DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: So I checked out the MAXX HD and the HD today.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Tbolt
    I used a maxx hd in the store today, and i agree the screen did not look great at all. I pulled out my droid 4, and held it next to it, and i thought my screen looked better, and the droid 4 I used to think looked horrible! I can not tell why the maxx hd screen looked worse, it just did, hard to describe I guess.

Another thing, it felt really cheap in my hand and plastic like. All the reviews talk about how robust it feels. I was wondering, do the demo unit in the stores with all the cords and security crap attached to it, do they not have the battery in it? Maybe without the battery it made it feel so cheap. I wasn't sure and the store was closing. I was going to buy one out right for my business, but I left really disappointed and with my droid 4
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything

Re: So I checked out the MAXX HD and the HD today.

Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post
    Two things stood out in my mind.

Frankly, I found the white RAZR HD to be not only more attractive than the MAXX HD, but more attractive than every other phone up on display. It just had a beautiful, quite ephemeral appearance about it.

It was like looking at my own MAXX's screen and I didn't understand that. I could see how the PenTile was less apparent due to the higher resolution but the black levels seemed off and it had the look of an absolute fingerprint magnet. Compared to the RAZR HD, where the screen looked absolutely gorgeous like the online reviews. A closer looked revealed what seemed to be thicker glass or at least raised glass on the MAXX HD that wasn't there on the RAZR HD. Can anyone confirm this? Because if that's the case then it means the visibility factor would be off on the MAXX HD, and I'd rather they made it that extra millimeter thick so that the distance to the LCD wasn't so large. But maybe I'm seeing things.

I'm going down tomorrow to get the MAXX HD because, unfortunately for me, the battery life is an absolute requirement for my heavy-Hotspot-using self, and while my MAXX is still chugging along, there are things that annoy me about it that I'm hoping have been resolved with the newer model - namely, the 4G dropouts that randomly happen when using hotspot for an extended period, and the Bluetooth inconsistency.
    Ok..it's not pentile..you might want to check..but they said it wouldn't be..better not be..lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

it's pentile

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Tbolt
    Can anyone confirm who has one, does it feel as solid as the droid 4? I know its not apples to apples, but just curious. My droid 4 I want to upgrade to a maxx HD, but like i said the store model I held felt like half the phone my droid 4 is in build quality.

Thanks!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    The screen on the RAZR HD and the screen on the RAZR MAXX HD are 100% identical. The only differences between the two devices are the battery and the back casing. There's no difference in the screens or in the glass. Perhaps the brightness settings of the two weren't the same, the external lighting was hitting the devices from different angles, or there was a combination of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post
    Brightness was the same, but what I was seeing was a difference in the transparency of the glass, or at least, perceived transparency.

With the white it has the same bezel, but the glass is fully transparent, and against the white you can't tell it's there.

With the black, both for the MAXX HD and RAZR HD, it just looks "off". Reminds me of a skinny Droid BIONIC. Same bezeling with the frame. It irritated me so much I couldn't put it into words.
    To agree with both of you...sort of, yes the screens are identical, and they both sport Gorilla Glass, but there are likely different supplier locations for Gorilla Glass, made in different plants and so there can be differences in both transparency and reflective as well as refractive qualities. I know this for a fact since I've had 4 different OG Droids, 3 different Droid 2s, 5 Droid RAZRs and currently have a Droid RAZR MAXX, while my wife has had 2 different OG Droids and 2 different Droid RAZRs. There are considerable differences between 3 versions of the glass that I've found. Some have a thicker "profile" with a sharp beveled edge, some have a thinner profile with rounded edges, and in at least one phone I've had the glass was thin with a scalloped bevel on the edges.

The thicker glass resulted in what appeared to be a higher contrast ratio, darker darks and just an overall crisper view. The thinner glass in both "types" were much less "impacting" and seemed to almost blur the image slightly. I have a similar experience with a wood stove I have in my home, where the glass on one door broke a year ago. The remaining glass on the other door is still original and is clear and sharp as a tack. The view through it has absolutely no distortion. In the door where I replaced the glass, things look slightly out of focus through the glass on that side. Seeing them both side by side it's unmistakable.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Driod Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by serial View Post
    Can anyone confirm who has one, does it feel as solid as the droid 4? I know its not apples to apples, but just curious. My droid 4 I want to upgrade to a maxx HD, but like i said the store model I held felt like half the phone my droid 4 is in build quality.

Thanks!
    I just upgraded from My Bionic last week to the Maxx Hd and I'm very Impressed with this Device. The battery life lives up to it and im on my phone all the time, only thing im not liking and Im sure ill get used to is the 3 keys at the bottom!! I had a Droid 4 for a month and really was diging that keybord but i thought the screen was to small .
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    XT1080M
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    To agree with both of you...sort of, yes the screens are identical, and they both sport Gorilla Glass, but there are likely different supplier locations for Gorilla Glass, made in different plants and so there can be differences in both transparency and reflective as well as refractive qualities. I know this for a fact since I've had 4 different OG Droids, 3 different Droid 2s, 5 Droid RAZRs and currently have a Droid RAZR MAXX, while my wife has had 2 different OG Droids and 2 different Droid RAZRs. There are considerable differences between 3 versions of the glass that I've found. Some have a thicker "profile" with a sharp beveled edge, some have a thinner profile with rounded edges, and in at least one phone I've had the glass was thin with a scalloped bevel on the edges.

The thicker glass resulted in what appeared to be a higher contrast ratio, darker darks and just an overall crisper view. The thinner glass in both "types" were much less "impacting" and seemed to almost blur the image slightly. I have a similar experience with a wood stove I have in my home, where the glass on one door broke a year ago. The remaining glass on the other door is still original and is clear and sharp as a tack. The view through it has absolutely no distortion. In the door where I replaced the glass, things look slightly out of focus through the glass on that side. Seeing them both side by side it's unmistakable.
    Wonder if it is the Gorilla Glass 2?

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | INNOVATING WITH GORILLA

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/s...20b_050912.pdf

New Corning Gorilla Glass 2

New Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2 is now up to 20 percent thinner, enabling slimmer devices, better touch responsiveness, and brighter images without sacrificing the damage resistance consumers demand. The result is superior design flexibility for electronics manufacturers as they develop high performing, touch sensitive, and durable mobile devices.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

it is pentile. There is no sub 5 inch Super Amoled HD phone on the market that is RGB. Samsung produces all Super Amoled displays and it's not on their own flagship the GS3. The Galaxy Note 2 that has a special RGB matrix.
    Please provide your source for your claim if you are going to contradict countless reviews.

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by WestOkid View Post
    it is pentile. There is no sub 5 inch Super Amoled HD phone on the market that is RGB. Samsung produces all Super Amoled displays and it's not on their own flagship the GS3. The Galaxy Note 2 that has a special RGB matrix.
    Please provide your source for your claim if you are going to contradict countless reviews.

I was looking at Note 2 reviews and forgot this was the MAXX HD forums, lol. You're correct, the MAXX HD is pentile, however the Note 2 is not.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

lol. It's all good. I thought you were being a... ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links