DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need smart action help

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD

Need smart action help

I'm trying to set up a smart action to turn on wifi when I'm at work or home. After I do the location "trigger", the wifi is greyed out in "actions". If I do the wifi "action" first, then location is greyed out in "trigger". I've read where other people have set up this same smart action. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx - Stock
    I believe you have to select the wifi you are triggering with. You should have to select it first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Droid Razr Maxx, - Stock.
    It keeps going, and going, and going
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    RazrMaxx/Droid1(retired)/dinc2
    You may want to try this from Verizon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...zw.wificonnect

----posted maxx'ed out----
    FoxKat likes this.

new server if any of my links are dead notify me, I got new links!
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelman52 View Post
    I'm trying to set up a smart action to turn on wifi when I'm at work or home. After I do the location "trigger", the wifi is greyed out in "actions". If I do the wifi "action" first, then location is greyed out in "trigger". I've read where other people have set up this same smart action. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx
    The problem is that Smart Actions uses WIFI as a necessary part of its Location services, in order to determine where you are. By telling it to "turn on WIFI when I am here", it is saying "I don't know where here is, because I need WIFI to tell". The same happens in reverse. It's like telling someone to turn on the light switch in a dark room, and they say they need light to find the switch. One can't happen until the other has, but since both need the other to work, neither can work unless both are working. We call that a "catch 22".

From Motorola's website (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...l/a_id/72041):

Connections

If you have rules that use Location or Wi-Fi connection triggers, the rules will not activate when Location settings or Wi-Fi power are turned off.

The suggestion from thaDroidz (below) is exactly what I use. Verizon WIFI Auto-on is an excellent app, it uses the Cellular towers to triangulate your location and then can turn on WIFI when you are in locations you have identified as having available WIFI. When you leave the location, the WIFI Auto-on app turns WIFI back off to conserve battery power.

This can also be used in combination with other location based Smart Actions, by simply faking the location as having WIFI. For instance, suppose I need my phone to shut down the ringer and switch to vibrate when I go to meetings at the "corporate headquarters". Even if WIFI isn't available at "corporate" I use the WIFI Auto-on to turn on WIFI when I am there, and then use Smart Actions Location trigger to turn ringer to vibrate. When I leave, Smart Actions will see I've left the building and switch my ringer back on, then WIFI Auto-on turns WIFI off as I'm driving out of the parking lot.

Of course, you could also use a meeting time and date as the trigger for the sound settings, but the explanation was simply for proof of concept.

Quote Originally Posted by thaDroidz View Post
    You may want to try this from Verizon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...zw.wificonnect

----posted maxx'ed out----
    Last edited by FoxKat; 03-08-2012 at 07:39 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I chose to use my wifi as the trigger for home and a time frame as the trigger for work. Its a work around so I didn't need to use a location service and also because i have a set schedule. If you are bouncing back and forth this might not work because the time frame will take priority. For this you will have to delete the location trigger for work so the wifi is not greyed out and can be chosen.

Gotta love options... ROCK ON RAZR

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
    I chose to use my wifi as the trigger for home and a time frame as the trigger for work. Its a work around so I didn't need to use a location service and also because i have a set schedule. If you are bouncing back and forth this might not work because the time frame will take priority. For this you will have to delete the location trigger for work so the wifi is not greyed out and can be chosen.

Gotta love options... ROCK ON RAZR

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums
    Using WIFI as a location trigger works well and that's what I used until I discovered the Verizon app. The nice thing about the Verizon app is that it doesn't use any additional battery-sucking resources that aren't already in use, by taking advantage of those that already are, namely the standard cellular towers. This allows me to keep WIFI off everywhere except where it'll be used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FoxKat; 03-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    I gave up on smart actions and bought tasker and like it much better. The location feature with smart actions did not work well for me. Of the three places I tried to set a location only one could find and address why a GPS spot has to have a address is beyond me. Paid the 6 bucks for tasker and am much happier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Loving the RAZR MAXX

Past phones
    Droid X Rooted and Romed
    Droid Charge Rooted
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Using WIFI as a location trigger works well and that's what I used until I discovered the Verizon app. The nice thing about the Verizon app is that it doesn't use any additional battery-sucking resources that aren't already in use, by taking advantage of those that already are, namely the standard cellular towers. This allows me to keep WIFI off everywhere except where it'll be used.

Good to know. I will give it a look. Thx
    Last edited by FoxKat; 03-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    What Verizon app are you referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by cece5702 View Post
    What Verizon app are you referring to?
    I believe this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...zw.wificonnect
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links