DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: signal issue

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

signal issue

How can I improve my signal? Is there a radio update I can download or flash or a way to force lte?
    Absolutely Loving my Galaxy S3
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    Sounds like you are only looking for reported numeric Data Signal improvement ...? Are you looking to improve wireless voice (like for phone calls - 1x) or to improve the data connection (3G / 4G). There are different antennas in the phone, and various ways to turn on/off 3G vs. 4G (like maybe someone wants to turn off 4G, using only 3G for Data and 1x for voice to conserve battery because 4G uses a lot of power and also runs in background when screen is off). If the issue is related to 4G dropping/switching to 3G (because device reported dbm reading), there a a couple different answers based on circumstances you may be experiencing (example: software change could reduce the threshold at which the OS determines 4G dbm reading is not good enough and auto switches to 3G).

Also, there is a device setting (preferred network mode) related to network connection (Global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS) that could also yield improvement based on your specific circumstances. Two Razr M's I have were both factory-default-set to Global (not best option for my circumstances).

Sorry if this reply is too basic, and/or not direct reply to your question asking for a "radio update". I have not seen any "radio updates" since the recent OS upgrade from ICS to Jelly Bean.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I am looking for getting 4g data. I switched it from global to cdma/lte and no improvement. Actually a few times I've went to 1x and had to turn on airplane mode then turn airplane mode off to get 3g back. Also sometimes that works for 4g for like 15 minutes they it goes back to 3g.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I have noticed then when i put it on wifi it tends to pickup the 4g signal. Why would it do that?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdroidman View Post
    I have noticed then when i put it on wifi it tends to pickup the 4g signal. Why would it do that?
    Not sure about that (my device WiFi overrides the data connection - data signal is still indicated, but not used when connected to WiFi).

Couple troubleshooting questions:
    1) Is the switching from 4G to 3G in an area of known strong 4G coverage?
    Keep in mind that it appears the Razr-M reports weaker signal strength than other Razr models (most likely due to the internal antenna configuration being different). So don't just assume that because a Razr Maxx, or your earlier Thunderbolt had good 4G in the same location that you should expect the same today from a different device ...

2) When your Razr-M switches from 4G to 3G do you keep your data connection, or does it get lost?
    Razr-M should be able to keep a data connection and switch between 4G & 3G.

3) At what signal level (dbm) does your 4G switch to 3G?
    This might help to determine if there is a hardware related problem or if it's possibly software related (my earlier post, 1st paragraph, last sentence).
    Also, keep in mind (my experience) how you hold the phone (where your hand is related to the antenna, and/or if the phone antenna is unobstructed) effects reported signal strength. I do not mean to use the phones reported dbm reading as a means to compare one phone against another, but if there is a consistency related to the reported dbm reading when your phone switches from 4G to 3G then there may be some valid troubleshooting that could point towards why it's happening.
    Last edited by Spey; 11-25-2012 at 12:23 AM.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    1: mediocre 4g area.
    2: keeps commectiom
    3: just went from 115 dbm 4g to 70 dbm 3g just now. It is sitting on my computer desk. Doesn't matter where I hold it when I do. I vary between 73 and 90 dbm on 3g.

There are some areas I got 3g and sometimes 4g that I now get 1x on the razr m. Only visit there 3 or 4 times a year so can't check now.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I also did notice that when I entered a strong 4g area the razr m took 5 minutes longer than my fiance's pantec breakout to go from 3g to 4g.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member

Re: signal issue

You may consider getting a new sim card.. they're free..

But also, I've noticed a flux in service in my area.. where I had 4g, now I have 3g.. and I even lose 3g at times.. perhaps vzw is tweaking their network.?
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I just bought the phone wednesday at best buy for free. If it is not the sim card (I live far away from a corporate store and the local premium retailercharges $10 for a new sim) then what can I do to fix the problem? Is this a known issue that will be fixed?
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    I'm afraid it's a "known" issue. The phone simply doesn't hang onto 4G as well as others. It doesn't drop data, but switches to 3G too easily. JB seemed to help somewhat, but it still would drop to 3G when most other devices wouldn't. I've seen enough threads about it here, Moto Support Forums, and elsewhere (including info on attenuation issues) that makes me think it's inherent in the device - either the software or hardware (or combo). I've also had 3 different ones myself - pre and post Jelly Bean - with similar issues. I live in a very strong 4G area as well.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links