DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Maxx HD camera... is it realy that bad?

1. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambrown View Post
    I'm not a Razr HD owner, but my anecdotal experiments yeilded decent photos, and the shutter seemed pretty snappy. It's certainly not the best camera on the market, but it's also not the worst. For a top of the line phone the camera doesn't quite match the best from Samsung and HTC (I have no experience with Sony or LG smartphones but some of their cameras get good ratings) however, the Razr will definitely outperform the cameras on most lower end budget smartphones, and it will blow flip phone cameras out of the water.

In low light situations it might be helpful to try and get the flash going, and you can always download a third party camera app to squeeze more oompf out of your smartphone, but unless your dad is a shutterbug I doubt he'll notice really negative problems with the phone. But if camera is your number one priority the Droid DNA is set to be out on the 21st of this month and it has the superb camera of the One X on it. So you may want to check the other options as well. But ultimately I'm a fan of Motorola hardware and I feel they make great phones. And even though the camera may not kill the iPhone, the Galaxy S3, or the One X (DNA), it's still a better camera then what you had two years ago.

I do wish that Motorola would sep up their game on the camera, and then it would be no contest which phone to buy, but overall the camera passes.
    The sad thing is that it's really not all that much better. The camera hardware remains largely unchanged from the hardware in the Droid X. For whatever reason, Motorola has just been content to coast by on hardware that they deem good enough and tinker with slight improvements in the software.

Good pictures can be taken with the camera on the MAXX HD. The various shots users here have taken provide excellent examples of that. And it's definitely a better performer than most low range to mid range devices out there. It's just disappointing that Motorola hasn't seen the need to jump into the big leagues on this front with Samsung, HTC, and Apple. I'm really hoping they get their act together next year when Google's influence will start being directly felt in the devices that get released.
    geoff5093 likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid X

Re: Maxx HD camera... is it realy that bad?

I think it takes good pics, to get the most out of it you just have to be aware of your environment and adjust the exposure accordingly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx HD
    I don't really care about the camera on a cellphone since I have a ton of camera gear already but it's nice to have for quick shots, though with an eyefi card you almost eliminate the advantage of a cellphone camera.

Anyways I will say compared to my other phones the Motorola camera is not terrible, it's not great though. In low light it's pretty much unusable and if you pixel peep you're sure to find noise but as a camera for quick shots for Facebook or something where it will be down-rezzed it's pretty good.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by niXerKG View Post
    I don't really care about the camera on a cellphone since I have a ton of camera gear already but it's nice to have for quick shots, though with an eyefi card you almost eliminate the advantage of a cellphone camera.
    Even with the EyeFi you still need to lug around your camera gear. When I go into the city I very rarely bring my DSLR, it's bulky, and a prime target for thieves.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    The thing about Motorola vs some other manufactures.....they have different fields of importance. For Moto, its reception, phone features. I will even say battery life. For others...its multi media features. It is what it is....there are folks that have switched to and away from Moto for these reasons.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Even with the EyeFi you still need to lug around your camera gear. When I go into the city I very rarely bring my DSLR, it's bulky, and a prime target for thieves.
    I lug my camera gear around with me everywhere anyways which is why I don't mind that the camera is not the greatest and to be honest with how small the sensor is on the camera I'm actually impressed it manages to do what it does but I'd rather carry a little bit more weight and have to tether to my phone for the image quality over having a better/pricier camera built into my phone.

But anyways the phone camera does shine in sun light and like I said if you are doing small pictures for web, it isn't half bad, of course once you see the larger version :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxx HD camera... is it realy that bad?-img_20121121_241259_279.jpg  
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by niXerKG View Post
    I lug my camera gear around with me everywhere anyways which is why I don't mind that the camera is not the greatest and to be honest with how small the sensor is on the camera I'm actually impressed it manages to do what it does but I'd rather carry a little bit more weight and have to tether to my phone for the image quality over having a better/pricier camera built into my phone.

But anyways the phone camera does shine in sun light and like I said if you are doing small pictures for web, it isn't half bad, of course once you see the larger version :
    Ah, see I have a Canon 7D so it's much larger, if I had a point and shoot it would be a lot more manageable.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Ah, see I have a Canon 7D so it's much larger, if I had a point and shoot it would be a lot more manageable.
    I carry my Nikon D3 around everywhere which is bulky for quick shots which is why I bought the P7700 above.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: Maxx HD camera... is it realy that bad?

It's better then the Samsung fascinate camera and htc rhyme. Probably on par with droid charge. That's based on my experience with those phones.

Sent from my MAXX HD.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    I don't care what it is, when it has an LCD screen, it makes it better.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links