DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Razr Maxx battery life

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    I'm usually on 3g. I don't live in a 4g area. My battery was at 40% last night when I went to bed and at 40% this morning when I woke up. I had the phone connected to wifi and in airplane mode. I also removed a couple of widgets. I understand there are certain things I can do to increase battery life. I just don't understand why I lost 25% of battery two nights ago with the same things going on as I had on my Droid X2. My X2 never lost 25% in a night. I actually had more widgets and apps running on my X2.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtaylor77 View Post
    Why am I not getting this extra long life with my battery everyone is talking about? My last phone was a Droid X2 and it's battery performed better than my razr maxx. I got the phone 3 days ago, so I thought I may have just been using it too much. I didn't charge it last night to test this. I went to bed at 11 pm with 40% battery. I woke up at 4 am to an alert letting me know my battery was at 15%. I let the battery die down and then I charged it completely. I have barely used the phone today. I've exchanged a handful of texts and read a couple of emails and my battery is down to 60% in about 10 hours. I have less widgets running than i did on my X2 and have downloaded very few apps. My settings are the same. I can't put a finger on what may be going on. Any suggestios?
    Your Location is killing your battery. X2 was 3g phone, razr is 4g. My guess is you are in an area with weak 4g reception and phone keeps draining battery trying to hold on to 4g.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid razr maxx
    The MAXX guarantees up to 21 hours of talk time, not data surfing. The built in task manager has been great for me. There have an auto end list where you can place apps that will automatically shut off 2 minutes after the screen times out. I listed facebook and all of my video and map apps as they are data hungry. Also, if you are not in a 4g coverage area, shut off your 4g. The phone will continue to search for 4g signal although you are not in a 4g area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    Your Location is killing your battery. X2 was 3g phone, razr is 4g. My guess is you are in an area with weak 4g reception and phone keeps draining battery trying to hold on to 4g.
    I think what Xeene is suggesting is to attempt to cure this by going to menu/settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/network mode. Choose CDMA (no LTE) and it will turn 4G off. The 4G search kills battery.

When your city goes 4G, turn it back on.
    Last edited by DocsDad; 03-03-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    weatherlover1 likes this.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    I also want to thank you for the suggestions! I have a new RAZR MAXX and I am not getting the battery life I expect, either. In fact, I thought they sent me a RAZR in error so I compared them physically in the Verizon store today and yep, I have the MAXX. I have had my phone less than a week with low to moderate use. I am in a 3G area so I have turned off the 4G to see if that's the drain. Ironically that doesn't show in under "battery use".

So a naive question: when I am in a 4G area, will I still get the same sort of 4G search battery drain or is the drain occurring while it is looking for a 4G signal?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Razor Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Andielyn View Post
    I also want to thank you for the suggestions! I have a new RAZR MAXX and I am not getting the battery life I expect, either. In fact, I thought they sent me a RAZR in error so I compared them physically in the Verizon store today and yep, I have the MAXX. I have had my phone less than a week with low to moderate use. I am in a 3G area so I have turned off the 4G to see if that's the drain. Ironically that doesn't show in under "battery use".

So a naive question: when I am in a 4G area, will I still get the same sort of 4G search battery drain or is the drain occurring while it is looking for a 4G signal?
    How many hours are you getting on a charge. What kind of usage are you doing. I can get 14 hours with heavy usage and 22 hours with normal usage. All in 4G area on a single charge.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIKOTRET View Post
    How many hours are you getting on a charge. What kind of usage are you doing. I can get 14 hours with heavy usage and 22 hours with normal usage. All in 4G area on a single charge.

I was wondering this as well?? I am quite impressed with battery life so far. What are you expecting and what do you consider low to moderate use? Yesterday I talked on the phone did texts and used GPS and had 50% left when I went to bed at midnight and I was off charge at 7am. I am also in a 3G area and turned off 4G. I am home most of the day and have data and gps off unless I leave. I watched two netflix shows the day before as well as talked on the phone and again was around 60% battery by the end of the day.
    Loving the RAZR MAXX

Past phones
    Droid X Rooted and Romed
    Droid Charge Rooted
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherlover1 View Post
    I was wondering this as well?? I am quite impressed with battery life so far. What are you expecting and what do you consider low to moderate use? Yesterday I talked on the phone did texts and used GPS and had 50% left when I went to bed at midnight and I was off charge at 7am. I am also in a 3G area and turned off 4G. I am home most of the day and have data and gps off unless I leave. I watched two netflix shows the day before as well as talked on the phone and again was around 60% battery by the end of the day.
    Thanks for the replies. When I was thinking moderate use, I downloaded a few apps but not much app activity, a few phone calls, texts, checked/sent a few emails, etc. The first full day with a full charge I spent a good bit of time playing with it and familiarizing myself with it so I had my display on a good bit. I was down to under 30% by bed, and I didn't expect it to be that low. Yesterday early evening I checked the battery usage, and phone calls were ~40% of my power consumption and I had a total talk time of 38 minutes (and the battery was currently at 40%). I haven't crunched the numbers yet but that just off the cuff seems a little low. I think of heavy usage and video, gaming, etc.

Right now I'm at 70% with 43% being display (3.5 hours) total time on battery ~11 hrs. WiFi 17%, OS 17%, and haven't really used it for anything today except standby.

I don't feel I've really pushed it yet so I'm curious. Other than figuring out the battery issue, I LOVE this phone! This is actually my first smartphone and I have been watching the market for awhile but when the RAZR MAXX came out and Verizon had the Leap Day sale (plus double data, etc.) I knew it was time to act, even though 4G is not in my area yet. I do realize that I'm not going to get battery life I'm used to from a basic cell phone, so I'm not expecting that.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

edited: I should say I JUST turned off the 4G after reading that suggestion in this thread, not that I had turned it off previously.
    Last edited by Andielyn; 03-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Andielyn View Post

Right now I'm at 70% with 43% being display (3.5 hours) total time on battery ~11 hrs. WiFi 17%, OS 17%, and haven't really used it for anything today except standby.
    Well right now 3:30pm EST been off charger sense 7am. I have 75% battery. Voice calls 44%(1hr) OS 21% wi-fi 10% display 6%(46 mn). I keep my display at the lowest setting not for battery conservation just because I still think its to bright. So really that is not to bad 3.5 hr of display is quite a while. The first day I got mine I had the display on for 5 or 6 hrs and by the time I went to bed it was down to 30% and it was off a full charge around noon that day and I plugged it in around midnight.

Have you set up any smart settings like turning your cell data off when your on Wi fi at home and keeping the GPS off as well?
    Loving the RAZR MAXX

Past phones
    Droid X Rooted and Romed
    Droid Charge Rooted
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links