Great thread guys. Came across this last night while researching the GS3 vs Maxx HD question and spent an hour reading all 28 pages. Here's a quick summary of my issues/questions. Please chime in and let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything and what you'd suggest based on my situation.
1) I have the Fascinate (original Galaxy S), and have been pleased although it is now a complete dog and badly in need of replacement. Verizon/Samsung killed this phone early with some bad updates that killed battery life. I'm worried this might happen to me again. Should I be concerned?
2) I travel internationally and the Galaxy S is not supported in most countries in Europe. I'm assuming the US version of the GS3 is the same (not a true global phone). My phone does work fine in China, Mexico, and Canada which is where I travel most. It would be nice to have my phone for the once or twice a year trip to Europe, which has me leaning toward the Maxx HD and it's GSM support. Although I could have my company give me another phone to use for these trips.
3) The Maxx HD bothers me with the on-screen buttons. They turn that nice 4.7" screen into a 4.3ish" screen when browsing the web. Advantage GS3, correct?
4) Battery life: I'm a light user (around 400MB a month). Clearly Maxx HD is better here, but the only times I heavily use the phone is on the 16 hour flight to China watching movies. I pack a couple of spare batteries now and could do that as well with the GS3. Two pack of highly rated Anker batteries with wall charger on Amazon for 20 bucks. With 3 batteries on a flight that long I'd probably get more time with the GS3 than I would with a sealed Maxx HD.
5) Memory and RAM: I could put plenty of music and movies on a 64GB card for the GS3. Although 32GB for the Maxx HD is not bad, and it sounds from my reading like 64GB card will work on Maxx HD. For what I do I can't imagine 1GB RAM would cause issues, although that extra gig would seem to make my phone more likely to perform for 2 years.
6) HDMI out: This is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the Maxx HD. Makes it real simple to plug in to the hotel TV when travelling. Though I'm guessing I could get a cable for the GS3, just not HDMI, correct?
7) Screen crack issue: Heard some rumors about this issue on the GS3. Is it covered under warranty if it happens in the first year? Anyone have this issue? I don't use a phone without a case, and even with Gorilla Glass I use a screen protector. Both do have Gorilla Glass, correct?
8) Gyroscope: I've read a lot that this gives the advantage to the GS3 since the Maxx HD lacks one. I'm not even sure I would notice this. Not a gamer. Thoughts?
9) Price: $75 on Amazon for the upgrade GS3, 16GB. $175 for the Maxx HD, 32GB. With the spare battery purchase and 64GB card purchase I'm still at under $140 for the GS3. The 32GB version of the GS3 is the same $175. Is there any advantage to having more memory on board?
Sorry for the lengthy post, but any feedback is much appreciated!