DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Razr M Antennagate?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I did that already. I have wifi at home and at work but outside I'd like to be in 4g and sadly it seems to be hard to do on this phone.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I am rarely in a 4g area so I'm not sure yet how it will perform. Tomorrow I will be in a strong 4g area so I will find out how it does.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'll add my anecdotal data to the mix.

Just 'upgraded" to the Droid Razr M from the Droid Incredible last night, even though I had read about potential weak signal issues. I figured it would be quite a bit faster regardless, and I was wrong.

I always got a bit of a weaker 3g signal at work, but I had 2-3 bars and a solid internet connection 95% of the time at this location. My new Razr M has had no data connection at all for most of the day. Right now it's showing 2 bars of 4g, and seems pretty fast. Ten minutes ago nothing. It did switch to 3g once briefly. Argh.

Oh and I'm solidly in Verizon's 4g coverage according to their map, which is kinda bs I know, but I still figured it would be better.

I seriously hope this is not a hardware issue and will be solved by just giving the new phone a little time to get to know the newish network, or some software update, because I do like the phone, but I only have 1 month to return it, which may not be enough time...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    I found a program that I checked out a few weeks ago that can give you an indication of what other people are getting. The program collects real world data points and does not rely on your cell phone service maps. It's called Sensorly and can be found on the Play Store.

This does assume that someone else has collected data points for your area. My small town has the main interstate going into and out of town, but that's all. I could imagine that in big cities the map may not reflect the 3G/4G areas very well. For me, it's "good enough" only because I expect 3G everywhere in my town so its accurate since my entire town is 3G only.

Another cool program I found is called OpenSignal. Again, found in the Play Store. It will actually map the tower you are connected to and show you distance and stuff. It's pretty cool just for messing around.
    Expected ICS late Q3 or Q4(2012). I called it back in February 2012!

Now Expecting JB late Q2 2013. I called it back in October 2012!

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I must be really lucky, but I've had my M for about 2 weeks now and it has only dropped to 3g once that I've noticed. This was in a known bad signal area that my old DX would sometimes drop to 1x .
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I've also had my m for about 2 weeks.. I'm on 2-3 bars 4G at home at work its hit or miss though.. Large factory.. I'm 30 miles west of Detroit, MI and vzw is expanding Detroit area next week so hopefully gets a little better at work... But overall quite happy with the 4G coverage in my area.. Still loving the M
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member

Re: Razr M Antennagate?

Though it does seem to give up on 4G and switch to 3G a little more often than my other devices, the switch is fast and seamless, without dropping data. Based on some other evidence, I'm leaning towards some software tweaks fixing it, or at least greatly improving it.

Make sure, if you're having issues, you report it with details over at the Moto support forums for the Razr M.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR M

No problems here

I've had my M for a couple weeks now and the only time I have had any trouble with not getting 4G was at a concert where everyone was tying up the bandwidth. I also have yet to have a missed call like I did with my Droid X.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Researching RAZR M
    Hello,

I am researching getting a Razr M. I live in an area where there is no 4g, but I do rely on the 3g heavily.

On the topic of a firmware update, there is a claim of a pre-release Jellybean update from Verizon and Motorola. I was wondering if anyone had tried it, and if it affected the antenna issue.

Google, 'RAZR M firmware', or here is a link on a news article on the update:
    Android Advices: How to Update Motorola Droid Razr M with Official Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware - Android Advices

Thanks,
    Bryan
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Welcome to DF bryan! I live in a weak 3g area and I have had no problems with keeping and using 3g. In addition, yesterday I was with my family traveling over 100 miles wine tasting in boonvilles of sorts. I was the only verizon amidst a gs3 and a nexus on sprint, another Android (not sure which one) on AT&T and an iPhone on AT&T. I was the only one who could make phone calls and connect to data without fail. It was quite comical because everyone was constantly telling me they needed my phone. So, my opinion is this phone and Verizon is a pretty darn reliable combination.

As far as the jelly bean leak, I'm not sure how possible that is. The article states that you must be rooted and I don't think the ability to root the M has been developed yet. Maybe that leak only applies to the developer M's with the unlocked bootloaders.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links