DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 181 of 187 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1869
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Droid Razr Maxx HD waiting lounge.

1. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmguy View Post
    The HD also supports S GPS. Which means if you have a maps app that doesn't require network signal you can still track your route. S GPS doesn't require any cellular or wifi assistance to know where the sats are. The Bionic had this then it was removed in the RAZR line now added back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    S-GPS isn't the ability to find satellites and use GPS without a data connection. Every standalone GPS chip can do that (it's how the technology was designed to work by the military and how Garmins and Tom-Toms have operated for years). S-GPS (Simultaneous GPS) is the ability to receive both GPS and cellular signals at the same time. For most devices that aren't S-GPS capable, the cellular reception and GPS reception alternate back and forth, with both not actually running at the same time because they share the same RF radio. With S-GPS, they can both run at the same time, allowing the phone to pull data from the cellular network as well as from the GPS signal in order to get faster and more accurate GPS locks. It's similar to A-GPS, except faster and more accurate.

But regardless of whether one has a device that is S-GPS capable or just A-GPS capable, the standalone GPS will still function and track your route without a data connection if you have an app with offline maps. S-GPS will just help you get a faster, and more accurate GPS lock when you have a cellular data connection. In and of itself, S-GPS capabilities don't help to establish a lock any faster than A-GPS capabilities when there is no network connection.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4 | Commando 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness

S-GPS isn't the ability to find satellites and use GPS without a data connection. Every standalone GPS chip can do that (it's how the technology was designed to work by the military and how Garmins and Tom-Toms have operated for years). S-GPS (Simultaneous GPS) is the ability to receive both GPS and cellular signals at the same time. For most devices that aren't S-GPS capable, the cellular reception and GPS reception alternate back and forth, with both not actually running at the same time because they share the same RF radio. With S-GPS, they can both run at the same time, allowing the phone to pull data from the cellular network as well as from the GPS signal in order to get faster and more accurate GPS locks. It's similar to A-GPS, except faster and more accurate.

But regardless of whether one has a device that is S-GPS capable or just A-GPS capable, the standalone GPS will still function and track your route without a data connection if you have an app with offline maps. S-GPS will just help you get a faster, and more accurate GPS lock when you have a cellular data connection. In and of itself, S-GPS capabilities don't help to establish a lock any faster than A-GPS capabilities when there is no network connection.
    I stand corrected. Thank you for explaining.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Thanks bsweetness. That totally makes sense...and once again, I learned something new. Cool!
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    SumanjiWorld
    Phone
    Nexus S (i9020T)
    Hey,

Verizon-noob here. Sorry if I'm missing something, but can I just walk into a Verizon store with $600, buy this device only, and then walk out with it? Or do I need to take some sort of plan also?!

Cheers,

Su
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
    Hey,

Verizon-noob here. Sorry if I'm missing something, but can I just walk into a Verizon store with $600, buy this device only, and then walk out with it? Or do I need to take some sort of plan also?!

Cheers,

Su
    You should be able to buy the device with out a plan.
  6. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Phone
    droid MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji
    Hey,

Cheers,

Su
    It take slightly more than 600, they're $649 plus tax. And yes you can.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
    Hey,

Cheers,

Su
    That is exactly what I did approx 5hrs ago.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    SumanjiWorld
    Phone
    Nexus S (i9020T)
    Ah ok thank God - I was just playing around on the website, and it's like $80/month for a 300MB data plan??!

I pay 12.50 (~$20) a month for 300 mins / unltd. texts / 3GB data on T-Mobile 3G.

American cell phone costs are ridiculous!!!

[edit] Also, don't get me started on how your sales tax is "ninja-added" at the checkout
  9. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Phone
    droid MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji
    Ah ok thank God - I was just playing around on the website, and it's like $80/month for a 300MB data plan??!

I pay 12.50 (~$20) a month for 300 mins / unltd. texts / 3GB data on T-Mobile 3G.

American cell phone costs are ridiculous!!!

[edit] Also, don't get me started on how your sales tax is "ninja-added" at the checkout
    If I'm not mistaken 300 mb plans are only for feature phones, smart phones I believe the minimum is 2 gigs, that equates to 110 a month whether you paid cash for your phone or have it subsidized through verizon. Yes we pay more for our phones than anywhere else here on mother earth.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    SumanjiWorld
    Phone
    Nexus S (i9020T)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    that equates to 110 a month whether you paid cash for your phone or have it subsidized through verizon. Yes we pay more for our phones than anywhere else here on mother earth.
    Whaaaaaat??!

Please tell me at least that the network is flawless and the data speeds are brilliant?!

Links