DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To get the M or not get the M?

Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Just got from Verizon. Good thing I left my wallet at home.

The guy was good. Answered all of my questions. He was surprised that the new Motos block app to SD since his older Droid doesn't. We checked a couple of the phones and they were all blocked out of the box. The 4g signal on all of them were comparable to my Thunderbolt in the store. I meant to make some calls to check sound quality but forgot.

He said he's not a Samsung fan (though he loves the Note that's being released tomorrow...just too big for me). He said the bulk of the phones they get back are the S3. I also looked at the DNA. It's slightly larger but considerably lighter than the TBolt and it was screaming fast with the quad-core processor. I can see how the battery life is so much better. I believe the M is a 2400 mAh batt and the DNA is 2040 or something compared to the 1400 on the TBolt. He also said the newer phones are more efficient which isn't hard to believe.

So the long and the short of it is that I think I've swung away from the M but the journey continues.

ETA: Crud. The salesman was wrong about the DNA. No SD card and only 16GB internal. My TBold SD is filled to 29GB. Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by ThatDroidGuyInJax; 11-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDroidGuyInJax View Post

The guy was good. Answered all of my questions. He was surprised that the new Motos block app to SD since his older Droid doesn't. We checked a couple of the phones and they were all blocked out of the box. The 4g signal on all of them were comparable to my Thunderbolt in the store. I meant to make some calls to check sound quality but forgot.

He said he's not a Samsung fan (though he loves the Note that's being released tomorrow...just too big for me). He said the bulk of the phones they get back are the S3. I also looked at the DNA. It's slightly larger but considerably lighter than the TBolt and it was screaming fast with the quad-core processor. I can see how the battery life is so much better. I believe the M is a 2400 mAh batt and the DNA is 2040 or something compared to the 1400 on the TBolt. He also said the newer phones are more efficient which isn't hard to believe.

So the long and the short of it is that I think I've swung away from the M but the journey continues.

ETA: Crud. The salesman was wrong about the DNA. No SD card and only 16GB internal. My TBold SD is filled to 29GB. Back to the drawing board.
    Just so you know, i was having issues with the S3, part of which was the reason I returned it.. The text messaging would completely crash about about 3 or 4 times per day, I would have to reboot the phone at least once a day in order to text,, I'm not sure how widespread that problem is, but I checked online,
    and I wasn't the only one having that problem..
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M

The 4g signal on all of them were comparable to my Thunderbolt in the store.

I also looked at the DNA. It's slightly larger but considerably lighter than the TBolt and it was screaming fast with the quad-core processor. I can see how the battery life is so much better. I believe the M is a 2400 mAh batt and the DNA is 2040 or something compared to the 1400 on the TBolt. He also said the newer phones are more efficient which isn't hard to believe.

Razr M spec battery is 2000mAh (does a very good job paired with this battery). With similar usage, I would expect 3x the in field battery life with Razr M vs. T.Bolt (longer than T.Bolt on Extended Battery too). After the push OTA of JB the battery life has gotten noticeably better than when running ICS. Worst thing about the Razr M has been reported lower radios signal quality than folks previous phone (I have had good experience with my device - there's a lot of radio and camera stuff packed into the small form factor of the M, also including DLA & NFC too).
    DNA looks like an awesome device and seems natural progression coming from a T.Bolt. (Except: SD-Card support was one of those things on my NEEDs To Have List).
    The second device I would assume would be on my a list (for a previous T.Bolt super-user) would be any of the Razr line (Razr, Maxx, HD, HD Maxx). The size profile L X W is comparable to you T.bolt & the significant weight & thickness reduction would have you feeling about your upgrade.

Also, on your radar should be:
    Razr M Developer (unlocked Bootloader from Motorola).
    Razr-i (similar to Razr M running Dual Thread 2.0ghz Intel Atom Z2480 processor - not sure about US release availability)
    64gb+ SD possibly USC-I technology (4x the spec-speed of Class 10 that I bought a couple months ago for Razr M - personally gonna wait on the USC card till value point is better)
    Last edited by Spey; 11-28-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Re: To get the M or not get the M?

Yeah, the SD support is an issue for me. I think I'm going to upgrade my wife's phone and keep looking. She's been ok with a basic phone but wants a smartphone now. The TBolt is a lot better since I flashed SkyRaider so I'm not in a huge rush on my end.

The salesman thought I'd outgrow the M fairly quickly but that could be to up-sell me on a more expensive device. It looks like locked bootloaders are the wave of future with Verizon. :-(

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    The TBolt is a lot better since I flashed SkyRaider so I'm not in a huge rush on my end.

The salesman thought I'd outgrow the M fairly quickly but that could be to up-sell me on a more expensive device. It looks like locked bootloaders are the wave of future with Verizon. :-(

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.
    Can you provide link info on SkyRaider (I'll search on my own, but interested to see first couple links that come from long-term superuser ...).

RE: looks like locked bootloaders are the wave of future with Verizon. :-(
    Motorola has been rolling our "open bootloader" phones for a little while now (ATRIX HD, RAZR M, RAZR HD - all available with unlocked bootloaders)
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/1-romgb-skyraider-zeus-13-bolt-2116055/

f
    wiw I've been very happy with SkyRaider. Not a single data drop like I was getting with the ICS leak and it's been very stable.
    Last edited by ThatDroidGuyInJax; 11-28-2012 at 07:36 PM.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Does anyone have any futher pros/cons regarding the Razr M? I currently have and HTC Incredible (original) and I'm on the verge of getting something new as the Incredible isn't so Incredible any more. I was really thinking about the Galaxy S3 but the Verizon Rep suggested that I consider the Razr M because the size. I don't use the camera much and my primary use of the phone is for voice, texting, browsing the internet, navigation and email. My main concerns are with reception, voice quality and reliability as I'm having a lot of problems with my Incredible right now. I worry each time I get a new phone as I think it's a crap shoot sometimes whether your getting a quality phone or a POS. Can someone give me more details on what I might expect?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Moondoggy - I've had the RazrM for about a month. Sounds like I use it for the same reasons you do. The call quality is excellent. Speaker is great too. Never had a problem with data signal or getting voice service in any area, but I don't travel out of my main coverage area much. I use the gmail app and the stock text message app, no problems with either. Its plenty fast and I've never had a problem with slowdowns or lag. I'm very impressed overall. I have 15 to 20 apps I've downloaded, and I have plenty of storage. And the battery is amazing, best I've had. I usually have 30% left at the end of the day with heavy usage (for me). I would say go for it. You can always return it within 14 days if it didn't work for you. Good luck!
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Same with pbdaniel, except I have over 100 apps installed and still plenty of storage for more. No problems with signal, reception, data. If it's any consolation, I gave my og Razr Maxx away because I preferred the M.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links