DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: signal issue

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I don't want another thunderbolt. Verizon and HTC made it absolutely clear that it won't be updated anymore. If I can find a raz hd for under $200 I'd go that route but I doubt I can get the on ebay or craigslist.
    I'm not going to get rid of the m and get a thunderbolt or an older phone that won't be upgraded.
    If there was only a way to get the m to hold onto a signal more.
    Absolutely Loving my Galaxy S3
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    Funny how people tend to get fixated (suck) blaming and waiting on manufacturers to fix something to their preference ...

wvdroidman,
    Here's three more possibly solutions, based on your comments. Asking $200-250 for Razr HD (would expect could negotiate to $150-200 ...). Move on and stop waiting/complaining (suggest going after the Razr Maxx HD because it has the 3300Mha battery WOT and it has the lowest asking price of the three).

I digress, will PM you the listings rather than post publicly here.
    Already in your PM Box.

All of the above ads were active as of 3:55pm PST - move quickly my friend.

Regards,
    Last edited by Spey; 11-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdroidman View Post
    I don't want another thunderbolt. Verizon and HTC made it absolutely clear that it won't be updated anymore. If I can find a raz hd for under $200 I'd go that route but I doubt I can get the on ebay or craigslist.
    I'm not going to get rid of the m and get a thunderbolt or an older phone that won't be upgraded.
    If there was only a way to get the m to hold onto a signal more.
    This thread is pushing me away from the M. I'm considering upgrading from the Thunderbolt as well and it's been a tough decision.

I have to say that I absolutely despised the Thunderbolt. If I needed 911 I'd be dead before it would actually dial. Sometimes I'd end up calling someone multiple times because it wouldn't respond and I'd hit the name again only to have it dial twice. It was horribly sluggish. Then I rooted it. Life is good. It behaves like I want.

I'm running Skyraider 1.3 and love it. I tried the ICS leak and couldn't take the data drops so I flashed back to Skraider and GB. Might be something to consider if the M isn't working for you.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    If you're in strong 4g area get it. If not go for another phone. There are times when my phone will go to 1x when indoors where my thunderbolt would stay 3g at least.
    Absolutely Loving my Galaxy S3
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    signal issue-capture-1.jpg

Are you for real ...? Not even a thank you - just speed-bumps and reasons to keep complaining …

Ya, I emailed the guy on your behalf (Razr Maxx HD); negotiated purchase price for you from asking $200 to $125 shipping & insurance inclusive, and the guy agreed to send his desktop dock and vehicle dock plus a 64GB USH-I SD-Card because he won't be needing this stuff anymore. I also sent payment via my PayPal account for you and you just need to email the guy your shipping address. Oh wait, maybe something will come up for sale that will take less effort for you …

Hey man, the early bird gets the worm, at this point I’m passing along my time to find a few great deals to others on this forum with a little more initiative...

(Razr Maxx HD N.I.B asking $200, and Two Razr HD’s for asking $250/ea are all fairly good deals in my mind).
    Last edited by Spey; 11-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Sitting in the house my 3g4g strength is -96 to -100 dBm. Pretty weak. I need to check it away from the house since I'm always on wifi here and have good signal strength on the road. I'll try to check tomorrow.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDroidGuyInJax View Post
    Sitting in the house my 3g4g strength is -96 to -100 dBm. Pretty weak. I need to check it away from the house since I'm always on wifi here and have good signal strength on the road. I'll try to check tomorrow.
    From my experience 4G at -96dbm to -100dmb is actually pretty good. I can download at over 2.5Mbps with -107dbm to -110dbm reported signal strength on my device.

Examples related to my 4G signal strength taken from area of moderate to poor signal strength:
    4G -107 to -115dbm = 2-bars
    4G -116 to -128dbm = 1-bar
    Actually got device down to -133dbm with 1-bar before switched from 4G to 3G
    Last edited by Spey; 11-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Hmm. Ok, so I just did a test. 5661 down and a meager 415 up with a local server. Switched to Atlanta and got 376 down and 1617 up. New Orleans gave me 8315/790. At least the first and last weren't bad.

The coverage map looks pretty solid for 4g. I'm going to head to the store in the morning and see what the phones are like side-by-side.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M
    Hmm. Ok, so I just did a test. 5661 down and a meager 415 up with a local server. Switched to Atlanta and got 376 down and 1617 up. New Orleans gave me 8315/790. At least the first and last weren't bad.

The coverage map looks pretty solid for 4g. I'm going to head to the store in the morning and see what the phones are like side-by-side.
    I was in major metro area last week with excellent 4G coverage and I got over 20-Mbps down. I was like OMG, my son looks at his iPhone 4s and says ya sure Android SpeedTest.net is lying to ya ... I just reviewed results 11/11/2012 9:13pm 20,203/down & 3,761/up speeds. I've gotten multiple 15-Mbps down speeds recorded in various rural areas. I think 4G has been changing the measure in mobile data (standard measure now Mbps vs. Kbps).

I think the specifc radio equipment (brand and configuration) on the tower your connected to has a lot to do with quality & speed of connection. Example: device could register a great signal strength (dbm) but not get the really high up/down speeds and opposite - registered signal could be low (dbm) and get high up/down speeds. Also, there's a lot to be said for the dynamic switiching that is going on within the device and the towers related to 4G LTE.

For reference - two of the cel-tower equipment manufacturers are Alcatel Lucent & Ericsson. Equal signal stregth on one manufactures equipment will provide drastically different up/down speed (even though both towers are providing "Verizon" connectivity). So, it's not just about how good a "signal" your device reports having, and with future tower equipment improvements and related software enhancements 4G looks to have a bright future.

I especially like the way the devices are becoming "smarter" with software enhancements (like throttling the CPU down when the screen does sense activity as a means of battery conservation while not losing signal connections).
    Last edited by Spey; 11-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Razr M

I have read in various forums that Metro Atlanta has oversold their coverage, expectations are the infrastructural additions may take some time to catch up (read: probably will not improve next month or for some time). Your results seem to concur with what should be expected at this point in time.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Links