DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depressions/waviness in kevlar backing due to heat?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Depressions/waviness in kevlar backing due to heat?

I did not notice this on my RAZR, but I realized that the back of my RAZR Maxx has some waviness to it--more pronounced at the top, but it also can be felt by the center portion of the kevlar backing.

I don't recall feeling that when I first got the phone. However, the phone's back did get pretty warm several times--I'm thinking that was the cause for this.

You can see a little bit of the waviness due to the shadows in the pictures. The curve towards the top of the phone is the most apparent.

Are your Maxx's like this as well?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Depressions/waviness in kevlar backing due to heat?-2012-01-28_23-01-56_531.jpg   Depressions/waviness in kevlar backing due to heat?-2012-01-28_23-00-02_20.jpg  
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    I did not notice this on my RAZR, but I realized that the back of my RAZR Maxx has some waviness to it--more pronounced at the top, but it also can be felt by the center portion of the kevlar backing.

I don't recall feeling that when I first got the phone. However, the phone's back did get pretty warm several times--I'm thinking that was the cause for this.

You can see a little bit of the waviness due to the shadows in the pictures. The curve towards the top of the phone is the most apparent.

Are your Maxx's like this as well?
    It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar. The battery is a soft pack meaning it doesn't have a metal or hard plastic shell, making it somewhat flexible and more easily damage by heat and puncture. The Kevlar sheet is also thin and flexible which is why they affixed it to the battery with double-sided tape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Last edited by FoxKat; 01-29-2012 at 12:39 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid motorola
    i was going to bring it up too i could feel it when i was holding it.

looks like it's a characteristic but not an issue,,,according to foxkat. thx, fk.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Moto Razr
    [QUOTE=FoxKat;1992725]It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar.

If the Kevlar is affixed to the Kevlar, the battery is connected to the.....??
    Sorry, couldn't help it..

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Mine doesn't have any waveyness in the back, it gets warm but never hot.

Kevlar isn't really the best material for a back cover. I think they should have used carbon fiber. If you've seen the disassemble video you can see how floppy the back cover is.

What I'm curious about is the back it seems to be shiny, like it has a film over it. I don't want to start picking at it, but it bugs me. Does it have a film and can one remove it without damaging the back? It's kinda a dumb thing to worry about since I use a case, but there you go.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    it's probably just the imprint from the large battery
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnytheK View Post
    Mine doesn't have any waveyness in the back, it gets warm but never hot.

Kevlar isn't really the best material for a back cover. I think they should have used carbon fiber. If you've seen the disassemble video you can see how floppy the back cover is.

What I'm curious about is the back it seems to be shiny, like it has a film over it. I don't want to start picking at it, but it bugs me. Does it have a film and can one remove it without damaging the back? It's kinda a dumb thing to worry about since I use a case, but there you go.

There IS a protection film that is applied onto the Kevlar from the factory and is meant to be peeled off once you purchase it. Perhaps that's what you see and it's slipped a little bit causing ripples.

Also, Carbon Fiber at those thicknesses is not as strong as you might think. First, it would have to be sealed in epoxy (such as in car parts) which makes it rigid and protects the fibers from scuffs and scrapes which would fray it, but once hardened it then becomes susceptible to cracking.

Last edited by FoxKat; 01-29-2012 at 03:16 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    There IS a protection film that is applied onto the Kevlar from the factory and is meant to be peeled off once you purchase it. Perhaps that's what you see and it's slipped a little bit causing ripples.

Also, Carbon Fiber at those thicknesses is not as strong as you might think. First, it would have to be sealed in epoxy (such as in car parts) which makes it rigid and protects the fibers from scuffs and scrapes which would fray it, but once hardened it then becomes susceptible to cracking.

I just got my Droid Razr today, and I'm noticing something similar. The back is starting to bubble, but it does look like a standard protective film that they put over any new electronic. What concerns me is that the standard phone ID information stickers are on this protective film. I think that usually gets applied behind the battery, but because of the design, it would be a big inconvenience to do. So, if I remove it, am I going to have problems if I have to take it in for some reason?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Yeah it is a clear film and with a little care it can be removed. To keep those stickers ID numbers etc. I stuck it to a bit of card stock and hung on the refrigerator.

10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    [QUOTE=rjeatkrconley;1992749]
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar.

If the Kevlar is affixed to the Kevlar, the battery is connected to the.....??
    Sorry, couldn't help it..

Oops...my bad. Kevlar affixed to the battery.

"Professor FoxKat"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links