DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Razr M. I returned it

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M

Razr M. I returned it

See my post yesterday, Razr M antennagate. It definitely has a weaker radio/antenna, at least compared to Razr Maxx. Just drops to 3G too often. Tried all over town. 20 db lower level than Razr Maxx. Unacceptable to me.

The 4.3" screen... not really. The android buttons are now part of it. Plus, I think, the Google search widget on the top of every home screen is not removable (it is on the Maxx). So you have about a 3.7" screen for Home screens and 4.0" for running apps. Sadly, it looks like pictures of the upcoming Razr HD do the same thing.

Another annoyance. You notice the usual Android settings button is not in the usual button row. You can still get at it several ways. When settings are required in an app, a settings button does pop up, but it isn't always in the same place. It is in that bottom row sometimes but not always.Very annoying.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    mrcraigcohen
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    That stinks. Sorry you had a bad experience. In areas where I am connected to 4G it has been solid.
    So what phone do you have now?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Just went back to my Droid X. Was going to wait for Razr HD, but I will have to check it doesn't have same problems. Sure looks like the screen size issue I mentioned is true. You can compare phones right in the Verizon store. Look at the actual signal level in dbm in settings, not just the bars.

You are right, only people that use their M in weaker signal areas might notice this problem. The Razr M consistently shows 1 or 2 bars less signal than my Razr Maxx. So If the Razr Maxx is at 1or 2 bars, even 3 sometimes, fine to lock on 4G, the Razr M will drop to 3G. Plus there is a battery drain issue if your phone is constantly looking to connect or bouncing in and out of 4G. I escalated the problem at Motorola and a high level tech is supposed to contact me next week. I will post if it is useful info.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The settings button thing is a side effect of Android 4.0 replacing the menu button with the action bar. Not all developers have updated their apps, and ones that have aren't always consistent. I hate it, too. I'd much rather have my menu button back. I haven't looked yet, but maybe there's a mod out there somewhere that brings that button back. Probably the one and only good thing about software buttons is that they can be hacked and modified. Really, it's just something to get used to, and you'll see it on pretty much every phone that comes out with ICS or later.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You can't always check dbm and think that the phone actually has bad signal. My nexus when I first got it used to show low bars and my phone worked great. I think with the old software it didn't display the right bars.

I tested out the m and the only things I dislike are blur, slight lag, and the screen. Everything else was great.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I returned my m today also..It was dropping calls I put the sim card back in my Max and every thing is fine.
    To bad I like the form and size of the M
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Thats why I say check the actual signal level, not the bars. Best way is side by side with another phone, preferable different droid. If you use it in a high signal area you won't see a problem, but the level difference should still show. So for me, when my Razr Maxx was as low as 3 bars, which was about -100 dbm and staying on 4g, the razr M was -120 dbm and having trouble locking on 4g. Design of the radio (4g) on M is substantially poorer than on the Razr. It will only matter in lower signal strength areas, but is certainly disappointing. I wonder if Moto knows about this. I am trying to find out on their owners forum and through support.

Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    You can't always check dbm and think that the phone actually has bad signal. My nexus when I first got it used to show low bars and my phone worked great. I think with the old software it didn't display the right bars.

I tested out the m and the only things I dislike are blur, slight lag, and the screen. Everything else was great.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    mrcraigcohen
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Real shame you had problems. Coming form the D2G the M has been nothing but great for me. 15 minute call while out for a walk last night and not one drop.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zbaba4 View Post
    Thats why I say check the actual signal level, not the bars. Best way is side by side with another phone, preferable different droid. If you use it in a high signal area you won't see a problem, but the level difference should still show. So for me, when my Razr Maxx was as low as 3 bars, which was about -100 dbm and staying on 4g, the razr M was -120 dbm and having trouble locking on 4g. Design of the radio (4g) on M is substantially poorer than on the Razr. It will only matter in lower signal strength areas, but is certainly disappointing. I wonder if Moto knows about this. I am trying to find out on their owners forum and through support.
    Exactly. Even on the same phone with different ROM's, the bars display differently. With CyanogenMod 4G was a full 4 bars even though the dBm was around 80-90, which on another ROM was only 2 bars.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxed View Post
    I returned my m today also..It was dropping calls I put the sim card back in my Max and every thing is fine.
    To bad I like the form and size of the M
    I went back and got a new M after I waited a week and this one is working as well as my Max
    Last edited by jntdroid; 09-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    jntdroid likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links