with it covered, I couldn't! It's an easy fix, just cut out a slot with an xacto knife or cut it out with a scissor.
    I didn't have any issues with people hearing me before but I still fixed it just in case.

Links