DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Upgraded and Kept my Unlimited Plan

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

costco

Was just at my local Costco. Rep there said no problem, upgrade wifes sp with s3 then switch it to my unlimited with no probs. $197 out the door and verizon will bill me the $30 activation fee. Going to wait until my D3 dies completely though.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaxx

Has anyone else done this with Amazon? I'm in this same situation...multiple lines on family plan. 2 unlimited, 2 tiered. Want to transfer unlimited upgrade to a tiered line, buy $199 Maxx HD from Amazon and then transfer phone back to my unlimited line. Totally get I could do this through Verizon, but looking to save the $100 and buy phone through Amazon. And clearly need to avoid Amazon's ETFs. Based on the post above I order phone under tiered number, but actually activate it on my unlimited line when I receive it...anyone else confirm this works? THANKS
    It is a risk you take. At any point in the 6 months Amazon can check to see if the phone remained on the line that was upgraded and decide to charge you the etf fee if it is not. Some have lucked out, others have not. Costco and best buy does not have this same policy and allow you to put your phone on any line you choose.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    I just upgraded at a Verizon store.....The lady tried everything in her power to keep my unlimited data....i no longer have unlimited data.
    RAZR M
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    My luck I'll get stuck with the etf and somehow lose my ULP. Best to pay the extra $100 now and move on. Thanks for the clarification.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimino View Post
    I just upgraded at a Verizon store.....The lady tried everything in her power to keep my unlimited data....i no longer have unlimited data.
    Did you have another line with a dumbphone on it? If so did you try to buy the new smartphone on that line and then switch it as has been described in this thread?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimino View Post
    Did you pay full price? If not, then you had to be switched to tiered data.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    My upgrade and retention went like this; I went in having one of my four lines eligible for upgrade. I told the guy at Best Buy that I wanted the SIII, he got it and set it up. I paid for the phone ($45 after my iPhone 4 trade in). I walked around and looked for a router, came back and told the same guy that I changed my
    mind and wanted to switch phone to my primary account number. Voila' done deal.

I was told by the guy that as long as your primary phone instrument isn't UPGRADED you keep your unlimited. I didn't upgrade it I just swapped phones between nunumbers. He even called Verizon to swap the phones between numbers and didn't get any resistance. All I know for sure is that it worked.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by drzcharlie View Post
    My upgrade and retention went like this; I went in having one of my four lines eligible for upgrade. I told the guy at Best Buy that I wanted the SIII, he got it and set it up. I paid for the phone ($45 after my iPhone 4 trade in). I walked around and looked for a router, came back and told the same guy that I changed my
    mind and wanted to switch phone to my primary account number. Voila' done deal.

I was told by the guy that as long as your primary phone instrument isn't UPGRADED you keep your unlimited. I didn't upgrade it I just swapped phones between nunumbers. He even called Verizon to swap the phones between numbers and didn't get any resistance. All I know for sure is that it worked.
    That will work, but the line you used the upgrade on would no longer have unlimited data.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    That will work, but the line you used the upgrade on would no longer have unlimited data.
    Of course if you are able do that on a line that has a dumb phone the data is unimportant anyway.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    I am going to try this when I upgrade soon. i was going to get the phone though Amazon to save $100 but keeping the unlimited data may prove useful. I however have not used over 0.5 GB in the last few months on my DI2 which is 3G. I find it hard to believe that I would even hit 2 GB with 4G but we'll see. I'd rather just keep it if I can no problem but that may mean I would have to spend the extra $100. That to me isn't really worth it just to keep unlimited instead of 2 GB. But I just looked at Radioshack's prices and they are the same as Amazon. What I'm not sure of though is whether or not I could get those prices in the store or if they are online only. Plus, I called yesterday and the guy told me they don't have the Maxx HD (or the 32 GB Galaxy S3 which I am considering). So unless he was wrong or they got it in (or will by tomorrow) and I can get those prices in store, then it looks like I would pay $300 for Maxx HD no matter where I go to keep unlimited or wait a few days and get it for $200 from Amazon and lose my unlimited. I also need to compare the current pricing with a Share Everything plan. It may be worth it to go with that. We may even add in a jetpack to use as our second home's internet connection since we don't have one there yet but will soon. At $20 a month for a jetpack, that may work, although I'd have to see what the data usage of it would be, depending on what normal usage of a computer is and how often we are there. Guess I better start crunching some numbers. Good to know that it is possible to keep unlimited though!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Links