The main reasons I felt OK with changing from an old family play with 700 talk minutes and unlimited data to one of th enew Share Everything plans with 4GB of data:
1. Disconnected my home landline for a savings of $50 a month
2. Unlimited talk minutes on the new plan (see #1)
3. Tethering is now "free".....not that I ever used it, but I can if I need to.
4. Not having to pay full list/retail" price for a new phone.
5. New plan saves me fifty cents a month....LOL
Couple years ago while on vacation I was in some places where I had cell phone service but couldn't get wifi. The phone I had at the time wouldn't do tethering at all...so even a $20 for the month charge wouldn't have helped me.
Now......if I'm on vacation and I find myself in the same situation, I can tether without a second thought. If I'm using "too much" data, I can call in and bump up my plan for the month, then bump it back down when I get back home.