DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yes, I've done a search, about 4 hours worth but still need help or confirmation.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenica View Post

On a side note, when sending a picture in an email, having opened the email client by way of the picture send option, is it normal that only
    the FROM field has the indicator in the bottom right allowing me to select which account? The TO field has no such indicator allowing me to
    access the contact list forcing me to manually type the email address.
    Unfortunately you aren't going to like this answer either. Ran some tests on gmail, hotmail, and ymail - in the synced email setup none of them had the dropdown for contacts, either by accessing from a picture or from the synced account. In each of the apps, only the ymail app actually had a dropdown for contacts. Sorry, such a shame hearing a convert from iOS might wanna go back
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    I agree about never using the feature. It is invasive that it is thrown at us. I am wondering if it needs to be disabled in setup because I don't have the option to sync. I will explore further and see what I discover. The selecting from which account is only so you can choose which email address you would like to use. In the TO field, if you start to type the recipient's contact name, it should give you a drop down of possible contacts.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums
    I just tried and even after typing a few characters of a known email address (in my contact list), no drop down presented itself.

Given we just had our first child, this might be a deal breaker as I am accustomed to rapidly sending pictures right from the photo
    gallery. This works best as I am usually in there filtering out the images that did not come out well

It was how it was perceived which the op had also addressed. And again, as your above post is also derogatory, I will ask you to be respectful and refrain from the nasty comments. So far you have been a valuable member offering helpful information which is much appreciated. You have also sought help on this forum and solutions were respectfully and patiently provided. All members deserve the same respect.

I also took it as derogatory or maliferous but chose to ignore it as I find that when I am new to a forum, there is always one that feels my query is superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by buldog View Post
    Unfortunately you aren't going to like this answer either. Ran some tests on gmail, hotmail, and ymail - in the synced email setup none of them had the dropdown for contacts, either by accessing from a picture or from the synced account. In each of the apps, only the ymail app actually had a dropdown for contacts. Sorry, such a shame hearing a convert from iOS might wanna go back
    This does not bode well for my continued use of this phone...while I do like the over all feel and the futuristic way in which apps are swiped and moved around, like moving off the screen to delete
    or having one page of apps fade in/out as you move the top page away but I will need a solution for sending emails quickly and efficiently with picture attachments.

This is provided I can resolve the Yahoo! mail issue.
    Last edited by Zenica; 12-11-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I wonder if there is a defect with the phone. I tried in my Gmail, stock email that has a hotmail address and aqua mail which has my Yahoo email address. All of them give me a drop down after I type two letters.

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenica View Post

I just tried and even after typing a few characters of a known email address (in my contact list), no drop down presented itself.

Given we just had our first child, this might be a deal breaker as I am accustomed to rapidly sending pictures right from the photo
    gallery. This works best as I am usually in there filtering out the images that did not come out well
    So does this mean you got some sort of email working? Wondering if there is some underlying issue with your specific device. Also, are the email addresses in your phones contact list or contacts from your email account? I have never synced addresses from my actual email account and believe when you just type in a name/email address it pulls from your phones contacts.
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    This may or may not be the secret for back up assistant (bua). Go into the phone's settings, to the setup wizard and uncheck bua plus. Then in settings in the accounts section, go to bua plus and look to see if the sync icon is greyed out.

6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by buldog View Post

So does this mean you got some sort of email working? Wondering if there is some underlying issue with your specific device. Also, are the email addresses in your phones contact list or contacts from your email account? I have never synced addresses from my actual email account and believe when you just type in a name/email address it pulls from your phones contacts.
    Thanks buldog for that clarification... the email address needs to be saved in the phone contacts. Not sure if it works if the email account is synced because I only sync my Gmail account.

7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Folks, I'm coming in late here, and haven't read through the full thread yet. I did have to do some "housekeeping" in this thread, first. I think you all know what I meant. Give me a few and let me see if I can sort it out. I also use Yahoo, my wife's email is on Yahoo, and we both use the Yahoo email app on her RAZR and my RAZR MAXX. We've both had no problems with it, but there has to be a simple explanation for what you are experiencing. It seems to me that both K9 and the resident eMail app should also work fine.

I surely understand your frustration and if I were in your shoes I'd feel like you do. Please let me assure you that we'll get this resolved. TisMyDroid is an EXCELLENT support staff, a true representative of what we're all about. There are however times when she knows or can figure out the answer when I don't know it, and perhaps this is a case where I may be able to figure it out. Either way, we will resolve this. that I am confident of.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Thanks FoxKat we can use your help.

Okay, I think I know the deal with the TO email drop down list. I think what ends up getting included in the drop down is a combination of people's email addresses you have saved in your phone and people you have emailed from your phone. I was just in my hotmail and one of the email addresses that was included in the drop down was a person I emailed recently but she is neither saved in my phone nor is she saved in my hotmail contacts.

So maybe the secret is that after you have emailed from your phone, it populates the drop down list possibilities.

9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Zenica,

Try something for me...and humor me for a moment. If you've done everything you read below, just try it again for me...step by step.

First, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE THE YMAIL APP INSTALLED!! If you do, uninstall it.
    1. Go into the stock email app, hit the menu button and choose <settings>.
    2. Then at the top right, hit the <ADD ACCOUNT> button.
    3. Choose <Other> (rather than Yahoo).
    4. Type in your email address with the full @yahoo.com (i.e. myemail@yahoo.com).
    5. Type in your password.
    6. Click <Next> (don't be surprised if it succeeds and goes to a screen that asks the frequency that it should check for email).
    7. If this is to be your defailt email account, check the box, otherwise leave blank.
    8. Decide how you want notificatons, sync, and downloads to be handled, as well as whether to sync over WIFI only.
    9. Choose <Done>
    10. On the next screen, double-check the account name, and you can change it to something more friendly rather than your email address.
    11. Choose your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing emails.
    12. Choose <Next>.
    13. Sit back and watch as your email starts coming in.

Edit, this also now gives me a drop down of known contacts for this account after typing only 2 characters.

Edit: Contacts are from MY phone's contact list...See below.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 12-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Thanks FoxKat we can use your help.

Okay, I think I know the deal with the TO email drop down list. I think what ends up getting included in the drop down is a combination of people's email addresses you have saved in your phone and people you have emailed from your phone. I was just in my hotmail and one of the email addresses that was included in the drop down was a person I emailed recently but she is neither saved in my phone nor is she saved in my hotmail contacts.

So maybe the secret is that after you have emailed from your phone, it populates the drop down list possibilities.

Actually, for my experiment, this was my wife's yahoo account and I don't have ANY of her contacts in my phone, but as soon as it started sync'ing, I could see all of her contacts as drop-downs after typing the first two characters. I typed co, and got a list of contacts that started with co, or had co in the name somewhere. I typed ch, and again contacts starting with or containing ch showed up.

CORRECTION: I was WRONG! The contacts I am seeing are ones stored in MY contacts list. Doh!
    Last edited by FoxKat; 12-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links